• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inconsistent Starting

Yellow Rose

Suspended
Sometimes my NSX fires immediately upon turning the ignition key.....I bet the crankshaft barely makes a full revolution when the engine fires.

Sometimes the engine cranks for about two seconds (I dunno, maybe a dozen or so revolutions) before firing.

Every once it a while it won’t start after cranking for a couple of seconds. I turn the key off then try again and the engine starts. A couple of times I did not turn the key off and kept cranking but the engine did not fire, as it was flooded. (I never pump the gas pedal when starting - I thought fuel injected engines could not be flooded.) Try again but no luck. Try back in thirty minutes and it starts.

Search suggests possibly the ignition switch, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injectors or main relay.

Ignition switch - I’m not sure I buy this. In my case, the ignition switch is properly commanding the starter to crank. And if it is giving juice to the starter power, then it is also flowing current to the igniter and coil packs, right?

Fuel pump - rock solid 54 PSI.

Fuel filter - only 22k miles old.

Fuel injectors - only 22k miles old.

Main relay - as with the ignition switch I don’t consider this to be a factor. Doesn’t the main relay give juice to the fuel pump? If my fuel pump is at 54 PSI, then the main relay can’t be bad.....unless there is another internal circuit that goes to the coil packs.

This above starting descriptions are random and not predictable, independent of engine temperature or ambient air temperature.....cold-cold, cold-hot, hot-hot, hot-cold.....it makes no difference.

???

I'm not mechanical, but seems to me many years, and cars ago I had a similar problem, it was diagnosed as a "flat spot" on the starter coil. FWIW good luck!!!

I have a SS box with my BBSC and I believe that is the problem as I have the same intermittent starting problem. It started with the first SS box I installed two years ago. Before that install, my car ALWAYS started. The weird thing is when it doesn't start (and you can crank the starter as long as you like), just a simple push with the car in first gear and pop the clutch and it starts it every time. I've had the "best NSX minds" think about this and no-one can figure it out. If anyone out there can figure it out, you will have outsmarted "the best".

I noticed mine was difficult to start after the BBSC install (NEVER EVER had a problem prior to the install) I assumed that it was b/c of the bigger injectors, ss box, s/c etc. When I went to Reno-Fernly raceway with http://www.ncracing.org/ I tried for 30 min the first morning to get the car to start (killed the battery, had to get a jump from a 2004 Porsche 911 Carrera) It seemed the sun had to come up and warm it up a bit.

I used to see the same problem once or twice a month. After you put the key in, try waiting for all the warning lights to go out before starting it. I usually wait 2-3 seconds before starting and I havent seen the problem in over a year now.

-- Joe

JoeSchmoe said:
I used to see the same problem once or twice a month. After you put the key in, try waiting for all the warning lights to go out before starting it. I usually wait 2-3 seconds before starting and I havent seen the problem in over a year now.

-- Joe

hmm.. that's interesting, i'll have to try it. Since my last SSbox tune (Since april i think??) I've only had one episode where i thought the car was not going to start, and it ended up started just as i was going to get a baseball bat and beat the engine. Otherwise, it's started consistently every single time, which runs into the hundreds of starts by now..2-3000 miles i'd say. Yeah, i don't know if it's the larger injectors or the SSbox, but mine is a 2000 with 18k on the clock, so i don't think it's cause of tired electronics or whatever..

Andy

Despite your logical (and I agree with it ) of ruling out of the Main Relay.

I'm going to state that your symptoms are caused a bad Main Relay.

I could hear the fuel pump windup and prime every single time....and yet I would get inconsistant starting. Once I replaced the main relay: it was consistant and started in the normal less than a second cranking.

Drew

Detective Drew, et al - interesting responses.

While I do have the BBSC and SS box, I did not mention this in my opening thread. Yet, some of you pointed out that you have similar "starting problems" with your BBSC and SS box.

I rec'd my BBSC + SS V1 in October 2002. The first starting hiccup was over a year later in November 2003. I upgraded to the SS V2 in January 2004. Since then I have had only two "starting problems" but have been manageable by "listening" to when the engine is about to fire.

Drew - I think for purposes of ruling out variables, I will order a main relay tomorrow.

Joe - I have tried your method and on one occasion, did experience the "starting problem" nonetheless.

AndyVecsey said:
I rec'd my BBSC + SS V1 in October 2002. The first starting hiccup was over a year later in November 2003. I upgraded to the SS V2 in January 2004.

My starting problem began the day I installed my BBSC and has been a source of major disappointment ever since due to some of the embarrassing situations I've been put in.

crank the engine but do not let the key return all the way to the on position... stop just shy of it and hold it with your hand. does the engine still die?

nicholas421 said:
crank the engine but do not let the key return all the way to the on position... stop just shy of it and hold it with your hand. does the engine still die?
I don't know who you are asking this question of but if it is me, I don't have to worry about it dying, because when this condition arises, it just doesn't start. You can crank forever and it won't start. I may have mentioned in an earlier post that when this happens, you can either wait (usually more then 1/2 hour) or you can turn on the key, put it in first, and look for some sympathetic bystanders to give you a little push. It doesn't take much, just enough to get the engine to turn a couple of times. Pop the clutch and your off. Heck, I've even started parking on hills when possible just in case it doesn't start when I want to go.
BTW, I haven't said much about this in the past because it was very prevalent with my first SS box. Almost non-existent with my second SS box and now becoming a real pain in the a$$ with my third SS box.

Last edited:
BBSC = Basch Boost Supercharger…..a Paxton supercharger kit for the NSX.

SS = Split Second…..a piggyback engine management controller for the BBSC.

For more details, do a search herein for the two iitems.

i just experienced this problem last night.
i was parked on a relatively steep decline and was very low on fuel. immediate wishful thinking was that it was a fluke thing related to that. but, same thing happened this morning.

pretty consistent with some of the other experiences. doesnt' start unless i wait a few seconds and try again. i'm a bit nervous since i have a 12hour drive coming up on thursday and i obviously don't want to have this happen in the middle of 'nowhere'.

is there an easy way to test the main relay?
the only thing that was done to the car recently was the 6speed lock out box. any chance that install could have affected anything? i doubt it, but just checking.

thanks
james

Nike - Just Do It

Pixel - I know of no test for the main relay; however, that does not mean there is not one. That said, I ordered a main relay and it should be here next week. For the cost of a round of golf, it is "cheap maintenance" to ensure consistent starting. I hope. :)

hey andy,

that's a good idea. i think i'll do that too. running out of time here, but hopefully i can get one in a day.

it has been very consistent in its behavior. after sitting for a while, it doesn't want to start. but, if i only let it sit for say15-20 minutes after a drive, it starts right up. any longer than that it doesn't.

does that spark any additional ideas to what the culprit could be?

james

Back