• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

install ctsc on my '91 or leave stock?

folks,

as my sig indicates, i previously leased a '00 nsx with a ctsc installed. when i returned the car, i had the ctsc removed and kept it. late last year i bought a pristine '91 (just turned 30k miles) and have been waiting to get to the point where i felt i *had* to install the ctsc to satisfy the FI urge.

still waiting for the urge.

while at lunch today with a small group of car collector friends of mine, we discussed the stock vs modded issue - with "stock" being the recommendation from the majority.

frankly, i'd like to get off the dime one way or the other and would appreciate some input from you folks. i bought this car because i love the looks and handling and because it was meticulously maintained - i'm planning on keeping the car until they bury me (52 now, think i've got a few more years in me :)

what would you do - leave stock or install the blower?

thx for your thoughts on what is surely a subjective issue.
hal

as long as you can return it to stock why not. You could change it back and who would know. or sell with the sc and the original parts.

I don't know the answer to your question but have some other questions that are less divisive:

1) What is the right religion?
2) Which political party should I join?
3) Should I be pro-life or pro-choice?

:)

Seriously - who better then you to determine that answer? You have had both and have the parts available.

I have a friend who tracks his NSX and he once told me "as soon as a supercharged NSX passes me at TRACKNAME, I will buy one for myself". That was a number of years ago and he still is NA! Now if your "track" is a drag strip - might be a different story!

We are all very blessed to be able to stress about and debate such things IMO. We are all lucky folks and should count our blessings.

Good luck!

I say sc it. You have a proven/well researched/not too invasive/stealthy form of FI. You will wish you did it when you get spanked by a car half the $$ of the NSX or a car in the same league as the NSX.

Jeff

If you want it for the street, then install it. If you want it for HPDE's, sell it, and spend the money on suspension, slicks, BBK, safety equip, etc etc, because, I am one of those guys still waiting for a SC NSX to EVER pass my NA on a road course. It is NOT needed. Well maybe I could hunt down those F360's Hmmmmmmmmmm

I would opt for the SC. Like others state above, you can always return to stock. If you at the track I drive at, you will find you will always get left behind on the front and back straight aways with a NA. Simply not enough power to keep up with the higher HP cars. Our track uses a 1/4 mile for the front straight so you can easily hit 250km/h before you start threshold braking for turn 1. Without SC, you only hit 215-220km/h.

Bottomline we can all observe and provide opinion, but the best decision is made by what your gut feel is telling you. Best of success with whatever you chose. :wink:

jump in... the water is warm! :wink:

I am honestly surprised you have not felt the need to install it going from a 3.2 6-speed to a 3.0 5-speed stock. That is a pretty large difference. I would have thought the first thing you would have done was install the CTSC.

I say install it and enjoy it. Especially with that LONG second gear.

matteni said:
I don't know the answer to your question but have some other questions that are less divisive:

1) What is the right religion?
2) Which political party should I join?
3) Should I be pro-life or pro-choice?

:)

Seriously - who better then you to determine that answer? You have had both and have the parts available.

I have a friend who tracks his NSX and he once told me "as soon as a supercharged NSX passes me at TRACKNAME, I will buy one for myself". That was a number of years ago and he still is NA! Now if your "track" is a drag strip - might be a different story!

We are all very blessed to be able to stress about and debate such things IMO. We are all lucky folks and should count our blessings.

Good luck!

Matteni, do you want a SC? :smile: I know it would be a matter of just getting it, to those that think I am fishing....
C'mon , buddy don't you really want to be blown?

On topic Get the SC... Stock sucks...:biggrin:

matteni said:
I have a friend who tracks his NSX and he once told me "as soon as a supercharged NSX passes me at TRACKNAME, I will buy one for myself". !

I guess I undestand that, but I don't think it is other NSX's that are going to be passing him on the track. More like 911 Turbos, Gt3s, 360's, etc. etc.

thx to each for your thoughts, i appreciate hearing from you. i'll bump the thread if/when i get off the dime one way or another :confused:

ChopsJazz said:
Hal, leave it stock.

Why don't you drop the SC off at my place for safe keeping? :wink:

Just a thought.
ken,

sounds like a plan - but if i do that, lunch @ duarte's on you, right? :tongue:

hal

Hal,
Since you already HAVE the CTSC sitting around, you might as well make use of it. In addition, the CTSC is almost a direct bolt on thing that can be easily unbolted just like your old white NSX.
Steve

matteni said:
Exactly. This is a question that you are better qualified than anyone else to answer. If you feel that you shouldn't put it on unless/until you get that urge, then do it if and when you get that urge.

matteni said:
NetViper said:
I guess I undestand that, but I don't think it is other NSX's that are going to be passing him on the track. More like 911 Turbos, Gt3s, 360's, etc. etc.
Not necessarily. The whole point is, a faster driver in a slower car will be faster than a slower driver in a faster car, every time. It's all about the driver, not the car.

When I was at Mid-Ohio this spring, an instructor who flew to the event had an automatic-transmission, V6 Mustang that he rented at the airport, and was passing every super-fast sports car in sight, including just about everyone in the instructor group!

whiteNSXs said:
Hal,
Since you already HAVE the CTSC sitting around, you might as well make use of it. In addition, the CTSC is almost a direct bolt on thing that can be easily unbolted just like your old white NSX.
Steve
agreed, steve.

queenlives said:
i'm not sure i understand your question, please re-phrase.

I think he means why did you purchase a CTSC when you only leased the NSX.

Anyway, don't you notice a major peformance drop??

NetViper said:
I think he means why did you purchase a CTSC when you only leased the NSX.

Anyway, don't you notice a major peformance drop??
i was thinking the same thing, too, wrt buy vs lease. got the blower/installed by mark basch, so never discussed lease... actually, when i leased the car, i assumed i'd purchase it after the lease but honda had zero negotiating room for me, so i let it expire.

as for the performance drop post-blower, yes - it was signficant. having said that, i remember driving it home and thinking "geez, this is a **suh-weet** car, blower or no. (quieter without the box of rocks in the blower, btw ;)

so re-acquainting myself with a NA car has been nice... there's no WHOOSH and the cars behind me don't tiny real quick anymore, but it's still a great car in NA mode.

re the timing belt, it was done ~5k miles ago, before i bought the car... good idea, though - thx.
hal

My idea is that you seemed to buy the low mileage 91 for its colletor's value. And whoever told you to keep it stock might have some collector's sense in him as to see the car as an investment... so by their book, you shouldn't drive it everyday and modify it anyway, including the OEM Wheels.

ok, then here's the question:
1. what are you buying the 91 for?
2. If you intended to keep it stock, would the CTSC too much for the 15/16 tires to handle? (not to mention the OEM Brakes and suspension.)
3. What is the alternative? buying one in mechanical sound but less prestine nsx with more mileage and put the CTSC back on and other mods to have fun? or even convert it to dedicated street car??

my 2 cents.

Back