• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPad in console

iPad is just way to big to fit in a NSX :(, hope your project goes well though.

Apple has touch screens nailed perfectly, i would LOVE to see a in-car nav system that was developed by apple.

Sadly I decided not to go that direction. I was able to find a suitable location for everything but the vents, and living in Arizona without vents is not an option.

I have also decided that Android seems to make a better choice for an in car setup due to the multiple launcher options (I'll post some pics in the full write up later this week) as well as the awesome built in nav system.

I may venture back to the actual custom dash option once I get ahold of a xoom or galaxy tab 10 inch.

Could you maybe lower the ipad some more in the console, relocate the hvac controls to center arm rest? that way, you could still keep your vents intact.

The ipad in that photo was being held up by the sides of the dash. You couldn't move it any lower unless you actually started cutting the dash up.

Yesterday Jon at Basch Acura Service made the bracket and I got everything bolted in place. It just needs to be finished (painted and wrapped in di noc). Should be finished tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Guys,

I just stumbled onto this thread and we have already started planning to do this for quite some time now.

Remember the iPad and iPad2 are different sizes. This is one of the reasons we held off on doing this to our new s2000. The fitment will take some work in the NSX as it's much harder to work within the confines of a space vs. cutting a hold and building a bezel around an open space.

For the NSX, you have 4 major challenges I see and each one is unique:

a) Glare from angle of the iPad 2
b) Width of OEM dash
c) Relocation of OEM electronics
d) Blockage of OEM center vents which is crucial

Right now we are starting the measurements to fit an iPad2 into our s2000 first since this is a project we had wanted to start a long time ago. the NSX is a different animal all together. Also for those who are doing this, DO NOT FORGET you cannot use an iPad as your primary audio device. Doing so is very dangerous as the GUI interface is not meant for driving. Also in many states having a TV within direct view of the driver is ILLEGAL!

In our setup we plan to use a single DIN sized radio and feed the iPad2 through the AUX input so your general radio, volume, etc is still easily accessible. No one should be using an iPad while driving!

So in the NSX that adds one more level of difficulty - where are you going to put the DIN sized radio? Frankly I think the NSX dash is too small for an iPad unless you totally rebuild the whole dash. This is something 95% of NSX owners do not want to do so.....?

rick

Just so you guys know I've studied the NSX dash....

IMG_6860.jpg

The iPad2 would have to sit at an angle similiar to how we mounted this Kenwood to avoid glare:
IMG_3886.jpg

Guys,

a) Glare from angle of the iPad 2
b) Width of OEM dash
c) Relocation of OEM electronics
d) Blockage of OEM center vents which is crucial

Right now we are starting the measurements to fit an iPad2 into our s2000 first since this is a project we had wanted to start a long time ago. the NSX is a different animal all together. Also for those who are doing this, DO NOT FORGET you cannot use an iPad as your primary audio device. Doing so is very dangerous as the GUI interface is not meant for driving. Also in many states having a TV within direct view of the driver is ILLEGAL!

In our setup we plan to use a single DIN sized radio and feed the iPad2 through the AUX input so your general radio, volume, etc is still easily accessible. No one should be using an iPad while driving!

So in the NSX that adds one more level of difficulty - where are you going to put the DIN sized radio? Frankly I think the NSX dash is too small for an iPad unless you totally rebuild the whole dash. This is something 95% of NSX owners do not want to do so.....?

rick

Why couldn't you use it as your primary audio device? Sure, it wasn't made for a vehicle, but if you want to get technical, no car stereo is made for driving, they all detract from driving, unless you have steering wheel controls. Technically, it's not a television either. What makes it any different than any after market double din touch screen headunit that can play video also?

The biggest challenge I see is physically installing it. relocating the A/C controls is no biggie, as it has been done before. I guess this would have been perfect if Apple came out with a smaller iPad, say 7-8".

Why couldn't you use it as your primary audio device? Sure, it wasn't made for a vehicle, but if you want to get technical, no car stereo is made for driving, they all detract from driving, unless you have steering wheel controls. Technically, it's not a television either. What makes it any different than any after market double din touch screen headunit that can play video also?

The biggest challenge I see is physically installing it. relocating the A/C controls is no biggie, as it has been done before. I guess this would have been perfect if Apple came out with a smaller iPad, say 7-8".

LOL go try it next time while driving and let me know how it goes :eek:

S4 i think it would need to be even closer to vertical. Remember it has a glass screen and at that angle it'll be reflecting whatever is out the back window. I drove around with mine mounted in there for about a week and it was pretty usable as an only source.

The ipad 2 isn't really a different size then the original, its 1 mm shorter 3 mm narrower and the depth would not matter.

I am much happier now just using the galaxy tab in the nav pod area, do to the easier installation requirements.

Last edited:
LOL go try it next time while driving and let me know how it goes :eek:

I don't have an NSX anymore at the moment, but what would be any different than operating a double din headunit? you still have to take your eyes off the road for both to use the screen. Who sits there are navigates through their iPad/Double-Din headunit the whole time they are driving anyways?? Just hit play, and go on your way.

I hope someone actually attempts this so I can see the outcome

This is actually an interesting topic for me since I work in telematics and infotainment, but it should be noted that if you ignore the inherent downsides of using a touch-based system, the iPad would not actually be bad at all. In fact, with a clever install and a good App (designed primarily to be used within the automotive space), it would be pretty good.

On that note, I'd actually say Android would provide a better option for this sort of thing. Since Android 2.2, the OS supports CAR_MODE which allows apps that support the configuration to launch in an automotive "friendly" UI. Google's Voice Actions also go a long way in controlling key features of the system (Navigation, audio, email, sms, etc.) Apps like Vlingo provide similar functionality and also support CAR_MODE.

I would head towards the Galaxy Tab or the HTC Flier over the Playbook. At least until the playbook is able to use android apps properly.

The Car Mode in Android really seems to give it a step up over iOS and BlueBerry just for the ability to use a custom car interface.

On that note, if apple ever makes a 7-8 inch iPad I'll be the first in line...

http://www.mp3car.com/mimics/

Looks pretty cool. It doesn't provide anything useful over my current galaxy tab setup, however it is a 7inch iPhone in your dash.

Thank you for posting this, now I don't have to cut the dash on my ridgeline. When I get another NSX, I'm definitely going this route. Great alternative for NSX owners with iPhones.

<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/mJ5yDRD7SIk?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/mJ5yDRD7SIk?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Wow, that mimic is hot. I actually jailbroke my iPhone, installed an app that lets you rotate the all screens including the home scree to landscape, and was planning on custom mounting the iPhone, or iPod Touch into the dash to be a multimedia source, but not I don't have to go through all that trouble. I'm getting one of these mimic things. I think I'll add an EQ Preamp so I can use an external volume control generally found on such EQ preamps insted of the touch screen slider, but other than that this is exactly what I was waiting for.:biggrin:

Wow, that mimic is hot. I actually jailbroke my iPhone, installed an app that lets you rotate the all screens including the home scree to landscape, and was planning on custom mounting the iPhone, or iPod Touch into the dash to be a multimedia source, but not I don't have to go through all that trouble. I'm getting one of these mimic things. I think I'll add an EQ Preamp so I can use an external volume control generally found on such EQ preamps insted of the touch screen slider, but other than that this is exactly what I was waiting for.:biggrin:

I'm still looking more into this. It's still a beta product, but hopefully it gets refined soon. Even as is, I think I may still pull the trigger on it.

I'm still looking more into this. It's still a beta product, but hopefully it gets refined soon. Even as is, I think I may still pull the trigger on it.

I've been reading up on it too. I already have most of the jailbreak apps on my phone already so it doesn't look like I'll need much more. I even have half the cables they say is required. I actually may not use my iPhone, but use a 64G iPod Touch, and only use the iPhone if needed. I can tether the iPod touch if I need the internet connection off my iPhone. The hands free echo problem makes me want to keep the iPhone independent so I can make clean calls. I think I'm going to do this. I have a ghetto computer speaker system running off an inverter plugged into my iPhone right now since my BOSE amps died and I haven't had time to install my A/V gear from my previous NSX so I need something now. :tongue:

I've been reading up on it too. I already have most of the jailbreak apps on my phone already so it doesn't look like I'll need much more. I even have half the cables they say is required. I actually may not use my iPhone, but use a 64G iPod Touch, and only use the iPhone if needed. I can tether the iPod touch if I need the internet connection off my iPhone. The hands free echo problem makes me want to keep the iPhone independent so I can make clean calls. I think I'm going to do this. I have a ghetto computer speaker system running off an inverter plugged into my iPhone right now since my BOSE amps died and I haven't had time to install my A/V gear from my previous NSX so I need something now. :tongue:

I'm still trying to figure out if it only uses one cable for this to work. I'd like for video output and charging to be from one cable.

From what I've seen there is only one cable for video/charging (the apple hdmi adapter). What I don't like is the last version I saw required you to also connect the 3.5 jack for audio. Since the hdmi cable is sending audio and you already have something connected Bluetooth, I would imagine they will/have already removed the need for the 3.5mm connection.

From what I've seen there is only one cable for video/charging (the apple hdmi adapter). What I don't like is the last version I saw required you to also connect the 3.5 jack for audio. Since the hdmi cable is sending audio and you already have something connected Bluetooth, I would imagine they will/have already removed the need for the 3.5mm connection.

From what I gather, the Mimics module connects to the iPhone via bluetooth, so audio through BT is defeated, so the headphone jack has to be used instead. There's the Apple HDMI adapter, but I don't know if there are HDMI capable touch screens available, that would have to support audio through HDMI on top of video.

As for charging the iPhone/iPod/iPad, there are AV adapters that support charging while being used, wether it's VGA, HDMI, Composite, or Component.

Sounds like the guys over at MP3.com are working on new solutions.

Currently they want you to use the Apple HDMI cable to connect it up, it's part of their "cable package". Lilliput (the display maker) offers a few HDMI equipped 7 inch displays.

It appears they are working on creating an all in one dock/connector to handle video audio and charging according to their forums.

There is no reason other then cost that they couldn't add the DSP chip and the proper profiles to their Mimic Board and get bluetooth audio, however if you already have to connect the device for video there is no reason for it.

Back