• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is car performance not cool any more?

Vamp is talking about the semi-sad state of the tuning scene, with kids being into making their cars as undriveable as possible. If you haven't seen the scene recently, you might not want to look. If you're curious, google 'hellaflush'.

That is what I mean. They are just undrivable and actually dangerous to drive.

Rolling junk yards are cool today.

7539482426_ef4823fc22_o.jpg

7539483270_e4a599b5aa_o.jpg

Sorry Vamp, completely misunderstood what you were talking about. The tuner scene is pretty foreign to me. I am a stock kind of guy. I say that but I do like the "outlaws" as they are called in the Porsche world - like the 356s they soup up. That is waaaaaay different from the "ricer" scene.

You have to be young I guess. I guess I'm just out of the loop of the tuners.

I don't see this fad lasting too long. Kids get bored easily. They really can't make the cars look any sillier, so maybe the trend will reverse and they'll try to create nice looking & functional rides again.

you all do have a point, there were so many stock cars that are able to smoke their tires with cruise control switch, with your girl friend's mom driving it... Your grandma's 2013 Altima doing 0-60 in 5.7 sec.... What's the point of drag racing anyone at the light??

Even at the track, you may just get passed left and right by some M cars, vette, not to mention GTR... while those drivers are slurping their smoothies...

If you ever done triple digit and got caught, you will be on youtube, local news.. branded as dangerous person alives next to serial killers, child molest, rapists...etc.

Car donuts anyone? you have so many stunt drivers doing hotwheels actions and that shoe maker Ken Block had done stuff on youtube pushing envelop again and again. NO matter what you do, you are most likely on the youtube list of something starting with "FAILED...."

It seriously sucks to be young... :biggrin:

yeap it all comes down to how much money you have these days... However, putting some wheels n slammed the cars are cool. scraping the driveways or parking lot entrances, you get to challenge that guy in his lowered R8.. bet u can't scrap your bumper off like i did to my EF!!!!

No offense to the people who digs it. But I really do not understand and or like the whole point of being hella dropped like ur car is sitting of the wheels, being hella flush to the point where the wheels might as well come off all together. They talk about having "cool stance" but in my terms its idiotic looking. Ok, I will have to agree that some of the things we put on our cars are over doing it in terms of budget and limited performance functionality on the streets, but comparatively speaking, most of our mods are still beneficial in some way. In their ways, besides look (which is cool sometimes, but most of the time its #*^!@^* ),there is nothing else beneficial.

My buddy who drives a 08" GTI which is slammed to the point where EVERY little bump scratches his lips and wheels scrap everytime he goes on any sort of ramp or bumps will still say its all about the looks. But I say he just likes burning his cash for going through multiple cracked lips, grinding through couple fender liners, and ruining his fenders + underbody, sets of tires gone within months, and problems with his suspension parts etc etc. . . yup you get the point.

:redface:

Last edited:
In Illinois they just stopped testing OBD1 cars for emissions - I'm good to go :smile:

Also, phryxis, sweet Prelude. I had a 4th gen years ago but sold it, I might go back and buy one again.

Rolling junk yards are cool today.

7539482426_ef4823fc22_o.jpg

7539483270_e4a599b5aa_o.jpg

You know I don't think that looks that bad with the exclusion of the excessive camber and streched tires. It kind looks like a modern day import rat rod where the car looks like a rust bucket but still pull off a unique clean look to it. Maybe because I'm still young it's not as offensive to me to see stuff like this thought lol. ;)

In Illinois they just stopped testing OBD1 cars for emissions - I'm good to go :smile:

Also, phryxis, sweet Prelude. I had a 4th gen years ago but sold it, I might go back and buy one again.

Is this true? If so, then If I ever get my NSX back then I would be able to legally title it here. This is REALLY good to hear!

Is this true? If so, then If I ever get my NSX back then I would be able to legally title it here. This is REALLY good to hear!

Definitely true. Might cost you 1000 dollars to register it if you have to pay the use tax. I bought mine in Indiana and because it is over 15 years old and worth more than 15 grand, 1000 dollar tax had to be paid to register.

The hellaflush crowd is a small percentage. There's still a lot of younger enthusiasts who appreciate performance. I frequent the BRZ/FR-S forum and the crowd there is mostly 20-30-ish. They like real-world performance and handling. And for the most part, when someone posts a pic of lambo doors, or 22 inch wheels, the disdain is fast and sure.

The hellaflush crowd is a small percentage. There's still a lot of younger enthusiasts who appreciate performance. I frequent the BRZ/FR-S forum and the crowd there is mostly 20-30-ish. They like real-world performance and handling. And for the most part, when someone posts a pic of lambo doors, or 22 inch wheels, the disdain is fast and sure.

Hear hear. I know a kid in high school who races spec Miata.

I think the comment about street scene being dead is very true. I grew up in Houston and we used to drag race down westheimer in the last 80's/early 90's. The cops knew all about it and as long as we weren't being Crazy they let us get away with it. Sadly... with the invention of youtube, Cell phone cameras, video surveillance..etc etc the kids today have no choice. They can either do the import car scene with interesting mods and body kits to get attention or they can going to the track. Everything else is done with. Groups drive are ok but not really THAT fun.

That's why Hellaflush and crazy camber kits are in fashion with the car guys today... Truly sad.

I think it's dying, if not dead because there is no point of fixing up a beater, trying to squeeze 10 more HP after spending more money than what the car is worth, while you can simply buy a car that is nicely packaged.

Tuning scene is dying in Japan as well.

I must be really old and out touch, because I don't even know what a shaved engine bay is....:confused:....lol. I think that if I saw that car in the pic going down the road I would try to flag him down telling him suspension had snapped in hail...lol

I don't know how anybody that doesn't track can stay entertained even past 5 years. Enjoying a stock/mildly-stock car is one thing but endlessly pumping money into endlessly modifying a car for no purpose just seems pretty weird to me.

Last edited:
I don't know how anybody that doesn't track can stay entertained even past 5 years. Enjoying a stock/mildly-stock car is one thing but endlessly pumping money into endlessly modifying a car for no purpose just seems pretty weird to me.

Your issue is pretty clear to me. You see "no purpose" where clearly others have a purpose.

I don't know how anybody can only see things from their point of view........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just a thought (cause I see the same thing) is that maybe all of the legal push back against the tuner community has caused an approach of "pimped out" rather than "pumped up"? I don't know. My brother in law and I went to a local car meet and were wondering why nobody ever shows off their engines any more. Now it is about heavy wheels and bad camber. A tricycle could out handle most cars I saw there. Of course, we are getting older and may be missing the point. I used to have 2 13" subs in the back of my Prelude and thought I was the shit; what a maroon.

That seems so non functional from the crowd before you which could use their home stereo speaker in both their car and their house, and we thought we were the shit too. Then you guys come along with a sub box that can only be used in the car. :wink::biggrin:

i think the trend is called "ToiletFlush" so they are supposed to be rolling piles of crap. however, unlike real crap, they provide no function.

I can't comment on other regions, so I'll go into detail about mine. In the mid 2000's or so we were plagued by ridiculous car builds that had no purpose. Bling plus huge motor builds were at its peak, as well as the traditional "car shows." This is what it took to take "best of show" and that sort of thing. This all sorta died out around 2007 or so. I partially blame the economy, but people started to become more practical and their builds reflected this ideal. Now, I'm seeing some lighter aesthetic mods and lighter performance mods as well. Personally, I'm glad to see the traditional trailer queen show cars gone from this "scene."

Back