• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is melatonin safe for use as sleeping aid?

It does not work for everyone. I have some patients that swear by it and some that it has little affect on. The one advantage is that you don't have addicting side affects like with prescription meds. Most of the prescription meds are habit forming so you need to only use them for limited amounts of time, just ask eminem.

Re: Is metatonin safe for use as sleeping aid?

Terrypancake is correct, it is a product that is naturally produced in the body...in small amounts.

We're starting to see it less and less on the shelves now as I think they're not sure of the long term effects. You're taking a product that is naturally produced in small amounts, and grossly emphasizing it.

About ten years ago, tryptophan, one of the naturally found amino acids in the body, was marketed as a relaxant/sleeping product in much the same manner as melatonin. Folks figured, "If one tablet is good, two or three have to be better". Then folks started croaking (eosinohilia myalgia, a blood disorder) and that was the end of that.

Bottom line: While there are good uses for most natural products, they are marketed in this country as "food supplements" and don't have to pass FDA safety tests.

occasionally i use melatonin for int'l travel/jet lag. i find that it works reasonably well for a non-prescription aid, though i couldn't point to "did this and i slept like a rock."

i also find that exercise earlier in the day and a **very hot** bath immediately prior to bed are great sleep aids... if i'm traveling across many time zones and exercise isn't possible, i get some walking around exercise when i arrive, then hot bath and to bed asap... almost always works (for me) like a charm.

I use it for jet lag as I travel to Asia from North America constantly...i find it works to help me get a full sleep most times, without too much groginess.

Don't know the long term effects either.

I just tried melatonin for my sleep problems. I would take it a few hours before bed at night. I still slept like crap, but would be absolutely exhausted all day long. Maybe I should have taken it at breakfast so I'd be tired by bedtime.

I tried it for a while at a point where my sleep time would slowly drift from 11pm to 2am. I would take it at around 10pm for it to kick in around 11pm. Did nt work predictably and sometimes I needed to take just half a tablet to avoid the groggy/hangover feeling the next day.

Haven't taken it in a couple of years now though as I find that a banana before bedtime (which also is a natural source of melatonin) helps a lot with sleep as does heavy exercise in the AM-5pm. I find that any exercise after 6pm prevents me from falling asleep early.

I just tried melatonin for my sleep problems. I would take it a few hours before bed at night. I still slept like crap, but would be absolutely exhausted all day long. Maybe I should have taken it at breakfast so I'd be tired by bedtime.

You might have sleep apnea, or something else... Go to a sleep study and you will find out.

Took it once, gave me some creepy dreams. Didn't take it again. Too weird for me.

Took it once, gave me some creepy dreams. Didn't take it again. Too weird for me.

That happened to me with ambien. Tried it once and never again. I was laying in my bed and all of the sudden a vase on my dresser turned into a clown head and he tried to get into my watch box. :eek:

That happened to me with ambien. Tried it once and never again. I was laying in my bed and all of the sudden a vase on my dresser turned into a clown head and he tried to get into my watch box. :eek:

Sounds like a bad trip....or a good one :biggrin:

My wife drinks some herbal tea that calms her nerves before bed.

Last edited:
I've used it on and off for several years now (maybe around 3-4) and I have found one brand very effective while others not so much:

Schiff has worked brilliantly nearly every time I take it. It not only has melatonin, but l-theanine (found in green tea) that is supposed to relax you.

I've ended up taking 2x the rec dosage to get the desired effect, and it usually puts me to sleep in 30 min.

I've tried CVS brand melatonin (no l theanine) and it has not worked as well.

However, these are just my personal experiences, and I recognize that many other factors may have influenced what I have observed.

Melatonin is produced naturally in the body, and is suppressed by light. So if you are having trouble sleeping, I recommend trying to avoid light (bright desk lamps, TVs, computer screens) around bedtime.

And although it i sproduced naturally, I believe the supplements are derived from animals, and it is impossible to know just how good the quality control is at these facilities without having inside information or having visited the premises and talked to the staff.

As with any supplement, you will be disturbing your bodies natural feedback regulation. There is going to be a natural balance in you brain of production of melatonin, and the receptors that interact with it. By introducing larger amounts exogenously, you may either decrease the natural production, or decrease the amount of receptors that interact with natural melatoning--thus making you dependent on it to some degree.

I feel fine personally, but I have no way of quantitatively measuring how taking it has affected my body. However, I can say that generally, I have experienced no ill side effects.

The only thing I know for sure is don't rely on alcohol as a sleep aid. It has been shown to produce worse sleep despite making you drowsier.

BTW: the schiff brand can be found at costco. I have no affiliation with them, and in no way endorse their product. I am merely stating my PERSONAL experiences with them. I am not a doctor, and do not provide any advice whatsoever. I advise you to see your doctor for advice.

Last edited:
I've used it on and off for several years now (maybe around 3-4) and I have found one brand very effective while others not so much:

Schiff has worked brilliantly nearly every time I take it. It not only has melatonin, but l-theanine (found in green tea) that is supposed to relax you.

I've ended up taking 2x the rec dosage to get the desired effect, and it usually puts me to sleep in 30 min.

I've tried CVS brand melatonin (no l theanine) and it has not worked as well.

However, these are just my personal experiences, and I recognize that many other factors may have influenced what I have observed.

Melatonin is produced naturally in the body, and is suppressed by light. So if you are having trouble sleeping, I recommend trying to avoid light (bright desk lamps, TVs, computer screens) around bedtime.

And although it i sproduced naturally, I believe the supplements are derived from animals, and it is impossible to know just how good the quality control is at these facilities without having inside information or having visited the premises and talked to the staff.

As with any supplement, you will be disturbing your bodies natural feedback regulation. There is going to be a natural balance in you brain of production of melatonin, and the receptors that interact with it. By introducing larger amounts exogenously, you may either decrease the natural production, or decrease the amount of receptors that interact with natural melatoning--thus making you dependent on it to some degree.

I feel fine personally, but I have no way of quantitatively measuring how taking it has affected my body. However, I can say that generally, I have experienced no ill side effects.

The only thing I know for sure is don't rely on alcohol as a sleep aid. It has been shown to produce worse sleep despite making you drowsier.

BTW: the schiff brand can be found at costco. I have no affiliation with them, and in no way endorse their product. I am merely stating my PERSONAL experiences with them. I am not a doctor, and do not provide any advice whatsoever. I advise you to see your doctor for advice.

i like trader joe's melatonin. i chew it up, i am asleep in 30 minutes.
sometimes i wake up about 5 hours later. i think a timed release product that worked well would be nice - the timed release i tried did not last any longer.
no hangover with this stuff.
problems - if i take it for 2 weeks i think it makes me a little depressed.
good things - i know a person who had prematurely gray hair, started taking it and her hair turned brunette again. ?? who knows??

i like trader joe's melatonin. i chew it up, i am asleep in 30 minutes.
sometimes i wake up about 5 hours later. i think a timed release product that worked well would be nice - the timed release i tried did not last any longer.
no hangover with this stuff.
problems - if i take it for 2 weeks i think it makes me a little depressed.
good things - i know a person who had prematurely gray hair, started taking it and her hair turned brunette again. ?? who knows??

Yeah, i think ive read that it is an antioxidant too. Dunno if it will give color to gray hair though.

EDIT:

Just read the wiki, and found that it plays a role in changes in skin color in animals. So maybe!

after reading the wiki, i decided to take one just before bed. lol.

Last edited:
I would often chew 6mg before bedtime. I think I have developed a resistance to it though...can't tell too much of a difference between taking it and not taking it anymore.

I do remember however, when I first used it, it knocked me out FAST.

Try L-Theanine (green tea extract w/o the caffiene) that helps you relax and is all natural... works great for me and I dont feel groggy when I wake up like I do w/ melatonin... :)

In other news I've started taking this:

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-26087...umin-400-mg-60-vegetarian-capsules?redirect=1

and used to have heart palpitations and slight chest pains... now its all gone and I have 10x more energy and I feel great... Pretty amazing!

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-33210...root-formula-with-beta-sitosterol-60-softgels

Also taking these which helps prostate health and helps hair loss :) My fiancee has noticed my bald spot is much smaller :biggrin:

Last edited:

My head just about exploded... man, that's funny! :eek::biggrin:

Back