• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is my engine sick or am I just paranoid?

Your engine sounds fine to me. The NSX has a lot of valve noise. If you are still unsure you can take it in for a leakdown check.

Where was the mic when you recorded the sound, and was the hatch open? It really sounds ok to me.

Yes, the hatch was open with the mic has basically in the bay next to the top of the intake manifold plate.

Sounded pretty healthy to me too. My highly sophisticated audio gear also picked up some heavy breathing in the background. Were you getting excited while recording that? :)

Given that your hatch is open, the valve clicking doesn't sound any louder then mine. If it still pulls hard and drives good I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Mine runs great. My car consistently pulls harder then STI's and EVO's with stock boost + intake/exaust type mods.

My car currently has Unifilter, Downforce scoop, RM Exaust, DC Headers and SOS Chip for power mods.

Mine used to sound like that unitl I got a louder exhaust and now I dont hear the valve tap anymore! :biggrin:

Nate in DC

Ok, sounds like I'm just paranoid then. When I gapped the valves I made the .007 snug on the intake and the .008 snug on the exhaust. Does anyone think it would make is a little quieter if I gap it @ .006 & .007 repectively? Or would that be danerously close to too little lash?

Ok, sounds like I'm just paranoid then. When I gapped the valves I made the .007 snug on the intake and the .008 snug on the exhaust. Does anyone think it would make is a little quieter if I gap it @ .006 & .007 repectively? Or would that be danerously close to too little lash?

Hmmm, I just did mine and made sure the .007 would not fit on the intake side and the .008 would not fit on the exhaust side. Of course the .006 and .007 would fit respectively.

... and the valve noise is still there. :(

T.J.

As you've adjusted them on the safe side there is always some ticking noticable. But even on the stiff side there is some noise, esp. as long as the engine is cold. Nothing to be worried about actually.

Sounds sweet to me.. :wink:

Since many folks mod thier cars with E/I/H the sewing machine /valve tick is drowned out.A stock car has a noticible valve train noise,I liken it to crumpling celophane.

the sewing machine sound is kinda unique sound of NSX... i love it...

same goes to dry clutch sound of ducati bikes... from a distance, ppl would tell it is a ducati..

tick tick tick tick tick...sounds ok to me as well. It goes away a little after the engine warms up. Plus I got a louder exhaust to help drown the sound. :rolleyes::biggrin:

I also feel the NSX engine is quite noisy, also vibrates while idling.
In the beginning of '98 3.2L NSX ownership I also was a bit weary of how rough it ran, but it seems all NSX (both 3.0 and 3.2) do this.
Only thing I don't understand is why for instance a 2.7 or 3.2 Legend engine seems to run a lot quieter while beiing not much different from the NSX engine.:confused::rolleyes:

Only thing I don't understand is why for instance a 2.7 or 3.2 Legend engine seems to run a lot quieter while beiing not much different from the NSX engine.:confused::rolleyes:

Just my two cents but I think its by design. Legend is more of a luxury car, hence more dampening material between the engine bay and the passenger compartment.

Not much sitting behind the driver in between the him/her and the engine.

Just my two cents but I think its by design. Legend is more of a luxury car, hence more dampening material between the engine bay and the passenger compartment.

Not much sitting behind the driver in between the him/her and the engine.

From inside the passenger compartment you are right, but is not what I meant.
I mean the real engine sound in the enginebay:
The NSX engine on idle vibrates/shakes a bit and clatters
The Legend engine on idle is quite static and clatters a lot less

From inside the passenger compartment you are right, but is not what I meant.
I mean the real engine sound in the enginebay:
The NSX engine on idle vibrates/shakes a bit and clatters
The Legend engine on idle is quite static and clatters a lot less

I have a 92 Legend as a dd and i noticed this too. I don't know if this would have anything to do with it but the Legend is sohc and not vtech. So while they are similar they are still pretty different on the top end.

Another thing i noticed in reference to the Legend vs NSX is the overheating issue. I have seen several threads here about people freaking out over their NSX dipping into the red for a second or two. While i know the NSX is a more expensive car and the engine is more sophisticated than the Legends i have to admit that i have had my Legend in the deep red many of times (with 180k miles on it) and have never had any problems with it other than the annoying stink of coolant. I'm not suggesting that this is good practice or that i would allow this to happen to my NSX but rather putting things into perspective for some of those people who completely freak out over their NSX's temp gauge being a hair over the middle line.

I guess what i am trying to say is that while the two engines share the same displacement and oil filter they are still pretty different from one another.

I have a 92 Legend as a dd and i noticed this too. I don't know if this would have anything to do with it but the Legend is sohc and not vtech. So while they are similar they are still pretty different on the top end.

Another thing i noticed in reference to the Legend vs NSX is the overheating issue. I have seen several threads here about people freaking out over their NSX dipping into the red for a second or two. While i know the NSX is a more expensive car and the engine is more sophisticated than the Legends i have to admit that i have had my Legend in the deep red many of times (with 180k miles on it) and have never had any problems with it other than the annoying stink of coolant. I'm not suggesting that this is good practice or that i would allow this to happen to my NSX but rather putting things into perspective for some of those people who completely freak out over their NSX's temp gauge being a hair over the middle line.

I guess what i am trying to say is that while the two engines share the same displacement and oil filter they are still pretty different from one another.

Oh, you will. On a Legend, you're a blown head gasket waiting to happen if you've run it in the red for any length of time and you are right in the mileage range for one. I've been a Legend owner for 11 years (1 Sedan, 3 Coupes) and have replaced 2 engines due to BHG.

Check out this 2,082 post thread over at acura-legend.com for everything you never wanted to know about C32 overheating.

glad I saw this thread :) I was wondering about this as well, when I bought my car the guy said he had the valve adjustment done, but I wasn't sure because there was still a fair amount of valvetrain noise, but it's no worse than the sound clip :)

Oh, you will. On a Legend, you're a blown head gasket waiting to happen if you've run it in the red for any length of time and you are right in the mileage range for one. I've been a Legend owner for 11 years (1 Sedan, 3 Coupes) and have replaced 2 engines due to BHG.

Check out this 2,082 post thread over at acura-legend.com for everything you never wanted to know about C32 overheating.

I have been trying to put that old thing in the grave for a couple years now and she just won't go. Her paint is completely shot, everything on the front end is broken or in need of repair, she gets in the red anytime i am not moving for more than 2 minutes, the ABS hasn't worked in years, my power seats and window switches no longer function and my dash was ripped out by some punks a few years back.

I have had her for about 9 years now (the longest i've ever owned any car) and she's the car i brought my daughter home from the hospital in when she was born and so i told myself i owe it to her to keep her as long as she doesn't cost me any major repairs. I thought her end was near about 2 years ago but she's still around and doesn't leak a drop of fluid.:confused:

I'd get her all fixed up if it wouldn't cost me more than 3X what she's worth and i'm almost certain that after i got her looking good again she would throw a rod or blow a head gasket or something.:rolleyes:

This man speaks the truth.

The idle shudder is I believe due to the rough nature of the 90 degree V6 and the harmonics of that particular motor. The Legend motors are quite different ( for instance you can't mate the NSX DOHC heads to the Legend block ).

Back