• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NSX a serious car?

Hi all,
It took a while for me to get back to answer the questions Patricia and Tim asked since we were at our local road race track yesterday, but here are the details...
... I decided after that event that the prudent thing for me to do was sign up on Prime, as I have been lurking for awhile. I was really thrilled to read the story of Patricia getting her NSX, since she is another S2000 owner...

Need more female forum participants!! :wink:
Judi

Hello, Judi. I'm happy to hear that you read the story of me getting my NSX. I agree, it would be great if more women posted. :smile:

I wouldn't trade my NSX for anything. I love the car (other than the fact that the horn buttons are expensive!) http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128830 :biggrin:

The fact that I can get SoS to modify the car (if I wish) so that it can more than hold its own against 99% of anything with four wheels that is street legal is just icing on the cake. Nothing against other marques, but Honda hit a home run with the NSX. I don't know how many times I've been asked what year my car is, and when I say 1991, there is just stunned silence.

Thank you Honda!

Yeah, nobody believes me when I tell em my car is 18 years old! I love this car - can't wait to drive it home after work.

You know on the horn button - mine popped off the other day and I can't get it back on like the other one. It stays but it's not quite right - doesn't sit low enough down on the little metal thingy. Anyone got any ideas?

I love my NSX,,is the NSX a Serious car,, it rare and exotic,,, so i get the whole "what year is that"? "is that the new Acura"?,, also " I love Corvettes" the best was " does that have the new 200HP vortec engine" (she was driving a new BMW) I asked her "what kinda Hyundai was she driving" she started to say it was a BMW but i peeled out left her in my dust,, If you dont know anything about cars then dont make yourself look like an idiot!!

I am interested in how many of you consider the NSX a "serious" car or just a stepping stone to something more serious (and yes, I know I am speaking to a biased crowd here).

I have always liked the fact the NSX is quite rare and the engineering behind it is astounding. I also am not comfortable in a flashy megabuck car (and happily put a Honda H on my car's nose).

Perhaps one day I might pick up something else, but I cannot see myself parting with this car. Am I being delusional? :biggrin:

"Destination" car(s). Serious. So serious we bought a second one! :wink:

Like you, I always look at other possibilities.... just yesterday it was a new 2009 Viper ACR in Snake Skin Green, $109 K at Tomball Dodge (TX - on their website). But being fortunate enough to own NSX's, and knowing what we do about our NSX's (not to mention this great community), I don't see us parting until such time as I am too old and stiff to get in and out of the car.

Purely personal, but I love my NSX and have no desire or plans to move into anything else. For my taste, nothing looks as good and the NSX is plenty fast for my driving abilities. If you want more speed, look at the LoveFab posted in Marketplace.

Yesterday a long time friend made a comment in my Facebook telling me to "just get a Ferrari already, I have no idea why you keep playing with these Japanese toy cars". Just some background. He just bought a new Aston Martin DB7 and lives in LA.

Your friend is a moron.

bozo.jpg

Why of course it is, Oyagi!

Last edited:
Hugh and Pbozo ....you guys are killing me with this stuff - lol. Really funny - Hugh you're right - the dude's friend is a geek! Quit messing with the "toy" cars - man the only one messing is the guy with the Ferrari - he's doing a lot of messing with a mechanic everytime he needs that thing to run well. :rolleyes:

That's what I love about my car - I can drive it as a daily - and I do when it's not raining which is really most of the time here in ATL! Great drive today - can't wait to take it back up in the mountains but this time on the twisties! Nothing like driving these cars! :biggrin:

Just looked at a 2003 Ferrari 360 Spyder with 34K miles. It was selling for $109K. The dealer had all the service records and they totaled $56K. Now that's a serious car - ROFL!!! I guess it could be worse, the dealer also had a used Bugatti Veyron that had a drill bit in the tire. New tire cost $5K - ROFL again!!! I'm sure glad my NSX isn't "THAT" serious! Happy Motoring!

It all depends on your perspective of what is serious. Having had an NSX for many years and switched to the f car I can say it is a different experience altogether. Not better, just different. Is the NSX a serious car? Of course!

Sky :smile:
6429sig_red_sm.jpg

I had both at one time. Sold the NSX.
DSC03282.jpg

i-1.jpg

2.jpg

The depreciation he will suffer is serious, also would be the spanking you will give that AMV with your modified NSX!

I want to add that Skyguy is a well respected contributer to Prime. I've read some of his threads and posts and they are honest and genuinely helpful. Not only that he sold an absolutely smokin NSX to get his Ferrari - I know he'll miss it. I wish I had seen it or it had been for sale when I was looking. It was sold for a song to the person lucky enough to get it. It makes the deal I got look absolutely sad.... therefore I have totally retract a goof ball statement and say that he does have a nice Ferrari. We'd all like to have a nice Ferrari wouldn't we if we could just afford one. No real dis intended Skyguy! Keep on flyin and posting. Thanks for your contributions.

Last edited:
I want to add that Skyguy is a well respected contributer to Prime. I've read some of his threads and posts and they are honest and genuinely helpful. Not only that he sold an absolutely smokin NSX to get his Ferrari - I know he'll miss it. I wish I had seen it or it had been for sale when I was looking. It was sold for a song to the person lucky enough to get it. It makes the deal I got look absolutely sad.... therefore I have totally retract a goof ball statement and say that he does have a nice Ferrari. We'd all like to have a nice Ferrari wouldn't we if we could just afford one. No real dis intended Skyguy! Keep on flyin and posting. Thanks for your contributions.

Thank you for the kind words. It takes a real person to admit that. You are a gentleman and I look forward to your contributions here on the Prime. I do miss my NSX and I prolly will buy another someday. Neither car is "better", just a different driving expierence altoghether. I personally am drawn to the 91 NSX. It is pure, it is manual, it is real. Just a little bias there. Tim, you have a fabulous car and it will be the focus of your attention for many years to come. Drive safe....But just be sure to step on it on the backside of the apex.! :smile:

Cheers,

Sky
6429sig_red_sm.jpg

DSC02289.JPG

6429hooters_2006_b.jpg

The AM V8 is one car I seriously considered before buying my NSX. It was just coming out, I bought the NSX, supercharged it, then went back to drive the Vantage. After a 2 hour test drive, I was bored. It is a good GT car, not a sports car. It would make a good daily driver but put miles on it and no one will want to buy it.

JEEPS :eek: Now here is a left turn within a thread! :tongue:

Skyguy keep posting your awesome photos..... you know we love them!

tbromley poke your nose here and there, and push ... but not afraid to retract.

I was popping the pokkorn earlier today and staying tuned. :biggrin: Now I feel the love.

JEEPS :eek: Now here is a left turn within a thread! :tongue:

Skyguy keep posting your awesome photos..... you know we love them!

tbromley poke your nose here and there, and push ... but not afraid to retract.

I was popping the pokkorn earlier today and staying tuned. :biggrin: Now I feel the love.

Just for you!

Harmoneystraddlefcar400.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks like she's just about to pee on that Ferrari emblem to me :tongue:!

Hahaha, I was just thinking the same thing. Someone photoshop that stat!:biggrin:

I am interested in how many of you consider the NSX a "serious" car or just a stepping stone to something more serious (and yes, I know I am speaking to a biased crowd here).

What you prefer is a matter of personal taste, as so many have said, but no one knowledgable of cars would suggest the NSX is not a serious car. My current situation may illustrate how I believe a lot of us feel. About five weeks ago, the dealer spun our car on a mountain road taking it back to the shop for service. They come to our home, leave us a TL or TSX loaner, and save us the 50-mile drive. That always seemed like a good arrangement since my wife and I are both disabled and we prefer to stay in town these days. Not so much now, of course. Especially since the dealer has refused to accept liability.

While they are disassembling everything to learn what was damaged, my wife suggested I consider it my car, sell it if I liked (after repairs of course) and buy something for me. This silver 1999 was my retirement gift to her and now that she can't drive it for health reasons. She was returning the favor, so to speak.

So I began to consider. I don't want to spend a lot now that we're retired and not making more, but with the value of our car and a reasonable addition of cash, any car from fifty to sixty thousand would be plausible. So I ran down a lifetime of car favorites:

English. Jaguars. A little too boulevard for our taste. Didn't bother looking for examples. Aston. Some real possibilities in the DB-7 line. For what ours was worth before the dealer's little adventure, I could pick up a nice DB-7 three or four years younger. They depreciate much faster than the NSX. A possible, but it's about the reverse of the NSX. Finding a manual transmission model is almost impossible, and my wife can't tolerate the roughness of an automatic. So no dice. Or rather, no 007.

Italy. Maserati. Despite using Ferrari drivelines these days, they are little too much like Jaguars in spirit. For us, I mean. Tastes vary. Ferrari. Well, of course. Honda kept bringing out a new NSX everytime Ferrari updated the F355 and the F360 so the performance is about the same. On a track, the one pulling away will be the one with the better driver. Ferrari in the you-could-almost-daily-drive-it models gives you a more spine tingling experience than an NSX every time you fire it up. Granted. But I need to ration the tingling in my spine these days. I'd buy one only if I had room in the garage for a car more comfortable in daily driver mode. (Like say, an NSX? That was my thought when I got to that point. Besides the mechanic we adopted while we owned British sports cars has left us in a snit when we started buying Japanese. And at our age, I don't feel like making a Ferarri mechanic a member of the family. Even me.) So no Ferrari, though I love to drive them. For an hour or so. Rent one for a day sometime. But make it a week if you're considering one for a daily driver. That's how I gave Cindy a chance to decide about the NSX. We went over to Las Vegas and she found an NSX waiting for her at the Bellagio. (That was an anniversary present. She didn't know I was considering an NSX for Christmas, but after her reaction with a week in an NSX, no question remained. Remember your first drive in one?)<SIGH>

Germany. BMW. Lovely machines, but since the wall fell I haven't been in one that didn't have something that broke or had quit working. Had a shift knob fall off an M-3 in a fast transition. Besides, Cindy says "it sounds like a sewing machine" every time I get her in one. I'd have to rebuild the exhaust and no mistake about it.Porsche. Well, that's a near thing. A Carrera is a very nice car and no mistake. Reasonable daily driver as well. But two completely irrelevant things kept bothering me. Someone bought a brand new one last month at our club and I've never seen anyone do more than glance at it. Our ten-year-old NSX draws admiring comments from members and staff regularly, and as I pass the parking lot while making the turn from nine green to ten tee, I often see someone leaning over to peer at the interior. (Notice how they all want to see how high the speedometer reads?) The second irrelevancy, but somehow troubling, is that I was at the track in a Formula Ford I was testing when someone brought a turbo Carrera out for a test day. I was not surprised that my open wheel race car was faster around Willow Springs. Of course it was. What got my attention when I caught him going into turn three-four was how bloody tall it looked. Felt like riding behind a motorhome while I waited for turn six to pass. Means nothing of course, since you're riding with your tailbone three inches over the pavement in a Formula Ford, but the memory sticks. And they do look big from inside our NSX as well. It grieves me to say that, since all the time we had English sports cars early in our marriage, I was in love with the 911 in each of its incarnations as they came out.

Mercedes. Well, we have a couple of 500SL's at the club too. Pretty cars, but again rarely seen in a manual form. (Is that even an option?) And Cindy really is completely intolerant of the behavior of automatics at our age. She needs the smoothness that an experienced driver brings to a manual shift car. Besides, I might as well buy a C230 and call it a lifetime. For a serious driver, an SL is like saying you give up: "Okay. I'm old. Toddle me around." That's just a personal and very likely illogical reaction. Probably formed back when Mercedes only sports car was the 190SL. Wouldn't bother me at all if I also had a real sports car in the garage. Like an NSX.

U.S.: Well, I had a muscle car once upon a time and aren't they fun in a northern tier state? But I'm old enough to want more finesse. Not all the way to a Mercedes C230 please, but something a little more subtle than a 427 Camaro or GT350. (Even if I could still get either one.) So how about a Corvette? I was in love with those since before the first 911 saw the light of day, and the new C6 models are said to be much closer to the NSX in spirit. Performance at exotic levels when you hammer them, but civilized around town. But... well, I looked into them. They build them with bloody robots for ninety percent of the work. After driving a hand-built car for ten years I think I'd always be noticing little robo-handprints in odd places. And... at that same club, the Corvette drivers come over to us and talk about how they want to move up to an NSX someday, or "I tried to find one but finally gave up and bought a Corvette." "Hmmm? Oh yeah, it's a Z06, but it's just not the same thing as a true exotic like yours."

You can tell that I'd be happy with a Carrera or a Z-06 if it came to that. In fact all of those are nice cars, but none of them tempt me to swap you see. I'm already in a car of equal or better design and performance. When this one passes the half a million mile mark, I may have to look for one a little younger, but I don't really feel hungry for other cars. Our NSX is very gratifying.

After spending a week in petrol-head nirvana, mentally re-running all the test drives I ever had in all sorts of fine cars, I was back to the NSX. Yes, the design is a little over twenty years old now. The book that came with ours brags of using Cray supercomputers for the design. That was a big deal in 1988-89 when the work was going on in Tochigi, but my current desktop would suck one up its eSATA port. Nevertheless, it was bloody well designed as a car, an integrated car. Not a fabulous drive train with bodywork wrapped around it as necessary to keep the rain off. Gordon Murray himself was impressed with the NSX design sophistication and it works as well now as it did when the first prototype hit the show circuit in... 1989 was it? Or mid-1990? Can't remember.

This was the car kept behind velvet ropes so the hoi-polloi wouldn't ruin the leather hopping in and out. The car my wife wangled a test drive in because we bought a new luxury car from Acura. It runs around town like a limo when a sick wife needs that sort of coddling, but it will go up a California freeway on-ramp and merge at 110, bellowing like a T-Rex who just found out about this sex thing mammals have figured out.

We live in the desert just south of Willow Springs, where R&T and others test cars. We came on the freeway one afternoon beside two of them returning from Willow. I don't street race. Ever. But neither do I look at the speedometer while merging, because the whole point is to be going just a little faster than the cars already on the freeway when you merge. (Consider that people who will walk a block to pull into a parking place forward rather than backing in to parallel park, will serenely back into traffic that is going at freeway speeds. Not rational.)

So I calmly went up the on-ramp carrying on a conversation with Cindy. Saw traffic still going faster than us while halfway up the ramp, so I kept accelerating without really thinking about it. When I left third, still accelerating, that caught my attention and I wondered "What the hell?" By the time I formed the question we had merged ahead of the one car -- driven by someone from a car magazine I sure hope -- and I signalled again because I was getting into the fast lane ahead of the second one to go around the car that looked stopped in the slow lane ahead. When I had time to look at instruments again, I was doing 120 and holding steady in front of an Aston and what looked like a Turbo Carrera, though I didn't waste a lot of attention on them until we passed the 'slow' car (probably going only 70 or 75, the dawdler).

Then I pulled over to the slow lane, because we really don't street race. Honest, officer. The whole episode only lasted fifteen seconds, if that. But looking back on it while I was considering selling our NSX now under repair, I realize we had merged in front of traffic going Autobahn speeds and most of that time I was carrying on a conversation. It was all intuitive driving. The car just kept doing what I asked, even though I asked it to merge in front of two guys going way too fast for street driving in California. The NSX is so balanced that only the wonderful tactile feedback tells you how hard it is working. And at speeds up to... say 130, it isn't working hard at all, unless you have a significantly gusty desert wind to catch your attention. Set up for the track, I would expect to feel comfortable anywhere up to the horsepower-limited top end.

No, the NSX isn't a stepping stone type of car, Oyagi. You may have a personal preference for other cars, and you may want to have a Ferrari in the garage for weekend fun while driving an NSX day to day. Or an NSX in the garage and a sports UTE for daily blizzard driving. Or you may change around from Carreras to NSX and sometimes back, but you don't step up from the NSX unless you're moving into the half-million-dollar market. You just step sideways as your taste dictates. On the ladder of sports cars, the NSX is still very close to the top, even five years after they stopped making it.

^Great write up, simsgw. Loved it!

I'm glad you put in there where you lived because I was trying to figure out how a So Cal car would have someone driving a mountain road to get to service. I'm wondering if the service guy was going over to the Bakersfield side or down to Valencia. I lived in Acton for 23 years and am familiar with the area. BTW, I used to work at Edwards. After looking at your profile, I'm guessing that's where you retired from.

Last edited:
Back