• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NSX a serious car?

I am interested in how many of you consider the NSX a "serious" car or just a stepping stone to something more serious (and yes, I know I am speaking to a biased crowd here).

Yesterday a long time friend made a comment in my Facebook telling me to "just get a Ferrari already, I have no idea why you keep playing with these Japanese toy cars". Just some background. He just bought a new Aston Martin DB7 and lives in LA. I do the same thing for a living up here in Canada and have my NSX as tracktoy and M3 SMG for daily duties. Before the NSX I've owned a succession of Japanese cars: S13 240SX with SR swap, 300ZXTT, SC400, Skyline GTR.

I have always liked the fact the NSX is quite rare and the engineering behind it is astounding. I also am not comfortable in a flashy megabuck car (and happily put a Honda H on my car's nose).

Perhaps one day I might pick up something else, but I cannot see myself parting with this car. Am I being delusional? :biggrin:

EDIT: the car is in fact a V8 Vantage.

Last edited:
I don't think you're being delusional. Well, no more than usual buddy :) It's entirely possible you've found the "right" car for you. If my income took a huge positive jump, I'd certainly try other cars, such as the R8. But there's a good chance I wouldn't like it any more than the NSX. Of course, it would be nice to have the opportunity to find out :)

First, I think you should not listen to other people's opinions and base your decisions on what they say. Your choice of what you like is yours alone, not what your friends like.

As far as the NSX vs. more exotic cars, I had the opportunity to drive mine back-to-back with an F360 on a track and I was actually pleasantly surprised to find the 360 was not a significantly better track experience. It made awesome noises and the dampers are amazingly well tuned, but in the end, I found I had just as much fun driving my Zanardi and at that point I lost most of my Ferrari 360 envy. Of course, maybe nowadays the F430 and 458 are much better, but they weren't even released at the time.

Purely subjective. If it's serious for the owner then that's it. I can get an F-Car right now but (1) have no room for it, and (2) have no desire to get rid of the NSX. Partly because I am old school. If it ain't broke, why fix it? The NSX fits me just fine, it drives nice, looks good and is pretty reliable and cheap to maintain in comparison to an F-Car as an example. Hence I know there are other faster, more exotic cars out there. But until the NSX blows up in my hands or turns to dust, my desire to "trade up or be more serious" is in nowhere to be seen. To give you an idea of my mental state, I kept my Integra for almost 20 years and 250K miles before I finally sold it. Why so long? Because it worked. I never had the envy or desire to even trade up to the newer models with more hp, etc etc.

Last edited:
Dillussional - get outta here:eek:! I was talking with Trya - another Primer- he's had Lambos and Ferarris and he's over it - he's got his own description of the Italian Stallions and it's not nearly as nice. He's gotten rid of them and keeps his NSX! What does that tell you? He didn't get rid of them for any other reason except that they didn't suit him like the NSX does. I'd say that was about as strong as it gets! :smile:

Last edited:
IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

need i say more? im sure upgrading to 10psi on my ctsc will make it more "serious" haha. i love my nsx :biggrin:

Last edited:
There will always be newer, faster, more modern cars.
I dont see or foresee a sports car that combines all the essential ingredients, including every day driveability and reliableness, that the NSX provides.
I see it more "serious" than those who buy "the flavor of the month" and look for substantiation via checkbook.

Really depends how deep your pockets are. I consider my NSX a "stepping stone" to my ultimate goal, the McLaren F1. But is that ever going to happen? Well, not in the foreseeable future.

Really depends how deep your pockets are. I consider my NSX a "stepping stone" to my ultimate goal, the McLaren F1. But is that ever going to happen? Well, not in the foreseeable future.

I see where you are coming from with the McLaren reference however dropping $2.7 million on the F1 is more than a stepping stone but more of buying one of the best all-time cars ever made.

Try the new MP24 with a price point of $200k + and then you have what should have been the new NSX. That is THE next up and coming car to own!

Now your talking boys! We're gettin serious now! That's the way to talk it up. Nothing like a "come on" comment like this to fire everyone up!:wink:

I've never owned or even driven a car that pushes my buttons they way my NSX does. Don't get me wrong. I'm not into status, but I can't count the number of compliments that I've received, not to mention the looks. It's nice to have others appreciate the car the way that I do...

I can see this going either way, both ways being valid. Its a very personal thing. I think for some folks, the NSX would be not so much a stepping stone, but more a "stop on the road" on the way to trying lots of things. For others it would be a destination.

I think lots more folks would own Ferraris (self included) if maintenance werent what it is. Of course then, arguably, it might not have the same mystique about it as it would be far less rarified. On the flipside, there are plenty of folks who owned Ferraris and went back to the NSX.

Given unlimited disposable income, Im sure Id own a perfectly sorted F355. Its still my favorite Ferrari design and I LOVED driving one the once or twice Ive been lucky enough to have had the chance.

Its hard to beat the reliability/daily driveability of an NSX.

Its hard to beat the performance of a 500whp Turbo NSX (in any car short of an Enzo).

Try the new MP24 with a price point of $200k + and then you have what should have been the new NSX. That is THE next up and coming car to own!

+1 million

The new McLaren will ecplipse all technology and perfomance on the 200k price range, and will set a new standard in the game like the NSX did back in the day. It weighs couple hundred less than NSX :)eek:) and the worst part is there are more McLaren to come over the years.

But I admit NSX is a stepping stone up to an V8 Vantage Roadster and then a F430 Berlinetta, but there's no shame it admitting it; There are many spices of the auto life and one should experience as many as one can. If I only could have them all...

Comment back to your buddy on FB and tell him you like your japanese supercar because you like how rare it is... Really everyone and there mom has an F car as a toy especially in LA! Oh and you like not having to have it fixed every time you drive it. :biggrin:

Even if I could afford a faster and more expensive street car, I probably wouldn't get it. I would spend the extra cash racing. So, I guess the NSX is end-of-the-line for me.

If you spent 190k on an unreliable car that looks pretty, you'd need justification for doing so as well. I love AM's and drove a nearly brand new db9 last week, but few people that purchase those cars do so because they think a 75k japanese car is even a close competitor; including the guy who owned the one I drove. Although there is a decent probability I'll own an AM in the next 12-15 years, I won't do so because I think its value is three times an NSX's, maybe 1.5.

Back