• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NSX a serious car?

I've never owned my car for the numbers it puts up vs. other cars. I could give a $hit. I own my car because it's an amazing car to drive, it's crazy rare, it has timeless lines and I love it. If I needed another car to satisfy my thirst for keeping up with the Jones', I'd buy another car..... but never get rid of my X.

You know guys this is about as subjective a thread as you could dream up! Right, I mean afterall this is the NSX PRIME Website/forum! What does anyone expect to hear from a question like this one - it's almost silly. But one thing that is coming out of this is that there are many different reasons we as individuals choose to own the NSX.

It looks cool and great and techno boss inside and out and it sounds great!

It isn't really super expensive to buy!

It doesn't cost a lot to maintain!

Very few things ever go wrong with it and nothing goes wrong with it because of some inherant weakness or design flaw but the one "snap ring" that doesn't even affect all the ones in the range!

It's easy to drive and it's easy to drive fast!

Tires don't really cost that much for it and the NSX doesn't burn em up any faster than a 911 does maybe less!

So what is it that makes a car a serious car anyway - the fact that it's the only all aluminum production car ever built and that it was hand built in one plant in Japan by mechanics that had to have been workiing for Honda for 10 years even to compete for the job at that one plant! The fact that it was a two seater, a true sports car built for the average guy or maybe not so average guy but wasn't out of total reach anymore than a 911 was at the time or some Mercedes and better than all of them in many ways! Even better than the Ferarri of the day!

I mean there is really only one thing that ever bugged owners and still does today - it's that Acura/Honda doesn't produce it anymore, didn't give the program the funds to evolve like it should although there were many designs at Acura/Honda that would have provided that evolution - Honda decided it really wasn't a sports car company - bull we say- but it didn't start out with it's roots in racing and sports car production like Porsche or Alfa Romeo, or Jaguar, or Lamborgini, or Ferarri but came in just to show all of them that Japan could do it and do it for less and do it in a way that provided the reliability everyone with the other brands only wished they had. Right - I mean Japan showed them up! They really still are with the GTR. The Nissan 370Z and even a hot version - so what in the hell happened to Honda. Are they just taking a break?

I mean really guys what other sports car made can you put an aftermarket Turbo or SC on and still get awesome reliability??? What other car can do that? NONE!!!!! They don't make em. Every car out there AM, F, Lam, Porsche, Alfa, you name it wishes they could match the reliability. Honda needs a branch that is "sports car" and nothing but "sports car" and all about improving the sports car but they are busy trying to "survive". While we are super pissed about it.:mad:

This isn't a stopping point in the road for me, the NSX is not a "stepping stone", it's the car; it's the experience I've been looking for for a very long time- everything in one sports car - fast, reliable, beautiful, cutting edge - still is in my opin, inexpensive, easy to drive. I ask you what else would you want out of an all round sports car. I've had sports cars all my life and I'm almost 60 and I'm telling you there has never ever been anything like it. Sure there is faster, better sound - yeah a V12 will do that for ya or a V8 in the right hands - but what is more all round just right. So get a big pile of money and get other cars but any car collector would always keep his NSX if he ever owned one and understood it.

This is the full monty version - 25 cents worth. Sorry for the length - please don't bash me! I'm just very passionate about the NSX like many of you were and are still! :smile:

Amazing post Tim. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Good posts from everyone, and as stated in my orig post I know I'm speaking to the converted, but I also know some of you out there have had the opportunity to drive other so called "premier brand" cars out there and I wanted to hear what they had to say.

My answer to my buddy was a tongue and cheek "well, I don't live in LA so I don't need a status symbol like your Aston to earn points" :wink:

You know guys this is about as subjective a thread as you could dream up! Right, I mean afterall this is the NSX PRIME Website/forum! What does anyone expect to hear from a question like this one - it's almost silly. But one thing that is coming out of this is that there are many different reasons we as individuals choose to own the NSX.

It looks cool and great and techno boss inside and out and it sounds great!

It isn't really super expensive to buy!

It doesn't cost a lot to maintain!

Very few things ever go wrong with it and nothing goes wrong with it because of some inherant weakness or design flaw but the one "snap ring" that doesn't even affect all the ones in the range!

It's easy to drive and it's easy to drive fast!

Tires don't really cost that much for it and the NSX doesn't burn em up any faster than a 911 does maybe less!

So what is it that makes a car a serious car anyway - the fact that it's the only all aluminum production car ever built and that it was hand built in one plant in Japan by mechanics that had to have been workiing for Honda for 10 years even to compete for the job at that one plant! The fact that it was a two seater, a true sports car built for the average guy or maybe not so average guy but wasn't out of total reach anymore than a 911 was at the time or some Mercedes and better than all of them in many ways! Even better than the FERRARI of the day!

I mean there is really only one thing that ever bugged owners and still does today - it's that Acura/Honda doesn't produce it anymore, didn't give the program the funds to evolve like it should although there were many designs at Acura/Honda that would have provided that evolution - Honda decided it really wasn't a sports car company - bull we say- but it didn't start out with it's roots in racing and sports car production like Porsche or Alfa Romeo, or Jaguar, or Lamborgini, or Ferarri but came in just to show all of them that Japan could do it and do it for less and do it in a way that provided the reliability everyone with the other brands only wished they had. Right - I mean Japan showed them up! They really still are with the GTR. The Nissan 370Z and even a hot version - so what in the hell happened to Honda. Are they just taking a break?

I mean really guys what other sports car made can you put an aftermarket Turbo or SC on and still get awesome reliability??? What other car can do that? NONE!!!!! They don't make em. Every car out there AM, F, Lam, Porsche, Alfa, you name it wishes they could match the reliability. Honda needs a branch that is "sports car" and nothing but "sports car" and all about improving the sports car but they are busy trying to "survive". While we are super pissed about it.:mad:

This isn't a stopping point in the road for me, the NSX is not a "stepping stone", it's the car; it's the experience I've been looking for for a very long time- everything in one sports car - fast, reliable, beautiful, cutting edge - still is in my opin, inexpensive, easy to drive. I ask you what else would you want out of an all round sports car. I've had sports cars all my life and I'm almost 60 and I'm telling you there has never ever been anything like it. Sure there is faster, better sound - yeah a V12 will do that for ya or a V8 in the right hands - but what is more all round just right. So get a big pile of money and get other cars but any car collector would always keep his NSX if he ever owned one and understood it.

This is the full monty version - 25 cents worth. Sorry for the length - please don't bash me! I'm just very passionate about the NSX like many of you were and are still! :smile:

Now, this post is PERFECT ;^D

Thanks Tim,
Judi (& Brian ;^)

Now, this post is PERFECT ;^D

Thanks Tim,
Judi (& Brian ;^)

^Yeah, I like the post a lot, too. I didn't know all those things you wrote, tbromley, so thank you for posting it all. Not too long, at all. I go to Cars and Coffee in Irvine, California often and once I got my NSX in March, I realized, there is nothing at that show that does it for me like my very own car. To me, my Long Beach Blue hottie is the best car in the world. Really. It's perfect to me.

BTW, NSXgal, you're another female poster, here??!! Hello, from me, Patricia! I'm relatively, new and I think your post is the first I've seen by another woman.

Hey everyone, now I have to say hey guys and gals....I didn't know we had any female owners .,....glad to know that! Very good. Finally some women that will post hopefully. That'll keep us all in line around here.

Thanks to you Judi for correcting my spelling; actually glad to know that's the only word I mispelled. Can't imagine I mixed that up. Anyway, I want you guys to look at the new Road & Track mag on line; you can get to it thru Yahoo. They mention the Frankfurt Auto show. Talk about serious cars watch the video on Road Track. In there the new Ferrari Italia 458 I believe is shown. Now all you NSX officiandos remember one of he concepts for the new NSX when Acura was talking about that years ago before they made this latest prototype. That body style on the NSX proto has been stolen by Ferrari - go look at it, dial it up, google it and tell me it's not robbed. One of our Prime members has it as his avatar - blvinhim (John Perkins) and if that rear end veiw over the haunches doesn't look like that version of the NSX I'll eat my hat! Check it out.

Ok, now I have a question for Judi and Kyras - what color and year NSX do you "guys" own. Barry Mcguire uses the term "guys" for both men and women so I'm taking that liberty here as well - I hope that is acceptable.
Have you "guys" moded your cars and how long have you owned them?

Great stuff and thanks for the kudos on my write up - it's always a pleasure to write about the NSX. Glad you liked it.

Hey everyone, now I have to say hey guys and gals....I didn't know we had any female owners .,....glad to know that! Very good. Finally some women that will post hopefully. That'll keep us all in line around here.

Thanks to you Judi for correcting my spelling; actually glad to know that's the only word I mispelled. Can't imagine I mixed that up. Anyway, I want you guys to look at the new Road & Track mag on line; you can get to it thru Yahoo. They mention the Frankfurt Auto show. Talk about serious cars watch the video on Road Track. In there the new Ferrari Italia 458 I believe is shown. Now all you NSX officiandos remember one of he concepts for the new NSX when Acura was talking about that years ago before they made this latest prototype. That body style on the NSX proto has been stolen by Ferrari - go look at it, dial it up, google it and tell me it's not robbed. One of our Prime members has it as his avatar - blvinhim (John Perkins) and if that rear end veiw over the haunches doesn't look like that version of the NSX I'll eat my hat! Check it out.

Ok, now I have a question for Judi and Kyras - what color and year NSX do you "guys" own. Barry Mcguire uses the term "guys" for both men and women so I'm taking that liberty here as well - I hope that is acceptable.

Great stuff and thanks for the kudos on my write up - it's always a pleasure to write about the NSX. Glad you liked it.

Both of them own 02+ Nsxes I believe Long beach Blue..

Love that Color

...Ok, now I have a question for Judi and Kyras - what color and year NSX do you "guys" own. Barry Mcguire uses the term "guys" for both men and women so I'm taking that liberty here as well - I hope that is acceptable.

I'm Patricia. I use "guys" sometimes as well, talking about men and women. BTW, "Kyras" was the name of a German Shepherd dog I had and loved deeply, who died in 1999.

I have an '05 Long Beach Blue Pearl that I bought from "Gorilla" in Chicago in March. Had it shipped to southern California, with a mere 11,800 miles on it. I've changed the shocks to Bilstein's and put a Taitec GT lightweight exhaust on it. I had the entire hood, part of the front fenders, the front bumper and mirror backs clear bra-ed. I didn't like the silver look of the headlights on the NA2s so I had a blue tinted clear bra material put on them. That's it so far. I would like a smaller steering wheel and different wheels, some day.
IMG_4255Blueeyes.jpg

Last edited:
I'm Patricia. I use "guys" sometimes as well, talking about men and women. BTW, "Kyras" was the name of a German Shepherd dog I had and loved deeply, who died in 1999.

I have an '05 Long Beach Blue Pearl that I bought from "Gorilla" in Chicago in March. Had it shipped to southern California, with a mere 11,800 miles on it. I've changed the shocks to Bilstein's and put a Taitec GT lightweight exhaust on it. I had the entire hood, part of the front fenders, the front bumper and mirror backs clear bra-ed. I didn't like the silver look of the headlights on the NA2s so I had a blue tinted clear bra material put on them. That's it so far. I would like a smaller steering wheel and different wheels, some day.
IMG_4255Blueeyes.jpg
Hey Patricia,

Glad to hear back from you and see a picture of your beautiful NSX. Looks great against that sky in the background. Lots of fun roads in So Cal, which is where you are I believe. You've done some nice mods and if you ever think of selling your wheels I might be interested in them. I like the ones on my car ok, they are TSWs and look a lot like many on the road. I just like the 17" all around look on the newer ones.

Great that you have had some neat cars and enjoy sports cars. It seems that women are in kind of a minority when it comes to things like this so it's always cool to meet some that share the driving passion! I'm also glad to see you are driving your car! Some don't and I've always wondered about them:confused:. Good for you!

Glad to have you on board - hope to hear from you a lot on here. Always good to get a woman's perspective. Wish my wife was more into the "driving" experience but she has an RL and it's fun too - she really loves it. That's the "mother ship" and mine is the "attack ship". Something like that.

I started another thread about trips across the country in NSXs and would love to hear any of your experiences of driving the roads in CA if you care to share them. Check it out!

I am interested in how many of you consider the NSX a "serious" car or just a stepping stone to something more serious (and yes, I know I am speaking to a biased crowd here).

Yesterday a long time friend made a comment in my Facebook telling me to "just get a Ferrari already, I have no idea why you keep playing with these Japanese toy cars". Just some background. He just bought a new Aston Martin DB7 and lives in LA. I do the same thing for a living up here in Canada and have my NSX as tracktoy and M3 SMG for daily duties. Before the NSX I've owned a succession of Japanese cars...

I'm an outsider looking in. I don't own a NSX; I'm doing the "due diligence" portion of researching cars before deciding what toy I'm going to buy myself next.

Off the cuff it sounds to me like your friend is the type that doesn't buy cars but rather badges. Hondas don't have snob appeal whereas Ferraris, Astons, Porsches, etc. do.

Is your friend a "real car guy" or someone that buys sport[s,y] cars as status symbols or lifestyle indicators? Does he spin his own wrenches? Does he track at all? Depending on the responses to these questions then I'd suggest his opinion potentially means pretty much nothing.

Does the lack of snob appeal bug you? If not then be happy. The NSX is as good as any car out there, arguably better than most given the purity of design, quality and functionality levels inherent to the car. It's a little aged though. This is the thing I struggle with for my decision process.

$0.02, YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
female NSX owners

Actually at NSXPO in Toronto this year I was pleasantly surprised to see 3-4 female owners and their cars. One in particular was apparently quite the track monster too! :cool:

Spottswoode.jpg

Oh it's serious alright. THIS is my Serious Face.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynAzBVsWXUI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynAzBVsWXUI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cars that I have driven that people say are "better" than the NSX:

F355
SL65 AMG
DB9
V12 Vanquish
Viper SRT10
C5 Z06
C6
911 Turbo (993)

While these cars each were great in their own way, NONE of them gave me the same driving enjoyment as my NSX. It's not just about max HP and other "stats" in my opinion.

Comment back to your buddy on FB and tell him you like your japanese supercar because you like how rare it is... Really everyone and there mom has an F car as a toy especially in LA! Oh and you like not having to have it fixed every time you drive it. :biggrin:

Too true. The wife and I went up to Rodeo Drive on the weekend and we must have seen close to 10 F-cars running around. We where the only NSX:cool:

Cars like the new GTR are AWSOME!, but I think my mom could put in a good lap time in it. The NSX is easy to drive, but you still have to drive it. Especially when SPIRITED:biggrin:

Too true. The wife and I went up to Rodeo Drive on the weekend and we must have seen close to 10 F-cars running around. We where the only NSX:cool:

Cars like the new GTR are AWSOME!, but I think my mom could put in a good lap time in it. The NSX is easy to drive, but you still have to drive it. Especially when SPIRITED:biggrin:

Not to be a downer, but this actually is part of the problem. To answer Tim's question about why Honda hasnt stepped up, this is really it. The NSX was never a commercial success. That might be great now for folks who want to buy a piece of exclusivity at a great price, but it wasnt so great for Honda. Time will tell if the same thing happens to Nissan.

The fact that you can see so many Ferraris (at >$150k a pop) running around big cities at any moment shows the power of the Ferrari brand.

It costs billions to develop a car that can compete with a Ferrari in any real way. Being able to barely sell a few thousand of them doesnt cut it. The number of people who can spend over $100k on a car is small and Porsche and Ferrari (and even Aston) are TOUGH to fight here - and it isnt only about brand cachet. Maybe a lot of those folks just bought the Ferrari because it is what it is, but it doesnt change the fact that Ferrari, Porsche (and even Aston... LOL) make some SEXY ass cars that are TRULY amazing.

Honda, Toyota, Nissan... They dabble... They produce a one off and, thus far, the market doesnt really accept them if they are above a certain price point (even the Supra, which I think was a great value at ~$50k - was a commercial failure). Once the market pushes back, they retreat. They dont keep at it and establish a heritage. I dont blame them, but it is a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy after a while.

Last edited:
wuattt...

He just bought a new Aston Martin DB7...
The mass-produced DB7 was a tarted-up Jaguar XK (both shared the same platform, which was a refreshed/updated XJ-S platform). Not to mention it was offered in the '90s, originally w/ a (gasp) V6 which is rather denigrating for such a well-heeled market segment, and also being the only Aston's ever to be constructed of steel & complete exclusion of Aluminum (whether body or underpinnings).

Perhaps your friend acquired a late-model/current Aston, as-in a V8 Vantage / DB-S / DB9 / Vanquish ???

DB7 is a sub-$35k vehicle (well, many of them). New V8 Vantage are ~$125+, new DB9 are ~$175+, new DB-S are ~$275+. For $60k - $75k, a pre-owned V8 Vantage, DB9, and Vanquish can be acquired.

These are ultra-refined GT's (or roadsters, if Volante's), not sports-cars. Not to mention, despite their initial price-point (and the prestige that may come w/ such), they depreciate ridiculously to a point that most enthusiasts acquiring a similarly equipped new BMW 6-series/M3/335i, Mercedes Benz CLK/E-class'coupe, Lexus SC430, Audi A5/S5, etc' can acquire a pre-owned late-model Aston Martin w/ hardly any mileage for the same price-range. . .

And I'm not dismissing Aston's at all. It's perhaps my fav' marque in recent memory, as well as during the '50s-'60s. At the right price-point, they become a smart buy, just like an NSX (bottomed-out depreciation & leveled-off residual value despite usage, reasonable reliability/dependability). . .

Last edited:
Re: female NSX owners

Actually at NSXPO in Toronto this year I was pleasantly surprised to see 3-4 female owners and their cars. One in particular was apparently quite the track monster too! :cool:

True dat! On Friday when I was leaving Toronto I noticed a female driving her NA1 Berlina Black with chrome looking wheels (it was a U.S. car as it was mph speedo) at Eglinton Future Shop...

Yesterday a long time friend made a comment in my Facebook telling me to "just get a Ferrari already, I have no idea why you keep playing with these Japanese toy cars". Just some background. He just bought a new Aston Martin DB7 and lives in LA.

Your friend buys a DB7 and THEN asks you why you don't by a serious car ??? :eek:

How much does he plan to drive his DB7??

Perhaps you two should do a little tracking, each in his own car.
Or talk about maintenance costs in about a year from now :)

For real, the NSX is just as serious a car as you want it to be.
And as long as it is 'serious' enough, that's all that matters.

But honestly, I really think your friend is not talking about the car itself
He is just talking about IMAGE....

Hi all,
It took a while for me to get back to answer the questions Patricia and Tim asked since we were at our local road race track yesterday, but here are the details.......
Brian and I have a lightly modified 1992 Formula Red NSX that BOTH of us enjoy driving very much. We were thrilled to drive it to Toronto for NSXPO. I decided after that event that the prudent thing for me to do was sign up on Prime, as I have been lurking for awhile. I was really thrilled to read the story of Patricia getting her NSX, since she is another S2000 owner. I've had the opportunity to drive a few "exotic" cars (308, Shelby Series 1, Viper), but I would never give up my NSX for any of them. The ergonomics of most of those cars (especially in the foot well) seem pretty compromised. Our '2000' Honda S2000 is another car we will keep forever, being a first year production model, it is raw, fast, and a blast to drive. It is different than the NSX, but we love it. We get so many thumbs-up when driving the NSX, and when people ask about it, we can say "it's just a Honda".
Need more female forum participants!! :wink:
Judi

Re: wuattt...

Perhaps your friend acquired a late-model/current Aston, as-in a V8 Vantage / DB-S / DB9 / Vanquish ???

Not sure, they all look the same to me. :rolleyes: Here it is:
n1440516748_1811319_8937.jpg

...appears to be a Vantage.

Last edited:
I'm going to the Ferrari club Brazilian GP watching party on the other side of the metroplex in a few moments and get to choose between the 512BB Boxer and the NSX.

The Boxer just rips at 6000 plus rpms. Probably the best automotive sound short of an F1 car. Along the way I can worry about intermittent fuel pump problems which have left me stranded, hoses blowing off again , factory $20 mirrors that are there just to satisfy legal requirements, and if I stay late will the interior-instrument lights come on ? However when (if) I get there its always a thrill to be appreciated to bring this last hand formed, carbed, moving artwork from Ferrari. I would have to sit awkwardly to try a straighten out the back and hope it does before the drive home experience.
Probably will decline every invitation to race by Corvettes, Mustangs, Evo's etc etc on the way. Loosing is such a drag.

Or I can relax and drive confidently and comfortably in the NSX and be shunned for driving "the Honda".

Gotta go. Nico Rosberg/Williams wont wait. There's a few waterspots on the NSX that need to be addressed before I leave.

Greetings

Go out and rent a Ferrari, or whatever you think you would like. That way you can run the crap out of it without a salesman or owner sitting next to you. I did. That is why I did not buy several exotic cars.

We have 5 Ferrari's and 2 Lambo's in my area. None of them ever get driven ever. My neighbor with a 355 told me he wishes he had bought an NSX. I told him it was never too late. (It sort of is, because he will only buy cars new -- :-( )

Cheers

Last edited:
nice. . .

Not sure, they all look the same to me. :rolleyes: Here it is:

...appears to be a Vantage.
That's an A.M. V8 Vantage (not a DB7). Generally speaking, two types buy it: those who are admirers/fans of Aston's or those who are into prestige/name-dropping.

Brand-new it goes for ~$125k+ (pre-TTL w/o luxury/gas-guzzler taxes)... a pretty penny, for the above average / great performance it delivers, but far from excellent relative to it's contemporaries.

Pre-owned, ~$60k seems to be the trend (barely driven w/ micro-mileage); slightly less w/ high(er) miles, unique color-scheme, or at auction. . .

Last edited:
Back