• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Issues with Clutch- Help

I was driving my car on Sunday and I noticed that my clutch felt a little stange, just seemed "looser" and "softer" then normal. Granted, I've only had the NSX for a few weeks now, but I new something was just "not right." I drove for a few miles and when I finally arrived at my final destination, the shifter felt really notchy and then I could not get it into 1st gear or reverse. After pumping the clutch a few times, I managed to get into gear. Once I was in first, no problems shifting. I limped home and had to pump the pedal when coming to a full stop (to get into gear). Shifting into the other geas were not a problem. A few local NSX friends think that I need to bleed the clutch fluid, and perhaps some air got trapped. To give you some background, prior to purchasing the car the master and slave was replaced as noted in my PPI. They said they would bleed the system, but I'm not sure if they did a thorough job doing it. Did air get trapped in the lines? If so, why did it take almost 1k miles for this problem to manifest?

When I finally got home, I noticed my fluid is very low as well! But I noticed NO leaks. I'm really not sure at this point. Tomorrow we're bleeding the clutch fluid and see if that resolves it. I will also inspect the slave/master and see what's up. Is it possible I need the clutch replaced right now? Not sure what else the problem could be. Everything about the clutch seemed fine until this issue. If bleeding doesn't work, then I will have the car towed to a mechanic for a more expert diagnosis. thanks,

Last edited:
Your clutch master cylinder is bad and needs to be replaced. It is leaking but the leakage is under the carpet so you can't see it unless you get up under there.

^^^^What he said^^^^ I would repalce the slave also, then change your clutch fluid every year:).

Regards,
LarryB

It is possible one of the two are defective. Sorry about your bad luck. Hopefully this a minor setback.

I talked to an NSX master tech, and he said the same thing. I don't think it's worth wasting my time bleeding my clutch. I will have the car towed to an acura dealership and get this diagnosed by an expert tech. Thanks guys,

Make sure you check the hard line coming out of the top of the master cylinder. It could be leaking. I Had a car do this once, and I realized after the test drive and the pedal was funny, that there was a small leak in that fitting. 1/8 turn of the wrench cured it for me.

I thought the master was defective, NOT. It was a defective tech, me!!!!:D:D

HTH,
LarryB

Good news is that the slave that is shot, clutch is fine. They are replacing it today and I'll have my car back tomorrow. I am pissed the slave wasn't replaced when the master was done. I'm also annoyed this issue wasn't diagnosed during the pre-inspection. The service writer told me it was pretty evident that it should have been replaced. I have a bone to pick with this dealership from Virginia.. arghhhh

I am pissed the slave wasn't replaced when the master was done.

This was an option when the previous owner had the work done. He probably knew that he was going to sell the car and didn't want to spend any more than he had to. I just replaced my clutch master and didn't replace the slave. I do my own work so if the slave fails I will just replace it then. Who knows how long it will last. I flushed the fluid real good.

I'm also annoyed this issue wasn't diagnosed during the pre-inspection.

If the clutch master reservoir was full of fluid and there wasn't any evidence of leaks there wasn't anything to search for. Remember that a PPI is looking for obvious problems with the car, not necessarily what COULD fail.

The service writer told me it was pretty evident that it should have been replaced. I have a bone to pick with this dealership from Virginia.. arghhhh

This is after the slave started to leak. Before that it was clean and dry. Be thankful that this was all that was wrong. Enjoy driving your car. Find that smile that you had the first time you drove your NSX.

I bet that you didn't know that your wife was going to be as expensive as she has been on the day you married her! And I bet that YOU did the PPI!!!

Brad

synth19: Obviously. :D

Some people get upset if the garage is changing both with no respect to the owners money pocket. Other people get upset if they did respect your funds. How to please both groups? BTW: Did they change the hose in the engine bay too? (no need to change it until it fails :tongue::D)

Just wondering: Your car is a 02?

I bet that you didn't know that your wife was going to be as expensive as she has been on the day you married her! And I bet that YOU did the PPI!!!

Brad

LOL! What a comparision! :D PPI of what? the car or the wife? :tongue::D

Last edited:
Yes, my car is an '02. And folks, I was more then willing to pay for the slave and master. I don't think it was an issue of the previous owner getting cheap on me. He did exactly what the dealership recommended and didn't accept any money from me for work. If I knew what I know now, I would have insisted on the slave be changed at the same time. The current dealership said the slave was rusted out and looked to be in bad condition.

synth19: Obviously. :D

Some people get upset if the garage is changing both with no respect to the owners money pocket. Other people get upset if they did respect your funds. How to please both groups? BTW: Did they change the hose in the engine bay too? (no need to change it until it fails :tongue::D)

Just wondering: Your car is a 02?

Yes, my car is an '02. And folks, I was more then willing to pay for the slave and master. I don't think it was an issue of the previous owner getting cheap on me.

I'd call it a minor issue as it only costs a few bucks. What if the engine was blown or the car had a crash? Have a look at the positive side of the story: If the previous owner sold the car because of that thinking it was the clutch or whatever this was the chance you could even buy the car and fix it with a few bucks. Too much hypertheory in this story, I agree. :wink:

Just curious: A 02 is quite young for a master/slave defect.

^ Yes, I agree. Any theory why they may have failed? thanks,

If yours would have been a 91 I'd have called it normal. For a 02? Fluid never changed, high-frequent use of the clutch and just bad luck. Not worth thinking about it as we hope that they last longer this time. :wink:

I have already done an 03.

For that car I just did the master. Frankly I expect it back for the slave. Once you replace one end the other end really takes a beating, sincne you have a nice healthy seal pushing on a not so healthy one.

There was a post here from a gent who was in the airline industry that spoke about "seal crispness" and how it is essential to change both ends of any hydraulic system. That discussion had me decide to always do both going forward.

Regards,
LarryB

Larry and I had a discusssion at NSX Stock last week on this. Brake fluid is just too hygroscopic to leave in a car for long periods of time. As Larry mentioned above, changing the clutch and brake fluids yearly is cheap insurance (especially if you do it yourself). My '96 has 51k mi on it and all brake and clutch hydraulics are original. I flush a pint though the clutch and a quart through the brakes so I know there's none of the old stuff left.

Frank
'96 NSX-T

Back