• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Japan's Honda NSX Factory Refurb Program

Has anyone done this? I have a rare opportunity to ship my car both ways to Japan during my upcoming tour in Yokosuka.

To be honest, the facilities and/or the finished product(s) were not that impressive.

Roger. That kills that idea. I'll just sell before I go and pick up a Skyline or something to drive while I'm stationed there.

Skylines are sicccccckkkkk. Gt r34 all the way.

Last edited:
Actually, I was impressed with the level of craftsmanship and effort of the Refresh Center. The "throw out" parts they were displaying would be totally resuable by anyone else's standard and the amount of correction able to be performed seemed fairly comprehensive. It very much reminded me of the Mercedes Benz factory facility that performs the sambe type of service.

I'd suggest you actually get a hold of the Refresh Center and determine their qualifications (please note that it's the Honda factory ;) ) and comfortability with their service for yourself to make the best decision possible.

Actually, I was impressed with the level of craftsmanship and effort of the Refresh Center. The "throw out" parts they were displaying would be totally resuable by anyone else's standard and the amount of correction able to be performed seemed fairly comprehensive. It very much reminded me of the Mercedes Benz factory facility that performs the sambe type of service.

I too was impressed by the facility, and would have no problem sending my car there. Of course I can also think of several other things I would do with the cost for the refresh ($45K?).

dougpr
I'm station in Japan also in Atsugi. I shipped my car over throught the military. You need to ask permission first before you ship it out throught VRO. It will cost you 2000 USD for the emmision test and all that stuff. If you dont have a JDM tail lighting you'll need that to and stock wheels are perferred. So total about 4000 USD to get it Jap spec and ready to roll (thats with Insurance, JCI, Road tax, ECt ECt) You will be able to take your car back home as it required for you to do so when you finish your tour here in Japan. you might see me sometimes driving around Yokosuka base. If you need more info you can hit me up on my temp email(for 2 weeks) at [email protected]. I know some friends that are selling some GT-R skylines.

As I mentioned above, the quality level of the referb facility and those vehicles that were shown on site while quite good, were not up to the level (and perhaps the cost) of other manufacturer programs I'm familiar with.
In addition, there are restoration firms here in the US that would put Honda's work TO SHAME.
If I were ready to restore an NSX I'd either do it myself (I've managed projects like this before), or look to a firm here in the US before I shipped a car to Japan. Maybe others posting here just want to see the "referbed by Honda" badge on their car.
Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Skylines are sicccccckkkkk. Gt r34 all the way.

Forget the GTR34.

image.php

I wanna see more pics of this front bumper embellishment.............

As I mentioned above, the quality level of the referb facility and those vehicles that were shown on site while quite good, were not up to the level (and perhaps the cost) of other manufacturer programs I'm familiar with.
In addition, there are restoration firms here in the US that would put Honda's work TO SHAME.
If I were ready to restore an NSX I'd either do it myself (I've managed projects like this before), or look to a firm here in the US before I shipped a car to Japan. Maybe others posting here just want to see the "referbed by Honda" badge on their car.
Just my $0.02[/QUOTE

That's interesting Harry. I have no referrence but I do know about other manufacturers programs. Porsche has a very good one. However, I wouldn't doubt that level of excellence could be duplicated right here in the US. I know a bit about that here in Atlanta area. Takes a lot of time to get a high level resto.

Sounds like you visited the plant, what was it that disappointed you the most about their restos?

Sounds like you visited the plant, what was it that disappointed you the most about their restos?

It's not that I was "disappointed"... it's just that the facilities were so-so and the vehicles there were not full restorations, so it was difficult to judge. From what I saw it's difficult to justify mailing a car all the way to Japan.

I don't think I would characterize the facilities as "so so" but then again I would have no other frame of reference as a comparison. Considering the limited production of NSXs with the extremely small pool of persons looking to do a complete $45,000 USD restoration, I didn't expect to see a facility much different than we toured. I can't imagine that they would have more than a couple of NSXs at any given time.

1095742574_ca8DV-XL.jpg

1095745901_Q46dF-XL.jpg

However, we did "wonder out loud" what could be done with $45,000 if a stateside owner would ship his car to Joe "Pbassjo" Lomoriello of Vince's Auto Body here in NY as well as use Larry B at the same time..........

Joe "Pbassjo" Lomoriello of Vince's Auto Body here in NY as well as use Larry B at the same time..........

FWIW, these two gentlemen would be my refresh team if I decided to give my NSX the treatment, which I may do in a few years. ;D I would choose them over Honda.

Excuse my crashing this thread, but why would one ever want to refurbish/refresh back to total OEM :rolleyes:

There are so many aftermarket parts that significantly improve - esthetically, mechanically, performance and even comfort wise - that pouring $45K to go back to OEM just doesn't make sense unless one is trying to make it a permanent garage queen display in some museum. Even then, as much as the NSX changed the sports-car concept back in the early 1980s, sadly I don't think it will have that same kind of cache/niche of exotic cars on display.

Just my $0.025 - YMMV

I agree with 45k I can get an 02+ to add to the collection or I can stretch it and purchase 2 pre 02 models........I'm just saying the more the merrier.

Excuse my crashing this thread, but why would one ever want to refurbish/refresh back to total OEM :rolleyes:

There are so many aftermarket parts that significantly improve - esthetically, mechanically, performance and even comfort wise - that pouring $45K to go back to OEM just doesn't make sense unless one is trying to make it a permanent garage queen display in some museum. Even then, as much as the NSX changed the sports-car concept back in the early 1980s, sadly I don't think it will have that same kind of cache/niche of exotic cars on display.

Just my $0.025 - YMMV

Lol I wonder if they put back in an unbroken but flawed snap ring case..they put back in the paper mache window regulators...and they replace your archaic abs system with the same..:rolleyes::tongue:

excuse my crashing this thread, but why would one ever want to refurbish/refresh back to total oem :rolleyes:

There are so many aftermarket parts that significantly improve - esthetically, mechanically, performance and even comfort wise - that pouring $45k to go back to oem just doesn't make sense unless one is trying to make it a permanent garage queen display in some museum. Even then, as much as the nsx changed the sports-car concept back in the early 1980s, sadly i don't think it will have that same kind of cache/niche of exotic cars on display.

Just my $0.025 - ymmv

+100

Guess I'm going to have to join in on this one too. I agree. Not only that but the other comment about the team you can put together right here - absolutely! That makes a lot of sense really - why take it to Japan and spend enough for a late model NSX? Probably not a wise decision. When you mention the ABS and you know the SOS mod is out there - that makes no sense at all.

I get it now. 45k is crazy money.

I would assume that people do this because they love their individual car, and want to keep it forever, and give it a new lease on life. I would consider doing this with my 1994 NSX if I was in the $150k and up income range. I would love to have a fresh coat of factory Grand Prix White paint, and to get some of the gaps that have been knocked out of whack in 172k miles of use put back to perfect. That and getting all of the aluminum bits replaced to look factory new would be great.

FWIW, these two gentlemen would be my refresh team if I decided to give my NSX the treatment, which I may do in a few years. ;D I would choose them over Honda.

Me two...mine is getting refreshed as we speak,,,,by asimo:tongue:

the refurb makes a lot more sense if you owned an authentic Type R.

on that note, i would remotely consider this refresh if they included an option to rebuild it as a Type R. Then you can enjoy a true Type R stateside!

btw... doesn't Japan's vehicle registration system penalize you owning an older car? As in, you pay higher DMV fees as your car ages. Thought I read that somewhere.

Last edited:
Back