• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jay Leno's Garage reviewing NSX G2...

nsx_900_2015_07_19_01.jpg

Doesn't look bad at all with license plate. Question is, how do I do that in the US?

- - - Updated - - -

This here is the key component. I watched Jay review the Audi R8 - he gave it great praise and really seemed to enjoy the car. At the end though, didn't seem as though he wanted to own one. The NSX was different - seems like he might actually go out and buy one and that is a big thing and a real positive mark.

I disagree. I thought he enjoyed the R8 as much, if not more than the NSX. I would have to watch the video again to make sure. However, I put no stock in him saying he wants to buy one--simply because he endorses the NSX and is a paid spokesman. Of course, he will say he wants one (and probably there is already being one given to him free of cost). I can't emphasize enough that Jay's opinion on the NSX cannot be unbiased--he works for Acura.

i just watched both videos back-to-back, the NSX then R8. Jay seemed to like both cars in large and similar amounts, give or take. i will say the definitive winner in the engine category was definitely the V10 in the R8. Jay mentioned repeatedly (almost annoyingly) how "it really breathes" and how the engine response and sound was unparalleled. of that there is no question, however the rest is subjective. considering his employ with Acura, that should be taken into account with a grain of salt...

...Do you think fixing this front requires eliminating the hanging headlights? If so why, from a design standpoint?

^ I used to think that but now I don't. I think that how the headlights are perceived is based solely upon where the hoods leading edge-line gets placed. Because of the current beak which takes up space, the hoods visual front edge-line has to be moved upwards making it have that sedan face setup. Hey, I gotta an idea...a body kit that would eliminate this effect :wink:, the aggressive rake is definitely there and by just removing some of the complexity in the middle for a simpler face with a lower leading edge-line would make it less sedan-like. Someday...somebody's gonna do it :smile:.

I think it's important though not to interfere with the intakes under the headlights since the airflow animation shows air entering through there and coming out the hood. Pinning down the center intake and its purpose has been difficult. Some prototypes blocked that entire area off with some sort of acrylic while others had it opened. Then the current Euro production cars have a big old license plate right there blocking the opening (but also blocking the faux mesh – yeah) so I don't know. What do you think?

Last edited:
^ I used to think that but now I don't. I think that how the headlights are perceived is based solely upon where the hoods leading edge-line gets placed. Because of the current beak which takes up space, the hoods visual front edge-line has to be moved upwards making it have that sedan face setup. Hey, I gotta an idea...a body kit that would eliminate this effect :wink:, the aggressive rake is definitely there and by just removing some of the complexity in the middle for a simpler face with a lower leading edge-line would make it less sedan-like. Someday...somebody's gonna do it :smile:.

I think it's important though not to interfere with the intakes under the headlights since the airflow animation shows air entering through there and coming out the hood. Pinning down the center intake and its purpose has been difficult. Some prototypes blocked that entire area off with some sort of acrylic while others had it opened. Then the current Euro production cars have a big old license plate right there blocking the opening (but also blocking the faux mesh – yeah) so I don't know. What do you think?

I think you are right on about the importance of the hoods leading edge-line in determining how the headlights are perceived. I am assuming that you mean that the headlights themselves do not determine how sporty and low the front of the car is and that doesn't change if they are hanging. Do I have that right? If so, do you also think that the front can be simplified without eliminating the hanging headlights?

For me, the hanging headlights are not a problem per se. The front can be low, aggressive and simple with or with out them as long as they are seen as part of the hood's leading edge. That's why the thing I really like about your latest chop is that it creates continuity between the headlights and the center section of the hood. I think that the designers thought that recessing the headlights would make them appear to be meaner and more aggressive but in doing so, they killed the continuity of the front edge of the hood. The Avengers car doesn't have that problem. Perhaps that is what you were identifying when you stated that you wish they did not use the jewel eye LEDs. That is also why in my chicken-scratch drawing, I had the headlights continuing past the fender crease to the front section of the leading edge:

cc9b62d50472a22528f9000245465a00.jpg

On a related but slightly different point, what do you think of the slats on the hood vents that they considered as shown at 3:35 in the Jay Leno video?

Last edited:
i just watched both videos back-to-back, the NSX then R8. Jay seemed to like both cars in large and similar amounts, give or take. i will say the definitive winner in the engine category was definitely the V10 in the R8. Jay mentioned repeatedly (almost annoyingly) how "it really breathes" and how the engine response and sound was unparalleled. of that there is no question, however the rest is subjective. considering his employ with Acura, that should be taken into account with a grain of salt...

Haven't gotten a chance to check out a new R8 but I drove a Huracan with Dream Racing and I've gotta say that V10 sounds marvelous. Beastly and scintillating all at once. It definitely sounds better than a 488 or 911 Turbo. If the R8 gets that exhaust note, buyers will be in for an auditory treat.

I have to wonder how the regular R8 will sound vs the R8 V10+ though.

Trying to gauge interest in the NSX vs. the new R8. I just checked You Tube and although Jay Leno's review of the R8 has been out there a month vs. the 1 week his NSX review video dropped, the NSX review already has 300,000 (or 50%) more views.

Looks like the market hasn't lost interest in the NSX love affair.

Trying to gauge interest in the NSX vs. the new R8. I just checked You Tube and although Jay Leno's review of the R8 has been out there a month vs. the 1 week his NSX review video dropped, the NSX review already has 300,000 (or 50%) more views.

good catch.

Could some of that be possibly from better promotion since the R8 video? I don't recall Jay's car videos being promoted so heavily by NBC until recently. Seems like everywhere I looked last week, I saw numerous ads from NBC for Jay's NSX video. Can anybody confirm if this is new or has been like this for a long time now? May even be possibly from sponsorship by Acura? Just a thought.

Haven't gotten a chance to check out a new R8 but I drove a Huracan with Dream Racing and I've gotta say that V10 sounds marvelous. Beastly and scintillating all at once. It definitely sounds better than a 488 or 911 Turbo. If the R8 gets that exhaust note, buyers will be in for an auditory treat.

it is, one in the same...

Could some of that be possibly from better promotion since the R8 video? I don't recall Jay's car videos being promoted so heavily by NBC until recently. Seems like everywhere I looked last week, I saw numerous ads from NBC for Jay's NSX video. Can anybody confirm if this is new or has been like this for a long time now? May even be possibly from sponsorship by Acura? Just a thought.

It could also be that the internet browsers usually promote stuff you have visited in the past. I tend to spend some time over on a photography forum so whenever I'm there I see ads for new Acuras and when I'm here I see ads for new Canon cameras... Not too long ago I checked a few vacation sites and I also see ads for that, too but not as much.

Last edited:
It could also be that the internet browsers usually promote stuff you have visited in the past. I tend to spend some time over on a photography forum so whenever I'm there I see ads for new Acuras and when I'm here I see ads for new Canon cameras... Not too long ago I checked a few vacation sites and I also see ads for that, too but not as much.

So that means that there is still more interest in the the new NSX than the new R8. Correct?

So that means that there is still more interest in the the new NSX than the new R8. Correct?

In our world, yes :).

Keep in mind that everyone has been waiting anxiously to finally see the new NSX, the R8 has changed a little but to me it's not something completely new. See if you can compare how much publicity the original R8 had comparing to what the NSX 2.0 is getting now.

Are you saying that you have seen ads for this specific episode on the regular NBC affiliate? I have seen the occasional ad for Jay Leno's Garage on some other cable channel (Discovery?) but I have not seen ANY advertisements for the NSX episode of Jay Leno's Garage - on any TV channel or really anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

In our world, yes :).

Keep in mind that everyone has been waiting anxiously to finally see the new NSX, the R8 has changed a little but to me it's not something completely new. See if you can compare how much publicity the original R8 had comparing to what the NSX 2.0 is getting now.

That is an interesting thought and I am not sure how to find that out.

Playing devil's advocate, wouldn't there be an added challenge to marketing when the NSX brand has gone cold, so to speak, for over 10 years?

Last edited:
That is an interesting thought and I am not sure how to find that out.

Playing devil's advocate, wouldn't there be an added challenge to marketing when the NSX brand has gone cold, so to speak, for over 10 years?

Very good point, on the other side Acura has already showed us a sports car and we are now just waiting for it's successor, Audi was only known for luxury vehicles and the R8 was the first sports car that had the engine in the back.

Are you saying that you have seen ads for this specific episode on the regular NBC affiliate? I have seen the occasional ad for Jay Leno's Garage on some other cable channel (Discovery?) but I have not seen ANY advertisements for the NSX episode of Jay Leno's Garage - on any TV channel or really anywhere.

VP: Oops, I meant online, not TV. Paul - you're probably right. My browsing experience over the past week or two just seemed to have run into many links/ads/postings to the NSX episode at Jay Leno's Garage site at NBC.com than I'd ever seen before for any Leno's garage episode. Could be dumb luck, or could be that the sites I frequently vist like www.thebeakdoesntlookthatgreatsopleasestopitalreadyAcura.com, or www.todaysmusicreallysucks.com picked up on my NSX fandom and promoted Jay's video to me. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just watched the episode with the Jaguar XJ220. If anyone wants to see Jay display real passion about a supercar, that's a good one to watch!

Sucks - i clicked on both of those hoping they existed. I thought I could find a place to hang out with people like me, but alas you were just teasing!

What are you guys talking about. Those sites are alive and well in my imagination. I visit the music site anytime I feel too jealous of those who lived thru the Beatles years to the years of Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Van Halen, The Eagles, The Cars, etc, etc. or anytime my teenage nephews change the car radio station to their music. I've stopped clicking on the beak site, I just gave up on that; I'll revisit it when Honda comes thru on the rumored promises of seeking out their groove again and not completely giving in to the marketing committees. I would have also listed www.jonyiveiscompletelyruiningappleUI.com (alternate link HERE) but I don't want to raise [MENTION=5343]NSXrebel[/MENTION] 's dander any more than I did in older Apple threads. :)

What are you guys talking about. Those sites are alive and well in my imagination. I visit the music site anytime I feel too jealous of those who lived thru the Beatles years to the years of Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Van Halen, The Eagles, The Cars, etc, etc. or anytime my teenage nephews change the car radio station to their music. I've stopped clicking on the beak site, I just gave up on that; I'll revisit it when Honda comes thru on the rumored promises of seeking out their groove again and not completely giving in to the marketing committees. I would have also listed www.jonyiveiscompletelyruiningappleUI.com (alternate link HERE) but I don't want to raise @NSXrebel 's dander any more than I did in older Apple threads. :)

Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams! oh wait... :p

you savy tech guys should create a beak site, but call it the Acura egg tooth:wink:

Back