• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jinks engine build thread

Car will be here in an hour. Just testing out the gauge art now.

Attachments

• 448BADB2-540E-4640-9655-754A63108E6A.jpg
    448BADB2-540E-4640-9655-754A63108E6A.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 288
  • 0D23C482-25BD-48A4-9A3C-310501B9C2ED.jpg
    0D23C482-25BD-48A4-9A3C-310501B9C2ED.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 302
Thanks all. As a parting gift, there is a free set of CT sway bars in the trunk. Will bolt those up soon as well along with new engine hatch struts and some weatherstripping here and there I have been accumulating parts. Funny how I didn’t have the car for 10 months but I kept buying shit for it. Hah!

My little reminder of a huge mistake.
View attachment 150906
There are a few issues I need to address though with the car. I kinda don’t like the aftermarket ecu or the clutch. Clutch is hella jerky. It grabs like Trump. I only drove it around the block in flip flops. AC clutch doesn’t seem to be turning on. Probably something with the Aem tuner. It was getting dark when it arrived. So I’ll get at these things this weekend. It just seems to run extremely rich. I should’ve flown out west to pick up but I am too busy. I definitely need to see what the afr’s Are doing and install the gauge art.

My little reminder of a huge mistake.
View attachment 150906
There are a few issues I need to address though with the car. I kinda don’t like the aftermarket ecu or the clutch. Clutch is hella jerky. It grabs like Trump. I only drove it around the block in flip flops. AC clutch doesn’t seem to be turning on. Probably something with the Aem tuner. It was getting dark when it arrived. So I’ll get at these things this weekend. It just seems to run extremely rich. I should’ve flown out west to pick up but I am too busy. I definitely need to see what the afr’s Are doing and install the gauge art.

Depending on what aem you are on it may be easy to miss if the ac compressor isn’t kicking on since my tuner ended up forgetting to turn my ac on along with 2 others as well.

Depending on what aem you are on it may be easy to miss if the ac compressor isn’t kicking on since my tuner ended up forgetting to turn my ac on along with 2 others as well.
Thanks. That is what I gather. I will say, the trip around the block was fun. The car sounds like an absolute monster.... My neighbor has a Camaro LS and he came running over to my garage when I was tinkering with it. He lives 5 houses down and his car at idle shakes my garage door. There’s just some trims to do here and there. I love oem usability. I do not track. So this is all new to me. I just smell fuel and the car takes about 8 cranks to start. I’ll have the gauge art installed soon so I can see what everything is doing.I am on ems 2 btw.

So this is all new to me. I just smell fuel and the car takes about 8 cranks to start. I’ll have the gauge art installed soon so I can see what everything is doing.I am on ems 2 btw.

For what it's worth, one thing that helps:

Turn the key to on. Let the car sit and prime for a second or two. Now crank the car on. The AEM EMS will start virtually as quickly as stock. When I was still running AEM EMS on one of my other cars, it was only when I put the key in and instantly cranked the car that I would notice a bit of a delay of the car starting.

Like DocL said, the ecu might need some more fine tuning for the atmospheric difference in Florida.

The important thing is: she runs again. Congrats! LOL at buying stuff for a car you didn’t have in your possession for months.

I’ll try that. Anyone know any good tuners in South Florida?

Congrats Jinks!

Yeah, the AEM will require you to crank a bit longer on key turn. I don't mind it, but it does sometimes make me nervous, and is embarassing when I gotta do it more than once.

Gauge-art looks pretty sweet. I wish I had one, but right now I'm not keen on drilling holes into my dash to mount one. Do you say the Exedy Twin Organic clutch is jerky? I found it very driveable.

With a stand alone EMS like AEM (did you go Series 2 or Infinity?), it will need to prime for a second before turning the key to start. It will fire but there is a fail safe in this EMS so if something is not right, it won't start. Fear not. It will start.

As to running rich, Rancho Cordova, California is at 1200' elevation. You are now at 3'. An adjustment to the tune may be required for the difference in elevation. And for your A/C compressor. Glad you got her back.

As to the clutch, it is a whole different feel but with the new power comes new compromises. Enjoy.

Congrats Jinks!

Yeah, the AEM will require you to crank a bit longer on key turn. I don't mind it, but it does sometimes make me nervous, and is embarassing when I gotta do it more than once.

Gauge-art looks pretty sweet. I wish I had one, but right now I'm not keen on drilling holes into my dash to mount one. Do you say the Exedy Twin Organic clutch is jerky? I found it very driveable.
Get the sos bracket. No holes.

With a stand alone EMS like AEM (did you go Series 2 or Infinity?), it will need to prime for a second before turning the key to start. It will fire but there is a fail safe in this EMS so if something is not right, it won't start. Fear not. It will start.

As to running rich, Rancho Cordova, California is at 1200' elevation. You are now at 3'. An adjustment to the tune may be required for the difference in elevation. And for your A/C compressor. Glad you got her back.

As to the clutch, it is a whole different feel but with the new power comes new compromises. Enjoy.

Thanks. Yeah I will have the afr readings by tomorrow. That way I’ll know what it is doing.

Letting ecu sit powered up a few seconds doesn’t help start up. Still takes about 8 cranks. I can live with it I guess. AC was bone dry on refrigerant. I have it on a vacuum now to see if it will hold overnight.View attachment 150914

All charged up, blowing out ice cubs. Will inspect for leaks later. Whew. Can’t drive in Florida without Ac.

All charged up, blowing out ice cubs. Will inspect for leaks later. Whew. Can’t drive in Florida without Ac.

Ha....If you need A/C now I can't wait to hear about the ice truck you drive in the summer.

I fix Ac for a living. Carry 10 different refrigerants. Hahah

That start up issue sounds like a tuning problem Jinks. Not saying the tune is bad at all. Just saying the front end needs to be addressed.

I know AEM Series 2 and older standalones need to read the crank position twice before it will fire the coils. It's just a bit weird becaue it feels like it takes forever compared to OEM. Of course, the tune could still be off, or the cranking parameters could be modified.

Surprised to hear about the clutch... Of all four aftermarket clutches I've driven, this was easiest to drive. Maybe because its been 10 months since you've driven it too....

Back