• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Juice Fast...anyone done this?

I've been thinking about starting a Juice Fast...or All Juice Diet.

I was wondering if anyone here has done a Juice Fast and seen successful results.

For those of you who don't know what a Juice Fast is; It's an all body cleansing where you give your body a chance to get rid of old toxins and repair itself. Most people feel very much alive and rejuvenated in the end. Some people even loose tons of weight.

I'm thinking about starting a Juice Fast from this Monday to Friday. I'll probably start small with a 5 day diet and see how it goes from there.

I'm mainly trying to give my body a break from cigarettes and a poor diet. I've had body aches from my bad habits for a while now and I'm looking to see benefits from a Juice Fast. Of course I'll have to keep up good habits after the Fast so I don't fall back into a slump.

Only my opinion ,but drinking"juice" for 5 days is no way to undo years of bad habits.Try curbing your bad habits,and gradualy increasing regular exercise and a well balanced diet with priority #1 being to reducing the total number of calories consumed each day.

I haven't tried a juice fast as yet, but I have given it considerable thought. I started juicing a few months ago, and I juice A LOT. I only juice vegetables. No fruits. I must admit, when I started juicing I did feel considerably better. I've read tons of books about juicing and have experimented with various combinations. I would recommend you do the same if you haven't done so as yet. That way you'll know what combinations you like and what you don't. For example, one of my favorites is cabbage, carrots and ginger. I also like cucumber and spinach. Juicing is a wonderful source of vitamins and minerals. Good luck.

Only my opinion ,but drinking"juice" for 5 days is no way to undo years of bad habits.Try curbing your bad habits,and gradualy increasing regular exercise and a well balanced diet with priority #1 being to reducing the total number of calories consumed each day.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not looking for a miracle cure for my bad habits. I've tried exercising and eating right and I always fall right into my same old habits again.

Last edited:
I am not a professional in this field nor have I had any specialized training, but with that being said... these sorts of diets are laughable [not that they can't have some positive benefits]. I've studied nutrition over the last 4-6 years and have watched it evolve, seen and studied the newest "diet" and health trends, etc.

In general, you most likely already know what you should and should not consume. You need an adequate amount of water, fiber, various vitamins and minerals, calories, and healthy proteins. These allow your various bodily systems to work efficiently, give you enough energy, aid in repairing and supporting tissue, digestive system, etc.

Juice has plenty of calories (way too much sugar if you consume 2000 calories+ a day in juice primarily from fruits), functions as water more or less, and has some vitamins and possibly a few minerals if you drink a lot from vegetables.

You will not have any significant source of protein (even large amounts of spinach are difficult to efficiently convert into usable protein), which is not just for building muscle. If you are smoking and eating foods that are terrible for you, it's more effective, feasible, and sustainable to simply alter those habits then do quick fixes.

I have no idea if you'll feel better but the sugar may spike your insulin levels and actually cause you to gain weight while on this diet. I say this because most people do primarily fruit juices. My only qualification is I'm a health nut and had the 2nd fastest recovery from my knee surgery last week that my physical therapist has ever seen. The first was some Univ of Texas track athlete.

Last edited:
I am not a professional in this field nor have I had any specialized training, but with that being said... these sorts of diets are laughable. I've studied nutrition over the last 4-6 years and have watched it evolve, seen and studied the newest "diet" and health trends, etc.

In general, you most likely already know what you should and should not consume. You need an adequate amount of water, fiber, various vitamins and minerals, calories, and healthy proteins. These allow your various bodily systems to work efficiently, give you enough energy, aid in repairing and supporting tissue, digestive system, etc.

Juice has plenty of calories (way too much sugar if you consume 2000 calories+ a day in juice), functions as water more or less, and has some vitamins and possibly a few minerals.

You will not have any source of protein, which is not just for building muscle. If you are smoking and eating foods that are terrible for you, it's more effective, feasible, and sustainable to simply alter those habits then do quick fixes.

I have no idea if you'll feel better but the sugar may spike your insulin levels and actually cause you to gain weight while on this diet. My only qualification is I'm a health nut and had the 2nd fastest recovery from my knee surgery last week that my physical therapist has ever seen. The first was some Univ of Texas track athlete.

Steve.

You make some excellent points. Sugar spikes from fruit is a serious matter. That's why I don't juice fruits, only vegetables.

sweet Juice is crap, What are your goals? Lose wight I am guessing right?

Well, I know I can loose weight by eating right and exercising...plain and simple.

I'm not looking to loose weight by doing this. I know the faster I loose weight, the faster it will be put back on. I need to set long term goals for that.

I guess I'm just curious about Juice Fasting and what it does for the body. I realize now I need to keep fruits out of the fasting process.

Well, I know I can loose weight by eating right and exercising...plain and simple.

I'm not looking to loose weight by doing this. I know the faster I loose weight, the faster it will be put back on. I need to set long term goals for that.

I guess I'm just curious about Juice Fasting and what it does for the body. I realize now I need to keep fruits out of the fasting process.

Can you cook your food? The less stuff you eat out the better it is. I cook all my meals and have someone tell me what to eat and it's going great but its a lifestyle change. Don't screw around with this 5 day juice thing you need to change your lifestyle, people laugh at me when I bring my food with me and such but it's my life. If you need help on what to eat and such here is a few items

Lean prot. Eggs, chicken, tuna, beef, pork
good carbs, such as fruit not pasta and white bread
good fats. olive oil, nut butter, natural fats like nuts and such.

3500 cals = 1 pound

Keep all your refined crap out of your diet if you can, when you eat out they are in it to make MONEY not to keep you healthy, even subway sucks 2000mg salt per footlong.

Drink LOTS of water, I drink over 1 gallon a day now but it took time to get upto that much, my skin is better hair and never have dry lips.

Take fish oils and a good multi, Costco is good it's USP certified.

Can you cook your food? The less stuff you eat out the better it is. I cook all my meals and have someone tell me what to eat and it's going great but its a lifestyle change. Don't screw around with this 5 day juice thing you need to change your lifestyle, people laugh at me when I bring my food with me and such but it's my life. If you need help on what to eat and such here is a few items

Lean prot. Eggs, chicken, tuna, beef, pork
good carbs, such as fruit not pasta and white bread
good fats. olive oil, nut butter, natural fats like nuts and such.

3500 cals = 1 pound

Keep all your refined crap out of your diet if you can, when you eat out they are in it to make MONEY not to keep you healthy, even subway sucks 2000mg salt per footlong.

Drink LOTS of water, I drink over 1 gallon a day now but it took time to get upto that much, my skin is better hair and never have dry lips.

Take fish oils and a good multi, Costco is good it's USP certified.

Good info, thanks!

Well mainly I'm trying to loose weight and get healthier for my future NSX purchase. Seriously guys.

I'm 6'5" 270 and it's very hard to fit in the NSX, so if I can loose weight maybe then I wont have to squeeze into it or buy Low Max seats.

If you're trying to make a lifestyle change, pick up a copy of Body for Life and Eating for Life. The results (and I can speak from personal experience) are DRAMATIC in a 12week timespan. Six small balanced healthy meals a day, 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weight training. I followed it to a T and went from 16% body fat to around 8%. I do most of the cooking in my house, I get up Sunday morning and cook our lunches for the week, freeze some and tupperware the rest for the week. Another benefit of cooking your own meals - you know exactly what you are putting in your body, no artificial crap or preservatives.

Good Luck and post back on here how you are doing.

Here is what I eat daily

4 eggs, 1oz cheese
1 pack instant oatmeal
1 pat butter to cook eggs in

550 cals 40+- prot 30 carbs

6oz lean meat
6oz potato

500 cals 50g prot

1 shake 50g prot 220cals Isopure 0 Carb

Dinner 9oz lean meat / dark veggie
Or salad with oil/viniger

1.5 cups fruit
handfull of nuts
1 yogurt

Also you can get a book if you want but all you need to know is simple math and how to read a food label

1g prot = 4 cals
1g carb = 4 cals
1g fat = 9 cals

That's it, I keep my prot high because I workout hard, also the owner of my gym did 0 cardio and got down to 3% bodyfat so cardio is not needed to lose fat it just give you extral cals to play with.

I hate to break it to you guys but the general feeling of "well being" "transformation"" enlightenment" ect that comes with any of these radical diets,sweat lodges,massage with hot rocks,rakie,ect ect is due to the simple power of suggestion/placebo effect.Sorry you can argue all you want.Our minds are often the hardest "organ" to control.:wink:

I hate to break it to you guys but the general feeling of "well being" "transformation"" enlightenment" ect that comes with any of these radical diets,sweat lodges,massage with hot rocks,rakie,ect ect is due to the simple power of suggestion/placebo effect.Sorry you can argue all you want.Our minds are often the hardest "organ" to control.:wink:

I wouldn't disagree with that. I started juicing because some medical treatment I was receiving really screwed up my appetite. I didn't feel like eating, food had a metallic taste and I was extremely nauseous. Consequently, I turned to juicing. Perhaps my "feel good" while juicing was because I was feeling so bad. Today I must avoid certain foods and preparation methods. Juicing has been a good alternative for me.

I assume you are talking about the Juice diet and not Body for Life or Ryan's suggestions? Body for life pretty much mirrors what Ryan was saying which isn't really dieting, it's living a healthy lifestyle.

Although I haven't done the juicing thing, I have to believe it would be a benefit to add it to a healthy diet in moderation after all it's just another serving of vegetables.

Last edited:
people laugh at me when I bring my food with me and such but it's my life.

Isn't it sad? I get shit all day about my "cat food" and my bananas and whatnot at work.

Oh - And everyone who makes fun of my eating habits is fat. :biggrin:

The funny thing is my Health Insurance premiums are $50/m.

Keep eating, America. :rolleyes:

Meh - I agree with you, Doc.

*EXCEPT*

In the case of cardiovascular activity. My mood and overall sense of well being is elevated after strenuous exercise in the form of circuit training or cardio. I feel energized in the morning instead of sluggish.

My statement above is based on the average otherwise healthy adult.Not on someone with cancer/preexisting condition.I also did not include exercise because that can over the long term be very beneficial.

Isn't it sad? I get shit all day about my "cat food" and my bananas and whatnot at work.

Oh - And everyone who makes fun of my eating habits is fat. :biggrin:

The funny thing is my Health Insurance premiums are $50/m.

Keep eating, America. :rolleyes:

Yep same thing, I just laugh when we goto a party and I have a hot chick guess my age and she says 24-25? And I am 34 and I look at my friends that give me shit and smile :) Also I feel better and the better I eat the better I feel so it's dumb not too. Also now when I eat bad food anything fast food I get the shits lol
:biggrin:

Anyone have opinions on 'green drinks' like the one Dr Oz recommends?
I've been making them off and on for the last few weeks. Seems logical for someone who's too lazy to make a salid for dinner.

http://hitsusa.com/blog/277/dr-oz-green-drink/

Looks okay but just make a salad. It takes longer to eat a salad and it's more filling then some drink. To me I like to eat a lot and always have so I look for the most bang for my buck. When I look at a snickers for 400 cals and 2 prot I think about the 6oz of chick with a big side salad I can have for the same 400 cals price as well as the extra 25 grams of prot I will be getting from the chicken and lets not talk about the spike in blood sugar after the snickers and feeling like shit + wanting more food after it lol

I think about food different now, yes I still enjoy it but I base it on COST to me, in weight in what I need and how will I feel after I eat it. Also everyone that has not taken the time to learn how to look at food guesses about 30% high on cals or size of the food. I bought a food scale and used it for a year now I can look at chicken and know what 6oz or 9oz is just takes time to learn and if you want to or not.

Back