• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just bought 1991 NSX

Just bought 1991 NSX in red. Things I would like to do immediately is to change OEM wheels. Can you please educate me in do's and dont's with this car and must do mods on this car?

Cheers!

Congrats! NSXs are very special cars. Please enjoy your ownership.

I would stick with 16/17 or 17/18 setup (and there are a lot of options if you do search), and go for the lightest wheels you can find.

Welcome to the club. Congrats on your purchase. "Upgrading" to the 7 spoke wheels from 1997-2001 is a good move. MITAmotorsports has some aftermarket/OEM looking wheels that should also do the trick. Prime will have a ton of helpful information, so it depends on how deep you want to dig. :)

Welcome to NSX ownership. An excellent place to start in terms of familiarizing yourself with the car are the Prime Wiki pages.

NSX-Wiki (nsxprime.com)

The OEM wheels on the 1991 would have been the 15"/16" five spoke set. If appearance is your issue you can switch to the later 16"/17" (1994- 2001) or 17"/17" (2002- 2005) OEM rims without much problem - except tire sizing. It is becoming difficult to find matching front and back OEM tire sizes in the 15/16 and 16/17 rim sizes. The selection of matching tires is restricted. The typical fix to this is changing the front section width from 215 to 205 which generally opens a much larger selection of matching tires.

If you want to stray radically from the OEM sizes, be aware that you can create tire rub problems in the wheel wells and cause problems for the TCS with rolling radius mismatches in addition to the aforementioned increased steering effort. The tire and wheel forum has explored the options for the NSX in just about every form (including finding matching front and rear tires for the 15/16 and 16/17 rim OEM sizes). Go back through the posts for a couple of years and you should be able to find posts covering just about every tire and wheel option for the NSX and the associated problems.

NSX Tires & Wheels (1st Gen) (nsxprime.com)

I don't think there are any must do mods for the NSX (unless yo have a snap ring range transmission). Given that your car is a 1991 there may be a lot of must do maintenance. Depending on how much deferred maintenance you have that may suck up the surplus cash available for mods.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the NSX!

The OEM wheels from 1991 are pretty ugly (what was Honda thinking?). Be careful with your wheel choice. Larry B and others will confirm that the NSX was meant for a staggered wheel pattern. 15/16, 17/18. I am running 17/18. If you go with a bigger size you will have problems getting the wheels to fit or you will have to use a very low profile tire which will cause a lot of other problems if you every drive over bumps.

My fronts are 215/40 R17 and the rears are 275/35 R18. At one time I was running Yokohama S-Drives but they stopped making them. I now have a great set of Generals on the back. You will wear your rears much faster than your fronts under most cases.

Also, if you try running the same size on the front and back you may trip frequent TRS warnings as well.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I read a lot yesterday on NSX wiki about tires and got some brain damage(30 yrs information in 1 day is hard:smile:). I am planning to autocross and track the car. Do 16/17 or 17/18 provide any benefit over the other in this scenario?

NSX.jpg

Welcome and congrats on your NSX! Many people who heavily track the NSX actually use the OEM 15/16 wheels (without center caps) as their track wheels, since you can buy super-sticky rubber compound tires for fairly cheap. The 15/16 setup is one of the lightest for the NSX and will provide quite lively handling. They keep the larger "bling" wheels for daily driving. I would not go any larger than 17/18 on the NSX and would try to stick to the factory tire diameters.

Thank you! Currently car has Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires and looks like they are good for track driving based on quick google search[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Question about insurance, any suggestions on how to get this car insured as i spent quite a coin for this:smile: and i dont think Geico is taking into account the value of the car.

Thank you! Currently car has Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires and looks like they are good for track driving based on quick google search[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Question about insurance, any suggestions on how to get this car insured as i spent quite a coin for this:smile: and i dont think Geico is taking into account the value of the car.

RE-71R is one of the best performance tires available for the NSX. You are good to go. Just make sure to change your brake fluid with a good DOT 4 and use suitable brake pads before hitting the circuit. The OEM Acura pads will not stand up to track use.

As far as insurance, many of us here on Prime use agreed-value collector car insurance. It's best to have the car appraised first and use the appraisal to drive the coverage value. There are members here who can help with that process. Even if you don't go with an agreed value policy, the appraisal will be useful in helping with mainstream insurance like Geico, Allstate, etc.

Here is a fantastic NSX valuation tool based on real cars and real sales that you can use to share with the appraiser and/or the insurance company:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vRlMWrnUJz9cwfQRByIksV6s-9dCheISwbMUtPkDGngiPanuhIfiHDIcsmwfqBxOUZJb_-WUwbcHb7L/pubhtml

going with the later oem 17/17 setup will not harm anything I use that for track and street...

RE-71R is one of the best performance tires available for the NSX. You are good to go. Just make sure to change your brake fluid with a good DOT 4 and use suitable brake pads before hitting the circuit. The OEM Acura pads will not stand up to track use.

As far as insurance, many of us here on Prime use agreed-value collector car insurance. It's best to have the car appraised first and use the appraisal to drive the coverage value. There are members here who can help with that process. Even if you don't go with an agreed value policy, the appraisal will be useful in helping with mainstream insurance like Geico, Allstate, etc.

Here is a fantastic NSX valuation tool based on real cars and real sales that you can use to share with the appraiser and/or the insurance company:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...giPanuhIfiHDIcsmwfqBxOUZJb_-WUwbcHb7L/pubhtml

I have seen this doc. Level of detail in this doc is mind blowing.

Can you please help me with insurance process as i am not sure where to start?

BTW, I saw your build photos on insta and its amazing.

When you first asked about must do modifications, you did not mention track use. If you are going to seriously track your car then there are some must do modifications that you should consider

- replace the OEM harmonic damper with an ATI Harmonic damper or add a Cedar Ridge damper shield
- changing the ABS out for the the ABS used on the 2000 and later model NSX - you may have to do that anyway even without track use
- change to the larger diameter rotors used on the later NSX (or shoot the $ wad and go for a Stoptech BBK)
- cooling ducts for the front brakes
- check to see whether the lost motion assemblies have been changed to the later style lost motion assemblies and if not do it (good thing even if you don't track the car)
- a new radiator and perhaps a type R front hood to improve cooling system performance
- unless the coolant hoses have been replaced recently plan for a complete hose replacement and water pump replacement. Serious track duty requires frequent hose replacement because of the heat cycling that track duty presents
- if you are fast in the corners you will need an oil pan baffle to prevent oil starvation

Congratulations and welcome.

As far as modifications go, you can read my philosophy on modifications and what should be a "must do" right now. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...to-new-NSX-Owners-(and-maybe-some-not-so-new)

The Davis Design Fab coil protection kit is a cheap modification, but will help prevent the rear coil packs from looking like the ones in the photos from Kaz Ukai in the UK (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?181...D-engineer-with-F1-Indy-CART-background/page3). And since 91-94 coils run over $100 each for OEM coils (there are some aftermarket coils for the 91-94 that need a little "modification" to the plastic casing to make them fit), it is worth the $55/$67 + S/H for the coil pack protection kit from Mike Davis....

Wheels are not a modification that necessarily has to "wait" while you get a feel for the car...but do your research and ask questions before dropping big money on a set of wheels...there are members on here that have run just about every wheel/tire setup (also discussed in the post I linked above)...keep your old wheels. First, pick the tires you want to run based on your needs (if you are going to daily drive where it rains/gets cold, an ultra-high performance summer tire may not be the best option...conversely, if you are going to track/auto-cross/time attack with the car, then a set of high performance all-seasons are a bad choice). That will allow you to then match wheels to the tires and not the other way around. Billy Johnson (aka, "stuntman") will tell you the tire is what touches the road...don't compromise on your tires because you are trying to fit the tires to a wheel and the car...pick the tires and then get the wheel that supports the tires you are going to run. After that, the next things to consider are: 1) you don't have rubs (inner or outer) due to wrong size tires (too wide or incorrect offset) and 2) you don't get the TCS stagger ratio messed up. For a 91-93 ("Fat Fives" 15/16 wheel setup), the rears should be 7.8% (+/- 5%...ideally, keep it within +/-3%) bigger than the fronts (diameter or circumference...it only differs by Pi, so the ratio is the same...)

What made you decide to get an NSX? For me, it was after the first time I saw one in person, I knew it wasn't a question of "if" but a question of "when"....the NSX is one of about 3 cars that I have ever seen the first time and immediately loved the shape/lines...and I've had the other two as well...

Last edited:
Thank you all for the posts. It is very helpful. I am trying to read and watch, everything web has to offer on NSX.

As for mods, I will start with wheels first and the first noob question I have is which size to go to. That brings me to this question

Which staggered combination is better? 16/17 or 17/18? Why is one better than other?

Cheapest wheels i have seen is on Tirerack. Are they worth a shot?

I just started my sports car journey and I think I am in a phase(read age) where I want something nicer like NSX or 911's.

Better can be subjective. If better means lighter, you would stick with your current 15/16 arrangement. Note that 17"/17" is the OEM final arrangement not 17"/18", if that matters at all. I suspect that the shift from 15/16 to 16/17 and then 17/17 may have had as much to do with changes in style (less sidewall) than a change in performance.

The other 'better' factor is what tires you want to run with. That may determine the wheel arrangement. Depending on what tires you want to use that may eliminate some of the wheel size options. If you are looking at extreme performance summer tires or track only tires your current 15/16 setup has a better selection of matching tires than my later 16/17 setup so you might be better to stick with the 15/16 wheels. You will have to sort out tire availability for the other sizes.

If better means looks better, that is subjective and you should pick whatever you want. I happen to think the original rims look fine and period correct on what is essential a 30+ year old car design. If your desire is the look of really low profile, just realize that the tire & wheel combination will likely weigh more, the low profile tires will ride rougher and will be more subject to pot hole damage and curb rash.

Congrats on your 91

Hey there - congrats on your purchase. I just got my 2nd NSX. Had a 92 GPW and had to sell and recently got 91 Berlina Black. If you are planning to sell your wheels please PM me or send email to [email protected]. My login got messed up (normally was just "DansPlan" so I had to create this temp one for now. Thank you.

Just bought 1991 NSX in red. Things I would like to do immediately is to change OEM wheels. Can you please educate me in do's and dont's with this car and must do mods on this car?

Cheers!

About OEM 91 15/16" wheels,
what are the usual prices in US ?
I heard they are pretty expensive here in Europe (I've been told around 12k $ for the set of 4)

Nowhere near that bad here. I've seen for as little as $75/wheel up to around $500. Pricier ones have usually already been refurbished but may or may not have center caps.

About OEM 91 15/16" wheels,
what are the usual prices in US ?
I heard they are pretty expensive here in Europe (I've been told around 12k $ for the set of 4)

alright, thx for letting me know !

Makes sense, there was a lot more NSX sold in the US than in Europe. There was less than 180 units sold in France back then...

Hello! I also just bought a red/black (I should post my own intro, hmm) and am in the Bay Area.

I've been an autocrosser for over 20 years so feel free to ping me if I could be of assistance there; I don't think you will find a lot of people autocrossing their nsxes (IMO the car is not nearly as well suited to autox as track use).

I would seriously consider keeping the stock wheels for autocross/track use even if you want something that looks different for the street. RE-71Rs are fantastic tires. Or I guess if you don't want to keep the wheels, I could take them off your hands, even though my car also has OEM wheels w/ new high-quality rubber :).

-- Glenn

And that makes 3! I also just bought my dream '95 Red/Black after years of looking. I posted a welcome intro last week but apparently it's waiting to be "moderated" - not sure how long that takes. A laundry list of things to do but several months of winter to attack them.

Back