• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just bought a 2005 modded.......comments please

That is just a theory as to why the autos have lower hp. Who said that is why they detuned the engine? Honda never said that.

Another theory is that they used the different cams to help the lower range and thus the lower hp was a result of the cam.

Maybe Woodwork can chime in and shed some light. :tongue:

well with the SC its a has a tiny bit more HP that a bone Stock Manual tranny. with that being said someone is gonna post the dyno of this car and make me feel stupid so go ahead and post it

nice car. the rims alone are worth 4-5K HRE right?

I am sorry I just cant get over the Auto tranny.

dont track it cuz with that torque with the SC you will tear that tranny up.

thats why they DE-TUNED the Auto engines to reduce the torque as the tranny cant handle it.

its still only 3.0L engine 1991-2005 autos are 3.0L.

dont floor it. you might hear a bang and a clank that would be your tranny

I really don't think the automatics will be "more valuable" some day. If you look at the prices of the C2 Corvettes you'll find that the automatics don't bring as much money.
I agree. It looks likes the Automatic was already incorporated into this price. So the buyer probably still got a good deal on a very clean car.

I do disagree with another comment about automatics being worth more due to rarity. History on others cars speaks for itself. The muscle car world is a great example - 442 Auto isn't worth nearly as much as a 442 4spd.

Hey, once you get going with it for a while, I would be interested , and possibly some others might be, as to your thoughts on the Auto....

I debated the manual vs auto for quite some time, and there were certainly some very good opportunities for condition and price, that really tempted me....in the end I opted for the manual , however, I would like to know the thoughts from you in real world driving, as well as performance....(relative to the manual you had 7 yrs ago)...

As I get older, and my "basketball knees and ankles" age faster than the rest of me, I sometimes think an auto would be a nice way to go, especially since I don't really drive it hard, ...the car is essentially a cruiser on weekends for the wife and I...and the stock clutch is pretty high, and stiff....a lot of stop and go traffic would have me icing my knee that night I am sure....lol:redface:

Feel free to send me a PM from time to time to let me know your thoughts

I love the silver, was always my first choice...and I love the console platinum color....that may be the next upgrade I do , switch it and the door handle inserts over to the 05 color scheme...those parts are indeed pricey though...

Curtis

What suspension does it have? It is definitely lowered.

COMPTECH 1.5" Lowering Springs

HRE 549R Polished Staggered
  • HRE 549R 18" x 8" w/Polished Center & Outer Front Wheels, 1.5" Lip
  • HRE 549R 18" x 10" w/Polished Center & Outer Rear Wheels, 2.5" Lip
  • Michelin Pilot Sport "PS2" 225/35ZR 18" Front Tires
  • Michelin Pilot Sport "PS2" 265/30ZR 19" Rear Tires

I agree. It looks likes the Automatic was already incorporated into this price. So the buyer probably still got a good deal on a very clean car.

I do disagree with another comment about automatics being worth more due to rarity. History on others cars speaks for itself. The muscle car world is a great example - 442 Auto isn't worth nearly as much as a 442 4spd.

Certainly not disagreeing with you, but how much rarer are 442 autos than 442 manuals? That may make a difference? According to this link, http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers, only 767 auto NSXs were sold in America between '91-'05 versus 8,182 manuals. Only 8.5% of U.S. NSXs are autos. You guys would know better than me if that matters...just curious.

Certainly not disagreeing with you, but how much rarer are 442 autos than 442 manuals? That may make a difference? According to this link, http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers, only 767 auto NSXs were sold in America between '91-'05 versus 8,182 manuals. Only 8.5% of U.S. NSXs are autos. You guys would know better than me if that matters...just curious.

The fact that the Auto NSX came with a lesser engine and its only a 4 speed also hurts how desirable it is. The manual NSX got upgraded with a 3.2L and a 6 speed, while the automatic remained a 4 speed.

Value is based on how desirable it is, not simply how rare it is. If there was a red 1999 NSX coupe would it be worth more than a 1999 Zanardi given the same condition? The regular 3.2L coupe is surely more rare.

Last edited:
That is just a theory as to why the autos have lower hp. Who said that is why they detuned the engine? Honda never said that.

Another theory is that they used the different cams to help the lower range and thus the lower hp was a result of the cam.

Maybe Woodwork can chime in and shed some light. :tongue:

Why would you think that the hp is lower in the automatics and even into the NA2 - the hp didn't change and they kept selling the 3.0 engine?
If it's not because the tranny can't take the additional torque and hp I wonder what it would be? Honda doesn't come right out and say a lot of things.

On rarety - automatics just aren't as desireable when you get to "drivers" cars - plain and simple. I don't care how rare an automatic is - take Porsche for example on the older "long hoods" with the sportmatic trans - they're rare and the parts on that tranny cost out the ying yang and maybe it's interesting to see one but no one really cares to own one simply because it has an auto trans. If you are a driver that needs one - well that's why they are sold - not because they are so desireable -but because it helps them reach a wider audience but the low numbers reflect the low number of folks that wanted one in the first place. That's all there is to it, imho.

This car was a good deal for several reasons - without the SC it would still be a good deal - hard to sell perhaps but a good deal. The SC could be sold off and that makes it an even greater deal. This purchase was pretty much a no brainer imo. Low miles on top of that - shoot - why would you not buy the car if you like autos. There will always be people that want an auto for reasons of their own and "baseball knees and ankles" are surely one of them! Don't second guess this purchase - it's a good one!

Last edited:
Many people here believe it was detuned on purpose because the tranny couldn't handle 270 hp. So with several failed auto trannys reported here on Prime (even non-tracked), don't you think Honda would have thought it can't even handle 252hp? They detuned it so only a 1/4 of all trannys failed instead of 3/4s of them?? :rolleyes: My "guess" is that they underestimated the weak tranny altogether. Why would they detune a car that will still produce failed transmissions?

Hence it's my speculation is that the different cams produced lower hp. It is also my speculation they didn't do anything when they went to the NA2 because of the $$ it would take to change and test different cams in a 3.2 auto.

I wish someone asked these questions at Fiesta.

Why would you think that the hp is lower in the automatics and even into the NA2 - the hp didn't change and they kept selling the 3.0 engine?
If it's not because the tranny can't take the additional torque and hp I wonder what it would be? Honda doesn't come right out and say a lot of things.

On rarety - automatics just aren't as desireable when you get to "drivers" cars - plain and simple. I don't care how rare an automatic is - take Porsche for example on the older "long hoods" with the sportmatic trans - they're rare and the parts on that tranny cost out the ying yang and maybe it's interesting to see one but no one really cares to own one simply because it has an auto trans. If you are a driver that needs one - well that's why they are sold - not because they are so desireable -but because it helps them reach a wider audience but the low numbers reflect the low number of folks that wanted one in the first place. That's all there is to it, imho.

This car was a good deal for several reasons - without the SC it would still be a good deal - hard to sell perhaps but a good deal. The SC could be sold off and that makes it an even greater deal. This purchase was pretty much a no brainer imo. Low miles on top of that - shoot - why would you not buy the car if you like autos. There will always be people that want an auto for reasons of their own and "baseball knees and ankles" are surely one of them! Don't second guess this purchase - it's a good one!

....So with several failed auto trannys reported here on Prime (even non-tracked), don't you think Honda would have thought it can't even handle 252hp? They detuned it so only a 1/4 of all trannys failed instead of 3/4s of them?? :rolleyes: My "guess" is that they underestimated the weak tranny altogether. Why would they detune a car that will still produce failed transmissions?

I wish someone asked these questions at Fiesta.

I have found one person to date that has a failed auto tranny. And that only person is on Prime and they tracked the car for a weekend. Over the course of two days it blew.

Other than him I don't know of any others, if you do can you post links or some other type of validation ??

I am not being defensive as I dont really care. I will beat on it; and IF/when the tranny gives out I already spoek with Level10 and they will rebuild it. With the SC and mods I suspect it will eventually give out. I will report as time goes buy.

The tranny's durability really is just a speculation. I never really knew where that whole thing with the auto trans being weak comes from. I just don't like it because it doesn't have the same power as the 5-6 speed cars.

Congrats - I almost flew out to Vegas to buy that car, but opted to go to Chicago instead and buy VIN #00001 - yes, the 'other' silver/black '05 automatic.

I thought about getting mine (which is stock except for the zanardi rims and a goofy XM radio where the ashtray used to be) vs. yours with all the mods. I am a weekend driver and not much of a mechanic so I opted to save a few grand and go for a car that I could handle mechanically as well as financially.

Once again, you've got a sweet car and I hope you enjoy it!

Delivered last night and I am VERY pleased so far:

Attachments

• IMAG0104.jpg
    IMAG0104.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0113.jpg
    IMAG0113.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG0111.jpg
    IMAG0111.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 73
Druby has an auto and he tracks the hell out of his car. No failures that I lknow of.

That side shot picture is shot in front of the Rio here in Vegas. I remember that car and owner as he briefly showed up to a few Las Vegas NSX Club meets; Joe I believe his name was. Nice guy and you got a great deal. He'd been looking to sell that car for a very long time so I'm sure he came down quite a bit from his original asking price. Congrats.

:cool:...IF YOU WERE SMART ENOUGH TO MAKE THE MONEY TO PAY FOR IT I FIQURE YOU MUST BE SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE,I ALSO AM LOOKING FOR AN AUTO 97-2000 .....BEEN THROUGH THE GEARS ON MY BIKE FOR YEARS NOW I AM READY TO KICK BACK AND ENJOY ...WITH SOME NICE WHEELS AND EXHAUST SYSTEM I;M GOOD

the auto tranny in my '94 failed about 6 months after i purchased it from the previous owner. the reason wasn't bad design according to the nsx tech at courtesy acura in orlando. it was a failure on the part of the previous owner not changing the fluid. also, the only failed part was the second gear clutch pack.
i replaced it with a remanufactured transmission from acura in japan. i now change the fluid with every other oil change (6k miles) and i've had zero problems after almost 7 years. it still shifts hard with the throttle wide open and when it shifts to second gear, the rear jumps out to the right slightly. if the road is wet, it almost swaps ends when going into second.
the nsx tech also told me that he's worked on them since 1991 and mine was the first automatic he's replaced.
the reason i bought the auto over the standard was i didn't want to replace clutches.
as far as your car, it's perfect the way it sits. the modifications to the engine aren't extreme and the exterior is tastefully done. especially the HRE wheels.

drive it and enjoy it.

congratulations!

rog

I'm (way up) in Madison NC...north of Charlotte.
I have a lift and if you are on the roads and looking for a little day trip...come on up!

Car looks fantastic!

When it warms up count on it.
Are you off of 85 or 77 ?? What exit number ?

This is great information. I'm glad to hear this and it should surely put our new owner/member at ease with his NSX. How hard to you drive your car - it sounds like you don't baby it? Keeping the fluid changed may just be the ticket - funny how maintenance works wonders isn't it. Thanks.

the auto tranny in my '94 failed about 6 months after i purchased it from the previous owner. the reason wasn't bad design according to the nsx tech at courtesy acura in orlando. it was a failure on the part of the previous owner not changing the fluid. also, the only failed part was the second gear clutch pack.
i replaced it with a remanufactured transmission from acura in japan. i now change the fluid with every other oil change (6k miles) and i've had zero problems after almost 7 years. it still shifts hard with the throttle wide open and when it shifts to second gear, the rear jumps out to the right slightly. if the road is wet, it almost swaps ends when going into second.
the nsx tech also told me that he's worked on them since 1991 and mine was the first automatic he's replaced.
the reason i bought the auto over the standard was i didn't want to replace clutches.
as far as your car, it's perfect the way it sits. the modifications to the engine aren't extreme and the exterior is tastefully done. especially the HRE wheels.

drive it and enjoy it.

congratulations!

rog

Back