• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

K Series Ignition Coil Retrofit Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are proud to announce a major technology upgrade for the NSX. Using this retrofit kit NSX owners will be able to use the most powerful, abundant, and cost effective OEM Honda ignition coil on the market.

Installation is full plug and play, no cutting, splicing, adding relays, custom wiring, or monkey business of any kind is required! An aftermarket ecu is recommended as the K series coils have a faster charge time than the OEM NSX coils. Full installation instructions include ECU adjustments as well.

For boosted NSX's, this is a must have upgrade! NSX owners that run OBD1 coils with an aftermarket ecu will no longer be forced to run low quality after market ignition coils as OBD1 NSX coils are discontinued!

For ordering, pricing, and additional info:
http://www.foundry3studios.com/product/nsx-k-coil-swap-kit

IMG_20170605_150934.jpg IMG_20170605_150940.jpg

That's great! A few questions please.

1. I'm not familiar with the ignition adjustment in my aftermarket ECU. what is the difference and which parameter should I tweak? I'd like to get the ignition timing correct for the drive to the dyno for a full retune later.

2. Will the OEM plastic coil covers still fit?

3. Seems like we have to source the K series coils. Where would you recommend we buy these and P/N? I don't want to screw it up the order

4. PM me the price for the set please.

5. Have you tested for any additional electrical noise in the system? I assume there isn't any but just don't want to be the guinea pig :)

I know this works with my HKS F-Con because my tuner used it on his NSX a long long time ago. It's been on my to-do list so glad you got to it first!

Took this from your site:

***Designed to work with K Series coil P/N: 30520-RRA-007 or equivalent, aftermarket ecu or Prospeed ROM required to update coil dwell***

Just to confirm, for those running a Prospeed chip with RDX injectors, the tune needs to be updated with new coil dwell values?

If the difference is faster firing, would these work with a piggyback like the F/IC, which can delay ignition timing ?

That's great! A few questions please.

1. I'm not familiar with the ignition adjustment in my aftermarket ECU. what is the difference and which parameter should I tweak? I'd like to get the ignition timing correct for the drive to the dyno for a full retune later.

2. Will the OEM plastic coil covers still fit?

3. Seems like we have to source the K series coils. Where would you recommend we buy these and P/N? I don't want to screw it up the order

4. PM me the price for the set please.

5. Have you tested for any additional electrical noise in the system? I assume there isn't any but just don't want to be the guinea pig :)

I know this works with my HKS F-Con because my tuner used it on his NSX a long long time ago. It's been on my to-do list so glad you got to it first!
:) :) :) :)

1. Coil Dwell needs to be updated for the coils to work within OEM spec. Coil Dwell is the amount of time in milliseconds that the coil takes to reach full charge.
2. Yes they do.
3. I can source them (I believe at $55 each) on an as needed basis.
4. I have tested them on an OEM NSX for a week with no changes and they work just like OEM, I have also tested on my car with Haltech for 6 months.

If the difference is faster firing, would these work with a piggyback like the F/IC, which can delay ignition timing ?

The K series coils charge about 17% faster than the NSX coils at baseline. Coil Dwell is all that needs to be updated. Please note, ignition timing and coil dwell are completely separate things.

As an aside and for the communities understanding ->

OEM NSX Coils are dumb coils, there is no microprocessor or anything of the sort in them, they receive a stepped signal from an external igniter, they will overheat if there is an issue or not tuned proper, they have very old and antiquated internal winding's, and as a result they are no match for modern smart coils in reliability and performance in harsh environments. Modern smart coils have an internal igniter and charge/discharge management internally as well as protection.

The NSX coils are some of the first Honda coil on plug coils on the market and, Honda didn't update them to a modern design due to the fact that they didn't change much of anything on the first NSX program compared to most models in the sporting world. As a result, the OEM NSX ignition maps in the ECU are a little more complicated than most would think.

OEM NSX coils take 3.6 ms to charge at 14V, and 3.0 ms to charge at 15V.
K Series coils take 3.0 ms to charge at 14V, and 2.9 ms to charge at 15V.

The maximum difference in charge time is approx 0.6 ms (0.0006 seconds) at low RPM which is very (very) minimal. Where is gets complicated is the NSX coils can overheat, and Honda's OEM ECU ramps the charge time down with RPM to avoid overheating.

As a result the K series coils will operate within their design spec above 3k RPM in an OEM NSX ECU or any aftermarket ECU using OEM NSX coil settings. K series coils have internal logic boards that prevent overheating, and I believe that without any changes they will last for a very very long time if not forever in an NSX with an OEM ECU.

I can't be certain that K series coils will fail sooner than designed without testing for upwards of 10-50k miles. I do have a Prime user testing them on an OEM ECU, and I believe we will not see any failures.

Last edited:
There are 23 kits in the wild at this point without issue.

We were not able to get them to work on an OEM ECU though, The K coils do however work fine on an aftermarket ECU using OEM NSX coil settings which begs the question why they don't work on an OEM ECU.

I too would love if folks could chime in here. I do run them in my car, but my feedback doesn't count :)

Maybe ask Matt "sr5guy"
He may be able to shed some light on why they don't work with the OEM ECU.

They work fine with my Motec M800 ECU

I'll buy another set for my other NSX if you can get them to work with the OEM ECU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back