• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Latest cost for Timing belt service

I am curious what are the current rates for TB service owners are seeing? I am probably going to have a Honda dealership perform it.

Location and hands involved are major factors for this (or most) jobs. In CA, you're looking anywhere between 3 to 5 grand depending on who's doing it and what additional things (which may be reasonable to address) are done alongside.

Labor is about 10 hours so what rate your shop charges times 10. Parts are extra obviously and can vary depending on where you source from. For reference I paid ~ $1,300 for parts (OE parts sourced by the shop) and $1,250 for labor in NorCal. I'm sure I could've save a few hundred dollars if I sourced the parts myself but didn't want to go through the trouble in case there were issues. Good luck

I'm probably looking at having a timing belt/water pump service done this summer, too. Are there any other items that would normally or could be addressed while having this work done? The car's running well and has about 50,000 miles on it. Thanks.

I'm probably looking at having a timing belt/water pump service done this summer, too. Are there any other items that would normally or could be addressed while having this work done? The car's running well and has about 50,000 miles on it. Thanks.

Depending how long it’s been since your coolant hoses have been done (and what year your car is) that might be smart, at least the ones in the engine bay.

Cam plugs/seals are a good one while there

If it’s a pre 2000 car you could consider the LMA upgrade but that adds some significant labor.

A crank pulley shield if you aren’t replacing the pulley.

Alternator and A/C belts

Depending how long it’s been since your coolant hoses have been done (and what year your car is) that might be smart, at least the ones in the engine bay.

Cam plugs/seals are a good one while there

If it’s a pre 2000 car you could consider the LMA upgrade but that adds some significant labor.

A crank pulley shield if you aren’t replacing the pulley.

Alternator and A/C belts
Thanks. Not sure what the "LMA upgrade" is, but I'll price everything that you suggested and then query some of my local NSX friends.

Thanks. Not sure what the "LMA upgrade" is, but I'll price everything that you suggested and then query some of my local NSX friends.

The Lost Motion Assemblies. Prior to 2000 they were little tiny oil filled pistons. Well over time because of how little our cars are driven the oil in there doesn’t circulate enough and gums up and makes the pistons stick. You get a clicking noise from them and the engine will sound like there are a bunch of sewing machines running. In 2000 they upgraded the design to a beehive spring design. Only problem is, to swap them the cam shafts have to come out

NE Pa dealer major was 2400 all in.

I would budget at least $2500 to have it done. Make sure whoever you have do it knows what they are doing and familiar with the NSX. Do the coolant hoses as well while you’re at it if they haven’t been replaced.

Last edited:
My local Acura dealer wants $2200, but when it’s time next year, I’m headed to Source 1 to have it done. Rather someone who does NSXs more frequently does the job.

My local Acura dealer wants $2200, but when it’s time next year, I’m headed to Source 1 to have it done. Rather someone who does NSXs more frequently does the job.

I would be doing same If I had no relationship or trust with local dealer.

Not representative too but in Switzerland it's around $6000 with engine out. Quite a rip-off.

I can confirm it. My last TB/WP replacement in 2018 cost me CHF 5320 (around USD 6000). Tears flow when I see how affordable life is everywhere else.
Born in the wrong country, living in the wrong country...:confused:

Happy for you guys all over the world, enjoy your NSX ! :smile:

Last edited:
I can confirm it. My last TB/WP replacement in 2018 cost me CHF 5320 (around USD 6000). Tears flow when I see how affordable life is everywhere else.
Born in the wrong country, living in the wrong country...:confused:

Happy for you guys all over the world, enjoy your NSX ! :smile:
I visited Switzerland once, and while it may not be an inexpensive place to live, the driving roads there would be spectacular!

I visited Switzerland once, and while it may not be an inexpensive place to live, the driving roads there would be spectacular!
Yes, regard the high labor costs as kind of an additional road tax.

Fact is, that while it's expensive here techs around the world have better skills.

I gotta ask: does the TB service include the water pump?

Because changing the coolant is a big job in itself...takes me all day and few cycles to purge the system of air.

Because changing the coolant is a big job in itself...takes me all day and few cycles to purge the system of air.

Yes. At least it was standard as part of my TB service. Valve Adj too.

AlldataDIY will be able to give you the labor information in hours so you can extrapolate from there. YMMV, but most mechanics use this reference when quoting jobs.

AlldataDIY will be able to give you the labor information in hours so you can extrapolate from there. YMMV, but most mechanics use this reference when quoting jobs.

Alldata is a subscription service. Would you happen to have access to it? I would suspect it quotes 7-8 hours for a timing belt, water pump replacement. Add a couple of hours for LMA update. I haven't yet done it on my C30, but did the tb/wp on my C27 and it was pretty much a 6-7 hour job.

Hey Drew, I done the full coolant flush in October when doing the TBWP and have a question. The coolant level is just below the horizontal line on the plastic OEM coolant tank, but when the car is up to temp it goes up like an inch or so above the line. Is this normal? I did the LarryB trick where you raise the rear of the car and bleed the coolant from the lowest point to the highest. Car drives fines, but since you says it takes all day I'm second guessing myself .

Make sure to replace all the little rubber o-rings and seals inside the engine while you have it apart. It's a few dollars worth of parts and some extra labor, but it ensures your engine will run another 20 years problem free. I would strongly recommend the LMA as well. On the original hydraulic assemblies, it's a matter of when, not if, they fail. If your crank pulley is original, I would consider replacing it at this point also, or at least adding a shield to protect your timing case.

Alldata is a subscription service. Would you happen to have access to it? I would suspect it quotes 7-8 hours for a timing belt, water pump replacement. Add a couple of hours for LMA update. I haven't yet done it on my C30, but did the tb/wp on my C27 and it was pretty much a 6-7 hour job.

Yes, you have to pay to access AlldataDIY. It's $30 a year for a single car and $20 for subsequent vehicles. I can look when the weather subsides and I can get to the shop. Will keep you posted.

Re: coolant fill

I can't recommend vacuum fill enough on any mid-engine vehicle where lines run to the radiator in the front. It's worth the investment and makes refilling and bleeding so much easier.

Back