• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Latest cost for Timing belt service

Re: coolant fill

I can't recommend vacuum fill enough on any mid-engine vehicle where lines run to the radiator in the front. It's worth the investment and makes refilling and bleeding so much easier.

I bought an Airlift coolant vac tool a few years ago. I have used it several times, not on the NSX yet, and it works great. Highly recommend one.

I bought an Airlift coolant vac tool a few years ago. I have used it several times, not on the NSX yet, and it works great. Highly recommend one.
I have Airlift too, great tool.

21ca7d9eab7de0551bf4a5608b350b47.jpg
d28da5b588e249dac7abc0966e0c48ca.jpg
6e816a81deda00f825f74ae9c9c5faaa.jpg

Did it last month here in Switzerland. WP and coolant hoses were done last time (9 years) but only made 10 kmiles since then and the car has less than 50 kmiles, always sleeping in a warm garage. This time I made TB, valve adjustment crank seal and pulley, fuel lines (after the filter) and coolant flush. I have the parts in stock for LMAs but they do not make any noise. My garage charged me 8.5 hours 1200 CHF (same in $) for the job (excluding parts) with motor in.

Just a point of reference from the SouthEast. Local indy shop just quoted me ~$3000 for the TB/Water Pump service. The split was 50/50 for labor/parts cost. This is my 2nd time around with my '93.

This was an Acura NSX specialty shop so not sure if it would be cheaper at a dealer. But I would feel better taking it to this indy shop just for peace of mind.

Not all timing belt services are created equal, nor should they be. This time was more of a 'refresh' than a 'belt swap' for me.

This quote is from a reputable shop about a year ago
Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 7.27.41 PM.jpg

Plus optional services

Coolant Hose Replacement
engine bay only: Parts $168.82 + $480.00 Labor if done with timing belt service
complete car: Parts $413.68 + $840.00 Labor if done with timing belt service

camshaft plug & seals
Parts $109.23 + $480 Labor if done with timing belt service (no labor if LMAs are being changed also)

VTEC spool valve seals.
Parts $81.02 + $180 Labor if done with timing belt service ($60 with LMAs)

LMAs
Parts $229.00 + $600 Labor if done with timing belt service

My DIY my parts bill was:
$1600 from Amayama for: timing belt, timing cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, water pump, new crank damper, cam seals, cam plugs, LMAs, fuel filter, VTEC solenoid gaskets, oil pan gasket, new WP bolts, accessory belts, new idlers and every seal that gets replaced along with that job. Also Hondabond and new ABS Flexi lines.

+$150 locally for new plugs and 4 gallons of Honda coolant

+$800ish for every coolant hose in the car and a few related items from Delray

+ Whatever you value the oil, filter, trans fluid and brake/clutch fluid I had on the shelf at

Hey Drew, I done the full coolant flush in October when doing the TBWP and have a question. The coolant level is just below the horizontal line on the plastic OEM coolant tank, but when the car is up to temp it goes up like an inch or so above the line. Is this normal? I did the LarryB trick where you raise the rear of the car and bleed the coolant from the lowest point to the highest. Car drives fines, but since you says it takes all day I'm second guessing myself .

What ever happened to Larry B.? I never see him on here any more.

retired from crawling under cars...

Back