• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lexus LFA Smashes record at the ring

FYI - I met the Lexus Marketing Director at a cars n coffee meet this past weekend where he brought out the LF-A. I asked him about this record lap time, and he said that nobody at the Torrance HQ was able to get confirmation on the story yet, or if the LF-A was true production spec or not.

He was letting people sit in the LF-A and even gave some people a quick spin after the meet!

Top Gear USA?
It's gotten better but going from horrible to tolerable I guess is a step in the right way. The "Car Show" on Speed is much more enjoyable to watch.
FYI - I met the Lexus Marketing Director at a cars n coffee meet this past weekend where he brought out the LF-A. I asked him about this record lap time, and he said that nobody at the Torrance HQ was able to get confirmation on the story yet, or if the LF-A was true production spec or not.

He was letting people sit in the LF-A and even gave some people a quick spin after the meet!
Was it just me or does it seem like a hard sell for Toyota to get the LFA sold? It seems almost every local car meet i've been to lately (not many) have had a LFA representative campaigning the car. It doesn't seem as if the car is selling itself :(

yes, was really good last Sunday.

It's gotten better but going from horrible to tolerable I guess is a step in the right way. The "Car Show" on Speed is much more enjoyable to watch.

I might have to give it a second chance. And maybe check out The Car Show.

Was it just me or does it seem like a hard sell for Toyota to get the LFA sold? It seems almost every local car meet i've been to lately (not many) have had a LFA representative campaigning the car. It doesn't seem as if the car is selling itself :(

This probably true, but for me it is a good sign from Toyota. Seeing a large car company send representatives to grassroots meets like this gets them better in touch with gear/petrol heads. Understanding who your potential clients are and to hear what they think in in a setting like that is invaluable. There is so much cross pollination between car clubs, car web sites, and meets now that press like this is extremely beneficial.

Honda should be taking note...

How much of a hot-rod is this LF-A "Nürburgring Edition," relative to the standard LF-A? Is it like the standard USDM GT-R & then the SpecV version?

Maybe the fact that Toyota holds the title for 2-3 years is keeping buyers away.

This probably true, but for me it is a good sign from Toyota. Seeing a large car company send representatives to grassroots meets like this gets them better in touch with gear/petrol heads. Understanding who your potential clients are and to hear what they think in in a setting like that is invaluable. There is so much cross pollination between car clubs, car web sites, and meets now that press like this is extremely beneficial.

Honda should be taking note...
I believe all "500" units of the LF-A have been pre-sold/sold-out, as of last summer (2010). The acquisition of an LF-A does involve the standard 2-year lease from Lexus, along w/ a sizable upfront down-payment. When all is said & done, the owner will have paid ~$375k+ for the down-payment, lease and buy-out. What I do wonder is how many LF-A's will be dumped- err' available after the 2-year lease terms if/when owners don't wish to complete the purchase and/or do so but drop them into the marketplace?

And yes, I do applaud Lexus (namely Toyota) for their F-sport initiative, ala' LF-A, IS-F, LS460-Sport and F-Sport equipment/packages for their GS, IS & IS-C. I'm not a huge fan of the current L-Finesse design & styling philosophy of Lexus, but past Lexus offerings were at the top of my list ('92-'96 ES300, '92-'00 SC300/SC400, '95-'97 & '98-'00 LS400, '01-'05 IS300) & to have had the opportunity to get sport/performance editions or packages & accessories such as the current F-Sport offerings & bits, I would've been beyond pleased!

Nice avatar, RYU... ;)

Last edited:
I had the privilege to inspect the LFA quite "intimately" and in my opinion and that of a couple of automotive engineers, it is at par with the most exotic of cars made in the last 10 years. I also had a chance to attend the assembly of an Enzo at the factory back in 2002 and i can vouch the LFA's materials, assembly and fit and finish are superior. I am not surprised Totyota made very little if any profit with the LFA. It is worth every penny IMO.
It is common knowledge that the Enzo made a handsome profit for Ferrari. I would put the LFA at the same level as the Carrera GT, cars that are made with no regard to profitability just a showcase of engneering and quality. The SLS and R8 are production cars with off the shelf parts and assembly lines like the P911 and F458's.

I have as well, its simply amazing. :smile:

How much of a hot-rod is this LF-A "Nürburgring Edition," relative to the standard LF-A? Is it like the standard USDM GT-R & then the SpecV version?

I believe all "500" units of the LF-A have been pre-sold/sold-out, as of last summer (2010). The acquisition of an LF-A does involve the standard 2-year lease from Lexus, along w/ a sizable upfront down-payment. When all is said & done, the owner will have paid ~$375k+ for the down-payment, lease and buy-out. What I do wonder is how many LF-A's will be dumped- err' available after the 2-year lease terms if/when owners don't wish to complete the purchase and/or do so but drop them into the marketplace?

And yes, I do applaud Lexus (namely Toyota) for their F-sport initiative, ala' LF-A, IS-F, LS460-Sport and F-Sport equipment/packages for their GS, IS & IS-C. I'm not a huge fan of the current L-Finesse design & styling philosophy of Lexus, but past Lexus offerings were at the top of my list ('92-'96 ES300, '92-'00 SC300/SC400, '95-'97 & '98-'00 LS400, '01-'05 IS300) & to have had the opportunity to get sport/performance editions or packages & accessories such as the current F-Sport offerings & bits, I would've been beyond pleased!

Nice avatar, RYU... ;)

From what it seems while the standard LFA is beastly enough the "Ring" edition literally was made to conquer the "Ring". Which it has done. On OEM spec tires, not semi-slicks! The "Ring" edition has different wheels, better aero and a 10hp bump.

The car really is unreal at full blast, I can vouch for it. Simply incredible, on par with the best from Europe!

Last episode was a complete knock off of the British show, when they had video game vs real car on a track, and the indoor top speed record. Remember the NSX vs Play Station and their attempt to smash the indoor record with an F1 car?

They need to do something really different. Bring out a NASCAR or Indy car or something. Top Gear Brit frequently have F1 and rally cars~!

Last episode was a complete knock off of the British show, when they had video game vs real car on a track, and the indoor top speed record. Remember the NSX vs Play Station and their attempt to smash the indoor record with an F1 car?

They need to do something really different. Bring out a NASCAR or Indy car or something. Top Gear Brit frequently have F1 and rally cars~!

I disagree. The UK version had clarkson try to beat his time on the PS2 on leguna seca in the NSX in real life.

USA Topgear had the two goofy guys on Forza 4 (which looks awesome by the way) trying to beat Tanner in real life.

I thought it was really good and well done.

The show is not as good as the UK version, but their challenges here have been pretty funny.

I can't stand Adam Carolla, so no car show for me.

Yes, the driver now qualifies for 99 weeks of unemployment.
Apparently he is ok.

I feel bad laughing at that ...

Don't call it a "Lexus" LFA either ... it doesnt come in the typical Lexus colors casket black, denture cream white, silver hair silver and loafer brown. I hope this car will help wake up their image a bit at least. If you are a multi-millionaire the sound alone is worth the cost

Hi

What I read about the LFA Nurburgring edition is that it was a limited production of 50 cars out of a 500 that has a 11hp bump and some aero upgraded. It also has a fixed spoiler at the back. Lowered and a upgraded chassis vs a standard LFA.

It is indeed fast. But in my head this LFA is not the fastest on the ring. I'm not sure where my limit is. 50 cars is too low of a number. It has been built to beat the ring time and that means no soupe for you in my head.

If that even makes sense.

I do not think the time is valid with such a limited edition car that has been built for that specific purpose.

Top Gear US VS Top Gear UK. Yes I prefer UK. But US is coming along nicely. The episode where Foust drove the Porsche in downtown Chicago (?) was good. I think it is enjoyable and they are getting there.

They need some time. UK Top Gear has evolved a lot since the first crappy beginning.

Even Top Gear Australia was coming along nicely. They are now cancelled.

Best regards

Back