• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Loads of questions !!

Hi,
As virtually all you guys seem to be from the other of the pond to me, I thought I'd introduce myself and then ask a whole bunch of questions.
Hopefully you have some answers as the NSX seems much more popular in the U S of A than it over here in Britain.

Question 1. Front lower suspensions arms / wishbones...These arms have a compliance bush which I think is causing me problems with the camber. The body shop can't adjust more negative than 1 degree positive. The other side is fine, and the tracking is fine too, but with all the adjustment taken up, we still can't get negative camber. It pulls to the right virtually all the time too, (The right side is where this problem is).
Honda (Acura) tell me the bush comes as part of the cast aluminium upright/housing that bolts on to the chassis and is going to cost about £700 ($1100) to fix. ie just for a bush !!! The reason I think its the bush causing it is there's no sign of any accident damage at all, but the suspension bush seems split very slightly, possibly allowing more compliance than it should.
Does anyone know of any replacement bushes for these arms please, preferably stock specification..?
Also, as the stock camber and tracking setings mean the car eats tyres more than any car I've owned, does anyone know how much increase in tyre life you can get if the suspension settings are set to a less radical set-up ??
Will for instance playing around with the tracking give me a bit more negative camber..?

Question 2 - The car has a Limited Slip Differential fitted (5 speed box)which is noisy around 1800 - 2200 RPM. Is this standard ?? is it easy to fix, or change the oil to a thicker grade ?? Any help please ?

Question 3 - I've seen loads of discussions related to clutch shudder on take-up. Is this standard or just happening to a few of you ??? (I've had mine replaced but it still does it...)

I hope someone can help cos the problems are turning a potentially great car into a dog.

Thanks, Taff.

Question 3 - I've seen loads of discussions related to clutch shudder on take-up. Is this standard or just happening to a few of you ??? (I've had mine replaced but it still does it...)

This is usually caused by driver technique. It helps if you blip the throttle and let the clutch out as the revs are falling. This is described in the clutch section of the FAQ.

Hi Taff - There are actually several fellows from your side of the pond on here, maybe a few will jump in and say hi... With regards to your questions:

1. I find it hard to believe one of those bushings would be split without something pretty serious happening. In any event, yes it is only available from Honda as part of the entire assembly, and no, there are no aftermarket ones available that I know of. If yours is damaged, your best bet is probably to try and get one from a junk yard (try www.erzauto.com in the US and you can have it shipped over).

2. You can move the camber and toe settings closer to zero to improve tire wear. You will change the handling of the car a bit (slightly less crisp turn-in from adjusting the front and slightly more tendancy to oversteer from adjusting the back). If you don't like it that way you can always set it back.

3. How have you determined the noise is from the LSD at 1800-2200 RPM? What kind of noise? There is some noise if you get on and off the throttle at low speed, but not a whole lot if you are steady on the throttle.

4. As nsxtasy said, try revving it higher than you want to engage, then engage the clutch as the revs drop.

3. How have you determined the noise is from the LSD at 1800-2200 RPM? What kind of noise? There is some noise if you get on and off the throttle at low speed, but not a whole lot if you are steady on the throttle.
Unquote

The noise only comes on/off throttle, which makes me suspect the LSD friction plates. It also makes a noise going over speed bumps etc. Has anyone got any recommended LSD oil for this.

Thanks,

Taff

Back