• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a better tire

I've been running Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (300 wear rating)
stock wheels 245-40-17, 215-45-16. Looking for a recommendation on a tire that may handle a little better without wearing out quickly (perhaps a wear rating in the 240-280 range)
Thanks in Advance

OH boy...

I've been running Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (300 wear rating)
stock wheels 245-40-17, 215-45-16. Looking for a recommendation on a tire that may handle a little better without wearing out quickly (perhaps a wear rating in the 240-280 range)
Thanks in Advance
You'll want one of the tires in the "maximum performance summer tire" category at the Tire Rack. I recommend the Continental ExtremeContact DW, which you can get in 205/45-16 for the front to go with 245/40-17 for the rear. The treadwear rating is 340, and I know that's higher than the DZ101, but believe me, it will perform better.

You could also go to one of the "extreme performance summer tires" but they won't last as long (with treadwear ratings typically in the 140-200 range).

Last edited:
does dropping from 215 to 205 in front cause any problems or lessen grip due to the narrower width?

Actually you may find many tires where a 205 is actually wider than the 215 you currently have.

The section widths are nominal sizes, as I have already determined, even in the same model of tire the widths can be off.

I would easily take a stickier 205 over a "wider must be better" tire in 215.

As far as recommendations - the conti's are good, if you had DZ101 then almost anything will be better, I hated those tires.

Just click on my signature. I love these tires and am we are on our third set. They handle great, are great in the rain, look good, and are very quiet, less hum than any other tire I have ever ran, except maybe Michelin Pilot SX MXX3s (discontinued). On the first set, I got 36,000! miles on the rears and a whopping 50,000! miles on the fronts, suspension set to stock specs, never cross-mounted. I went up one size front (22545ZR16) and one size rear (25540ZR17) to get a complete set for the NSX. They are W-speed rated with harder rubber in the shoulders for longevity and softer rubber in the centers for traction.

I am on my second set; my daughter is on her first set. She recently drove to NC (ten hours each way) and I just got back from a trip in her car (Mustang GT convertible) to Rochester, NY (seven hours each way). So as you can see our cars are not garage queens. I highly recommend these tires.

Last edited:
Just click on my signature. I love these tires and am we are on our third set. They handle great, are great in the rain, look good, and are very quiet, less hum than any other tire I have ever ran, except maybe Michelin Pilot SX MXX3s (discontinued). On the first set, I got 36,000! miles on the rears and a whopping 50,000! miles on the fronts, suspension set to stock specs, never cross-mounted. I went up one size front (22545ZR16) and one size rear (25540ZR17) to get a complete set for the NSX. They are W-speed rated with harder rubber in the shoulders for longevity and softer rubber in the centers for traction.

I am on my second set; my daughter is on her first set. She recently drove to NC (ten hours each way) and I just got back from a trip in her car (Mustang GT convertible) to Rochester, NY (seven hours each way). So as you can see our cars are not garage queens. I highly recommend these tires.

Not to create a confrontation...but the Nexen is a pretty poor tire. The dry traction is very bad...however you are right, it does last forever. This tire would be a definite downgrade from the current DZ101

The Continental DWS is a great tire, as well as the Michilen Pilot PS2. A tire that is not very well known right now but is FANTASTIC is the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?UsersessionID=90605891&BandgroepID=1&BandtypeID=3

does dropping from 215 to 205 in front cause any problems or lessen grip due to the narrower width?
No.

I would easily take a stickier 205 over a "wider must be better" tire in 215.
Nicely stated. The primary factor in grip is the tire make and model (and its corresponding design features, such as compound, tread pattern, construction), not its width.

Just put on Bridgestones RE11 all around on stock 16/17...love them...can't comment on wear yet ,but superb grip and feedback...my 2 cents.
As I noted above, the extreme performance summer tires such as the RE-11 just don't wear as long, and they're also pretty expensive. Their performance is great, but I didn't recommend them because the OP said he wants a longer-lasting tire.

The Continental DWS is a great tire, as well as the Michilen Pilot PS2.
The Continental ExtremeContact DWS is an all-season tire, and I would not recommend it for the NSX. All-season tires are compromise tires, which sacrifice performance in moderate to warm temperatures in order to provide the additional flexibility of decent traction in bitter cold and light snow.

The Michelin Pilot PS2 is not available in 16" sizes for the NSX front.

Last edited:
Not to create a confrontation...but the Nexen is a pretty poor tire. The dry traction is very bad...

No offense taken! Please don't be mad, but I don't know where you are you getting your information. I have never read any negative comments from anyone who actually owned a set. I agree with the guy in the link who says they are the best tire he has ever owned.

I find the Nexen N3000 to be the ideal tire for an NSX. The hard rubber compound in the sidewalls resists edge wear, and the soft rubber centers provide excellent traction. This is important because of the stock NSX alignment specs.

A tire that is not very well known right now but is FANTASTIC is the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.

I had not seen that one before; very interesting.

Last edited:
i currently am running the Conti DW and here are few observations:

positive:
-good wear
-good traction
-quiet
-well-balanced sidewall stiffness

negative:
-extremely long break-in (500+ miles)
-poor 'on center' feel due to large longitudinal grooves in the tread pattern.
-not very communicative

i know you are looking for better tread life, according to few guys here the Dunlop Star Spec will last as long as the Contis yet will provide you with better feedback (thats what i would try). don't get me wrong, the Conti is a good tire but if you are very picky and understand what the tires are telling you then you might be dissapointed with the 'feel' of the car, even though the tires will grip just fine. if you liked the 'feel' of the car on oem Bridgestones then it will be hard to duplicate it with others.

I actually did,
I had them on DSM, I dont know why but I did.
And they almost cost me a car, I was trying to push them on a off-ramp, bad idea the broke loose with no warning they snapped, I can tell that I did not get to push them that hard before they gave in.

And that was on a AWD car. They are brutal.

-MSR

according to few guys here the Dunlop Star Spec will last as long as the Contis
No, they won't - not if the usage and other conditions (e.g. tread depth at replacement) are the same.

The Star Spec has a lot to offer; it's as sticky as any street tire you can buy, and in many sizes it's less expensive than comparable tires. But it won't last as long as the Continental ExtremeContact DW.

Last edited:
The Continental ExtremeContact DWS is an all-season tire, and I would not recommend it for the NSX. All-season tires are compromise tires, which sacrifice performance in moderate to warm temperatures in order to provide the additional flexibility of decent traction in bitter cold and light snow.

The Michelin Pilot PS2 is not available in 16" sizes for the NSX front.

You know, I actually meant, ContiSportContact 2. Sorry about that. But I also see that is very limited in 16" sizing as well.

ryu, yes I have driven on a pair, and actually know a good amount of people that tried them, and they severally lack grip. It is a cheap china tire and has very little grip compared to other performance tires. It does last a long time though, because the rubber compound is so hard, which is a reason for the lack of grip. For a cheap performance tire I prefer the Hankook Ventus V12 or the Sumitumo HTRZII...but again that lacks OE NSX tire sizing.

No, they won't - not if the usage and other conditions (e.g. tread depth at replacement) are the same.

The Star Spec has a lot to offer; it's as sticky as any street tire you can buy, and in many sizes it's less expensive than comparable tires. But it won't last as long as the Continental ExtremeContact DW.

there was a lengthy discussion not too long ago comparing the two tires in question- i simply quoted the outcome, i never had the Dunlops hence i operated on hearsay- how long did those last on your NSX?
since i do have the Conti DW on my car right now, i would not recommend those unless tread wear is your major objective. in my opinion, you throw away all the wonderful benefits that the highly developed chasis offers and i pinpoint the problem to the tread pattern design- this would have been a great tire if the pattern was more conventional (instead of having the longitudinal grooves/rings that bend too much). in the future i will sacrifice few thousand miles of tire life to regain the total enjoyment of the car, thats why we bought them in the first place, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
there was a lengthy discussion not too long ago comparing the two tires in question- i simply quoted the outcome
I don't believe it. Link, please?

As for the Continental vs stickier but faster-wearing tires like the Star Spec, RE-11, AD08, etc, those who are looking to get the ultimate performance out of the NSX are better off with these sticky tires. The max performance tires like the Continental offer very good performance (although a step down) with longer treadlife. Some people may wish to make that trade-off, while others might not. That's why there are different tires on the market.

Some of the posts have mentioned that I am looking to get more miles out of my tires. What I'm looking for is a tire with better grip. I'm not too worried about wet traction because I live in a dry climate, and if I do get stuck out in an unexpected rain, I'll get my wipers out of the trunk and ease it back to the barn. My driving style has caused the DZ101's to wear out in 8K miles, even though I rotate and monitor wear pattern like Ralph Nader. It sounds like the Conti Extreme Contact DW will give me better grip with comparable or better tread life...eh !

Some of the posts have mentioned that I am looking to get more miles out of my tires. What I'm looking for is a tire with better grip. I'm not too worried about wet traction because I live in a dry climate, and if I do get stuck out in an unexpected rain, I'll get my wipers out of the trunk and ease it back to the barn. My driving style has caused the DZ101's to wear out in 8K miles, even though I rotate and monitor wear pattern like Ralph Nader. It sounds like the Conti Extreme Contact DW will give me better grip with comparable or better tread life...eh !
Its a good tire and will more than likely give you better life, but I don't think it will give you better grip. Might be somewhat close, but unless you can get the last few tenths out of a tire, the difference between the DW and Starspec's peak performance is probably irrelevant for the majority of drivers.

The Starspec, AD08, Hankook RS3 are currently the fastest street tires out there.

??? I could be wrong, but if the tires are the same make and model a narrower tire up front would have less grip. That would then make the car push more than before.

It probably wouldn't matter to the average driver, but still...

Back