• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a solid setup! Help!

To keep the story short, I bought a 91 nsx about a year ago and slapped some 18x8 +40(front) 19x9.5 +40(rear) TSW Carthage wheels on it but now it's time to upgrade performance. I want to go with a few items but wanted input from prime members as to what the "best"choices might be. The list I am thinking of is as follows:

SOS advanced headers or CT engineering headers?
SOS endurance lite exhaust or taitec JGTC parallel or any other suggestions?
SOS high flow cats or SOS test pipes?
Downforce intake scoop or is a full intake system really necessary?
SOS big bore throttle body or is this not even worth it?
Bilstein HD dampers (simply because I wanted the car a little bit lower and didn't want to go with stock)

As you all have probably noticed, I kindof went crazy on the Science of Speed stuff but I heard from a friend that they do have very good products. I would greatly appreciate suggestions or comments on all parts and if their is something else I can do without going forced induction.

I would only do the big bore TB if you are doing supporting head mods, I have their enlarged TB and really didn't make any difference however I am doing all of those supporting head mods now so maybe it will be all part of a good equation.
The rest of the parts listed is personal preference as to what sound you want, but SoS is a great vendor to deal with.

Thanks for the input on the throttle body!
Any idea of better build quality/fitment and performance gains on the headers? SOS or CT engineering?

Thanks for the help Scammy!
Anyone else have an idea of which one is better as far as headers go? Comptech(CT engineering) or SOS? I'm also looking for any type of discount considering my order will be in the $5000.00 USD range so anything can help. Do prime members get any type of discount from them? I know many people on prime buy from them. Thanks in advanced for the help guys, I'm looking to place my order over the weekend so anyone's 2cents would help me finalize this.

The CT headers are top quality and fitment and have been around since the 1990's. The old SOS headers made more power, but IIRC some had fitment issues. SOS discontinued those and have a new model out- also making more power than CT. I believe SOS offers a discount for NSXCA members. I've always been pleased with their parts and service for my NSX.

Scammy is right about the big throttle. Useless for anything that is not boosted or 3.2L+ In order to gain any benefit, you must bore out your intake manifold to match the TB.

Intake is also useless on a stock NSX. The topic has been beat to death for years, but the factory box is more than adequate for a NA 3.0L. If you are after sound, the DF scoop attached to the factory box will give you a nice induction growl, but will trap more dirt and water. Bilsteins are a great choice for suspension.

I'd go with the SOS headers, test pipes, and the endurance lite exhaust or Taitec GT Lightweight.

Your NSX will feel and sound significantly different.

you will run out of road in Haiti!:tongue:

Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it. I think the new model headers from SOS fix any fitment issues. If SoS headers make more power and are just as solid build as CT, I think I'm sold on the SoS. Looks like I'm leaning towards a full SoS exhaust system.
Thanks honcho and scammy for saving me the money on the throttle body!
Anybody running or seen someone running nitrous on their NSX?

I recently had SOS headers and their Endura Lite put on my '91. No complaints whatsoever and fitment was perfect. Love the sound and will probably do test pipes real soon.

To start off, you need lighter wheels... if you are thinking of performance, get performance oriented wheels!
Headers, exhaust and intake combo is always a good start! But looked like your 1st step toward performance is wrong, so fix that first mod and you should be solid onward ;) (28lbs fronts and 32lbs rears) wheels are not performance oriented for the 270 HP vehicle.

To start off, you need lighter wheels... if you are thinking of performance, get performance oriented wheels!
Headers, exhaust and intake combo is always a good start! But looked like your 1st step toward performance is wrong, so fix that first mod and you should be solid onward ;) (28lbs fronts and 32lbs rears) wheels are not performance oriented for the 270 HP vehicle.

I completely agree with you that the TSW's are definitely the wrong wheels and size for performance. I also have a set of Enkei RPF1's in 17x8 +45 (front) 18x10 +38 (rear) sitting in the garage for the performance oriented outings. I just really like the look of the TSW's, especially for the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Dsmx intake manifold and LoveFab headers?
DSMX intake manifold? Where can I find it and what type of gains can one expect out of it?

Back