• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Loosening of Front Engine Mount Bolt

I'm having more vibration at idle than I think is normal and so want to try the "loosen front and rear engine mount bolts, then run the engine" fix. I got to the back engine mount pretty easy, but how in the world do you get a ratchet on the front engine mount bolt? Its a little frustrating - I can see the bolt, I can touch it, but I cant get a socket/ratchet on it (something with leverage, like a breaker bar). I've tried every combination of rachet/socket/extension I've got and nothing will work. Any ideas - like, is there something I should remove, carwise, to more easily get to the bolt?

Thanks.

My recollection is that the nut doesn't turn. You have to loosen the bolt from the drivers side of the engine mount. I don't recall it being that bad when I installed my headers.

Yes, the nut has a tab that locks it in place. You can't turn the nut. You have to turn the bolt (below the radiator overflow tank). Here's a wrench solution that worked for me - although I would have rather used a small but very powerful pneumatic impact wrench. It took me so long to figure this out that I took a picture of it!

Attachments

• MotorMountWrench.JPG
    MotorMountWrench.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 423
A 24" extension on an impact driver using a flex/universal joint socket is how I do it. Totally a pain any other way :rolleyes:

Jeff A said:
Yes, the nut has a tab that locks it in place. You can't turn the nut. You have to turn the bolt (below the radiator overflow tank). Here's a wrench solution that worked for me - although I would have rather used a small but very powerful pneumatic impact wrench. It took me so long to figure this out that I took a picture of it!

Bahahahah...ghetto! (effective I'm sure, just looks ghetto as hell!) :biggrin:

Ghetto tools! :tongue: That's amusing. Yeah, it was a hack, but it worked, plus it was late at night - stores were closed, and my little homeowners air compressor wasn't capable of pushing a powerful air impact wrench. One has to make do...

Bahahahah...ghetto! (effective I'm sure, just looks ghetto as hell!)

Actually, You might be surprised how not so ghetto this method really is. I work on the F15-E model jets here in the Air Force and for many hard areas to get to we have to improvise and that method right there is very common when changing some of our hydraulic systems and secondary power components. You would think the engineers would have made it easier for all of us. :smile:

Hey "JEFF A" you want a job? hehe... :smile:

JeffA,

Make no excuses:). You did the work and it is done. The main thing is you "Walk the Walk", not just "Talk the Talk".

Congrats on all your projects, nice install in NSXDriver too on the suspension:).

The other day, a tool(pickle fork) I use to remove bad front tie rod ends was termed "caveman", also amusing. It takes two smacks of a hammer to get them off with this tool versus a few minutes of jerking around with a puller you have to buy for $50-$100. (I have the puller, don't use it)

Sometimes cavemen in the ghetto work best LOL............................

For the record, I am with Dave on this one, impact gun for this bolt is a breeze:):)

Regards,
LarryB

Oh, did that article make it? Haven't received mine yet. I've submitted 3 other DIY articles as well, hopefully those will appear in future issues..

Thanks for your kind words.

Jeff

Jeff,

The NSXDriver issue is in the mail, you should see it any day. The Trailer Hitch article is planned for the next issue, and is in layout for June.

Stay Well,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Jeff,

The NSXDriver issue is in the mail, you should see it any day. The Trailer Hitch article is planned for the next issue, and is in layout for June.
Trailer hitch? I am putting one on my car this weekend, would love to see pics!

Could you start a new thread with them?

Thanks,
Dave

I would like to, however the NSX Driver editorial staff made it very clear that they do not publish previously released content. If I post it here, they won't want it. I can understand it, who wants to read old news? So I agreed not to release it elsewhere until they publish it. I didn't realize that would be almost a year later however...

There are a few threads already discussing it here, here's a link to one:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40071

What hitch are you planning on using?

Jeff

I am going to make the hitch, idea is to mount with out having to cut any body parts or chassis. Maybe use a hinged license plate bracket for the center attachment point cover, you tip up the plate like 70's Chevy gas tank filler to plug the hitch in :rolleyes: Still a work in progress...will post pics when done.

Back