• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LoveFab produces 433whp with AEM FIC piggyback unit

Hey guys!

We are hot off the dyno with a customer's factory 2002 NSX with a little over 5700 miles. Everything connected to the factory computer was retained, from the post-cat 02 sensors, to the airpump setup. The car runs FLAWLESSLY with no check engine lights, and drives just like a factory-tuned Honda, except with gobs of power.

MikeLang433hpDyno.JPG

The turbo setup is from my personal car that made 771whp, so we were trying to keep power tame enough for the stock engine by running with a VERY conservative tune. I think we have succeeded, though the customer is choosing to run some high octane fuel for that extra safety "buffer".

Due to some tow-vehicle problems, the car had to be driven 150 miles each way to and from the dyno. As I previously stated, the car is absolutely flawless in every way, from power production to driveability.

I just thought I would share that AEM's new FIC Piggyback controller is working BEAUTIFULLY for the NSX application!

Last edited:
Dave, the new AEM FIC is a piggy back that will control fuel AND timing. It does almost everything that we need it to without having to mess around with things that we dont want.

It is an amazing development it seems.

Dave, the new AEM FIC is a piggy back that will control fuel AND timing. It does almost everything that we need it to without having to mess around with things that we dont want.

It is an amazing development it seems.

So you retain the Stock ECU and have no need for the AEM full unit? what about tuning?

So you retain the Stock ECU and have no need for the AEM full unit? what about tuning?

Correct.

What about tuning? It is a unit which enables you to tune the car much like a stand alone, but it doesn't require the replacement of the stock ECU(and costs under $500 for the unit itself, but needs wiring, or a harness of some sort)

BTW, Cody, that torque curve is beautiful.

Cody you tease, Post how much PSI you were running. You said this is the kit off your car? So that is a GT42/94R? The .95 A/R? So then to make 433 you were running......I would guess 7-8 PSI?

J. R.

The boost line is present on the dyno graph. Hits 9.7psi then settles to around 8psi by redline. Wastegate spring only as the turbo is nearly the low-end surge limit and I didn't feel the need to make MORE power on a stock engine by turning up the boost. I certainly could have run more boost, but that would be irresponsible in my eyes.

The customer will probably build later on, but for now I think he will be very pleased with the outcome.

Thanks for the torque curve praise Momin!!! The dyno operator jokes that he could "sign his signature" on the power graphs produced by almost every car I bring there.

Correct.

What about tuning? It is a unit which enables you to tune the car much like a stand alone, but it doesn't require the replacement of the stock ECU(and costs under $500 for the unit itself, but needs wiring, or a harness of some sort)

BTW, Cody, that torque curve is beautiful.

:eek: Only in my dreams. I cant wait. Where can I buy this product like yesterday. My turbo project has been waiting on spare cash for the stand alone. This will almost complete my setup.

This looks great, and it's nice to see another successful implementation of the F/IC. I just had the F/IC installed in my '91...will pick up the car tomorrow. I had a detonation problem with my high-boost CTSC...problem solved. will post more later in a separate thread.

Question: do you have the A/F graph available? Also... did you have to pull a lot of timing?

thanks,
--bruce

What is that? Do you no longer use the one Mike made for OBD2?

LOL... Dave, didn't you sell your NSX? what are you doing here with a C6 picture in your avatar asking about the FIC? you got somethin' up yer sleeve?

433RWHP, is a STRONG number on a mustang dyno* Great achievement guys. This was a pump gas, no meth inj, street setting correct? :)

2/3 tank of pump gas, 5 gallons of Sunoco 100, which technically is a pump gas(in some locations). I wanted the extra safety buffer because the NSX was our only ride back to the broken-down tow rig. I do believe the car can be daily driven reliably with 93 octane fuel because of the conservative tune. However, the customer has chosen to run Sunoco 100 so he doesn't have to worry about any possible issues with pushing the stock motor this hard.

2/3 tank of pump gas, 5 gallons of Sunoco 100, which technically is a pump gas(in some locations). I wanted the extra safety buffer because the NSX was our only ride back to the broken-down tow rig. I do believe the car can be daily driven reliably with 93 octane fuel because of the conservative tune. However, the customer has chosen to run Sunoco 100 so he doesn't have to worry about any possible issues with pushing the stock motor this hard.

california 91 is the "ultimate" in pump gas.

try making power on this sucker :tongue:

congrats on the number. if you dont have $ to burn, try running 91 and 100% meth. its race gas on demand and you only use it when you hit your target psi. tuning for the kick over point and mixed fuel ignition timing is a little tricky but the end result is very very effective.

Everyone keeps talking about how great the AEM FIC works in terms of keeping reliability and this is great news, but I would also like to know if it helps produce more HP as well? I know the full stand alone AEM system will give you better reliability and more HP. Will this unit do the same?

Everyone keeps talking about how great he AEM FIC works in terms of keeping reliability and this is great news, but I would also like to know if it helps produce more HP as well? I know the full stand alone AEM system will give you better reliability and more HP. Will this unit do the same?

Yes, it is a tuning tool. You are able to fine tune and keep your car safe/make more power.

However, I have not played with it so do not know all the options there are in regards to safety(compared to the full stand alone). Meaning what options there are in regards to pulling timing for different reasons or adding fuel for different reason, cutting spark or fuel etc.. Maybe some of the guys who have played with it can chime in on that stuff.

Last edited:
like the above post, i would definitly like to see more feedback from people who have tweaked with it.

The FIC has no "boost cut" feature like the AEM EMS. So you'd better have a turbo setup that doesn't suffer from boost creep!

Simply put, there is no IAT compensation table built into the FIC software. You'll have to build that safety factor into the timing table.

However, since the factory computer already adjust's timing based on IAT's and since the FIC modifies the factory signals, timing is adjusted proportionately. You'll want to log running conditions prior to the FIC installation to confirm running conditions, especially if using a CTSC where IAT's are significantly warmer than NA. On the contrary, our turbo setups have always shown significantly colder IAT's than NA, so we are able to use more timing while maintaining adequate safety levels.

The FIC has no "boost cut" feature like the AEM EMS. So you'd better have a turbo setup that doesn't suffer from boost creep!

Simply put, there is no IAT compensation table built into the FIC software. You'll have to build that safety factor into the timing table.

However, since the factory computer already adjust's timing based on IAT's and since the FIC modifies the factory signals, timing is adjusted proportionately. You'll want to log running conditions prior to the FIC installation to confirm running conditions, especially if using a CTSC where IAT's are significantly warmer than NA. On the contrary, our turbo setups have always shown significantly colder IAT's than NA, so we are able to use more timing while maintaining adequate safety levels.

yeek... no iat compensation? :confused:

wow for all the boost comp guys, ie me included, its going to be heck of a sell.

how do you guys log stock ecu changes over time? im always interested in a more cost effective solution but if it does not have vital controls such as iat compensation and just leave it up to the stock computer to figure it out it sends chills down my back.

my main concern was what the stock ecu was going to do but now with the lack of iat control, it looks like a deal breaker.

btw your cars are showing cooler iats then na.... how many lbs are you guys pushing and what intercooler setup? whats the secret.

my iats go off the charts when i start making boost and need meth to keep the madness in check... but im running 29psi and on a crappy intercooler so probably a different story.

I heard through the grapevine that my statement above was taken wrong.

The stock computer IS STILL COMPENSATING based on IATs and any other number of parameters. I meant to say that the FIC has no seperate "IAT compensation table" built into the software. There is no significant reason to because the factory computer already takes care of this.

Looking back, I now realize my IAT statement comparing NA vs. turbo IAT's is slightly flawed. The reason? The IAT sensor for the car in question was placed post intercooler and pre-intake manifold. NA IAT's are sampled from the intake manifold that is usually slightly heat-soaked, which will read slightly higher than an IAT sensor placed in the charge piping. Sorry for the confusion there! I had simply forgotten that the IAT sensor was placed in the charge piping.

However, our IAT's are still kept in check amazingly well. At 24psi, we were only seeing 120 degrees in an 80 degree ambient dyno cell. One time last spring, it was 32 degrees ambient and we were seeing IATs around 40 degrees. Pretty efficient either way you look at it!

wow nice iat readings.

where is the intercooler location.

i understand the stock ecu is still adjusting for iat.

anyone have some soild numbers/info as to what kind of iat adjustment we are looking for?

when we running serious boost with serious cars, i dont want to leave anything up to guess work. also we are not paid to guess, we are paid to know :confused:

The only way to test how heavily the factory computer compensates would be to use an OBD2 scan tool and inspect timing curves under WOT when the car is relatively cold(street driving), and when the car is being flogged at WOT(hot lapping). Please do this in a controlled environment for yours and others' safety.

Back