• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Luxury + reliability

Anyone here drive a Audi Q5? I'm thinking of getting a Q5 or lexus RX.

my gut is telling me to get the RX since ever since Ive loved Japanese car.

But then I also like the Audi Q5 but I have not experience them before in terms of reliability.

Follow your gut instict, those lexus products are bullet proof as well as great resellers. Audi Q5 is fairly new but after warranty is up you will most likely regret it.

Audi:
I worked at a vw/audi dealership before, and all i can tell you is that the Q5 is far better of a car than the RX!! Compared to the RX, the Q5 feels more livelier - the steering feel is way better, both the pedal feel is supurbly better, and the engine response is respectable.

if you want a sportier ride, go for the 2.0t Q5, not only is it cheaper, it does better on gas and you'd be surprise how hard it actually pulls. want a little more power? chip it and it can easily go up 50hp or so, since it adds boost to the turbo, if you dont step on it, it will not disturb your gas mileage at all.

3.2 feels more comfortable, offers a smoother ride, but it doesnt match up to the sporty feel of the 2.0t

HOWEVER, the cons with the audi is reliability. Yes, they're well made, fit and finish is supurb (matching that of bmw/benz if not better), material top notch. BUT it is not at all the most reliable car you can get. random stuff goes wrong with these cars that are unforseen. [from what i've seen in the dealership, new cars can come back time after time fixing the SAME unexplainable problems]. THAT being said, some audi owners never experience any problem whatsoever. In fact, when compared to previous models of vw/audi, their reliablility has largely improved, but still could not be compared with that of the japanese. at the end of the day, buying an audi is like playing russian roulette, if you're not lucky, be prepared to spend countless visits to the shop.

(keep this in mind though, most european cars ARE like this, whether its bmw or the merc, jaguar, ferrari, lambo, you name it~ its just that people who owns those complaints less about it because they are a more premium brand >=] )

Lexus:
I have also have a chance to drive the RX, although the steering/pedal feel is basically lifeless, the engine does pull quite hard!!! there is no time on the drive that you'll feel you don't have enuf beef from the engine!

the RX also offers MORE space for all the passengers and WAY more luggage space (the Q5 has SOOOO little space you'd get more out of any sedan [excluding compact ones]) so overall it is a more comfy car (at least for the passengers).

Lexus is always rated the best in reliability. i have a 97 es300 in the family with approx 200k miles (ALL city driving [worse for cars]) and never had a problem with it.

So if you don't mind sacraficing the driving experience for comfort, the RX is better of the two. Sure, the light gas pedal takes a couple days to get use to, it has a more plastic'ky interior and the design that couldnt match audi, and that it actually does quite poorly on gas mileage, and to top it off the base price is $4000 more for AWD where as the Audi comes standard.

IF i have the choice, i'll be bias and pick the Audi, it has better styling (subjective), better handling, high quality interior, better driving dynamics all round. but reliability is the trade off.

however, it does make sense to go with the RX because it serves its purpose better. a family vehicle that is both more reliable, spacious, relatively cheaper to repair (if anything does go wrong), and most of all, outstanding comfort for all passengers. afterall, if you want to go sporty, SUV isnt really the ride you should get - just jump on the NSX ;)

try both of them out, in a way, the are both SUVs, however, they are completely different cars. choose the one that suits your lifestyle more

Have you tried the Acura MDX?

2010 JD Power Initial Quality rankings has Acura in second place behind only Porsche in terms of fewest problems. Better than Audi or Lexus as far as brands are concerned.

Have you tried the Acura MDX?

2010 JD Power Initial Quality rankings has Acura in second place behind only Porsche in terms of fewest problems. Better than Audi or Lexus as far as brands are concerned.

+1:smile:

Audi Q5 for sure. RX is one ugly SUV I have see so far from day 1...just my opinion. MDX is much better option. Infiniti is nice too.

Last edited:
Depends on what's important to you. I bought the RX for the wife and she loves it. If styling and interior fit and finish is your thing than the Audi can't be beat. If resale, reliability and comfort are your must haves then the Lexus has it. The RX was Lexus's best seller and there are many good certified pre-owned out there to choose from and Lexus offers good waranties with them.
Happy Motoring!

The reliability for sure is important, I know they all have loaner if ever car broke under waranty but I just dont have time to make an appointment always.

Its for wifey anyways, I gave her a list to choose, Audi, Acura MDX, LExus, even Honda CRV lol. Her choice is always Lexus RX Pearl color, weird thing is... almost every female I see here in Palm beach that drives lexus RX, same color same everything! lol

She dont even care about the specs. "tsk"

Last edited:
Id go with the Lexus. My wife drives a 5 year old Highlander (which is basically the same thing) and its been a great car.

While I would LOVE the Audi, I would be scared to death out of warranty. Thats after owning several Audis.

I've owned two Lexus (still own ES330 for wife - my GS300 was hit by some 16 year-old girl in an out-of-control pos car on the interstate :mad: ). Both have been excellent and completely trouble-free. When looking at the RX to replace my GS, I found I liked the interior of the new Highlander better. Pretty much the same car. I got the Limited edition and love it. It has also been completely trouble-free.

On the other hand, a friend of mine recently got rid of his Audi (older model) and it nearly broke him financially with repairs. It did have about 100k on the odo.

Don't think you can go wrong with the Lexus / Toyota brand. Good luck, Jay

German cars will have more repairs than a Lexus/Toyota. Older Audis are asking for trouble. Newer audis, 2005+, are good cars. Go Lexus if reliability is most important.

Go to WWW.Edmunds.com and look up the cars you are interested in. They have a total cost of ownership table for each car. It will give you a comparative cost of ownership over five years and show you what to expect for repair costs. There you will see that an Audi costs more to repair, but it wont "bankrupt" you like people seem to say.

Last edited:
How old are you/wife? Personally - I can't stand the RX. The typical people I see driving it are 50+ year old grandmas. Have you ever driven one - it is dull, boring, floaty sterile crap(no offense to other RX owners on this thread). I realize you are buying it for your wife so vehicle dynamics might not be THAT important. But seriously - why would put your beloved wife and kids in something lame.

If you can afford and need to tow then get the MDX or the new VW Touraeg. Otherwise(if not towing) get the Q5 with an 10/100K extended warranty. For some odd reason VW reliability is superior to Audi reliability. The Touraeg is basically a Porsche Cayenne. It is has a very nice interior and has Porsche build quality.

Either way - Good Luck.

Audi has come a long way in reliability. They are not as expensive to repair as you may think.

Audi got a bad rap years ago. Things have changed. But most of advertising still play this card to get you to sway your opinion. I believe most people that say Audi makes unreliable cars have never owned one. Or just hear the horror stories that come with any make, regardless of its origin.

My vote is for the Q5 2.0t but who cares what I think. You have to live with it.

If your wife wants a white RX, get the RX.

Last edited:
I've got the RS6, and it is truly an incredible vehicle. The fit/finish are top notch, as is styling and comfort as well as handling. Power is... prodigious.. especially after the chip/exhaust/intake injection system went in.

Downside... shitloads of repairs early on.. The warranty company ate about $15,000 in repairs before 30,000 miles. If i had not purchased the ext warranty, I would have fainted.

Would i repeat the scenario? You bet. Without warranty? Hmm... probably not...

having said that.. the car is at 61000 miles, and not a single issue beyond the 30k mile issues... it's been a couple years since i had to go in for anything beyond routine wear issues.

Had the 2011 Rx 350 for a year. Fit and finish cannot be compared to Audi.
Ride was so boaty, we got rid of it. To me the RX was an appliance.
Trade it in for an MDX, have had it for 7 months. Not too crazy about it.
Looking to jump into BMW 550 Gt today if everything looks good.

Back