• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Malaysia Airlines MH370

The Marians Trench which is just east of Guam is the deepest part of the ocean on earth. 36,000' +. Recovery there would be impossible. If they continued and turned right instead of left they would have headed that way.

I have read "theories" that the CA took the plane up to 45,000 to knock the people out. But the service ceiling of a 777-200ER is only 43,000 and that would only be if the air was very cold and lightly loaded with minimum fuel. That was not the case, they had 6+ hours of fuel on board and a full load of people and cargo, the plane probably would have struggled to even get to 40,000 feet if it could even do it. Our service ceiling was 41,000 in the CRJ and I could only do it on ferry flights with no passengers, during the winter and only after burning most of the fuel. On a long trip, we could step climb from 36,000 to 38,000 and then after about 4 hrs of burning fuel get up to 41,000 - and that's cold air and an empty plane.

Yes I heard the same about the 40+ foot thing. At what altitude could the passengers be knocked out? With the no o2 wouldn't 35-37k work?

I also heard, just once on cnn I believe and I never heard it again, a friend of the pilot believed the pilot took the plane to do tricks and stunts that he had practiced on his simulator. This is why I posted what I did a few posts back.

I doubt the pilots did this on purpose. For what reason? Without leaving some kind of message behind to make a political or religious statement what would be the point? If they wanted to cause mass human destruction they could have crashed it into a populated area for more impact. I'm thinking mechanical failure. I believe they'll find it and hopefully the data recorders will shed some light.

Yes I heard the same about the 40+ foot thing. At what altitude could the passengers be knocked out? With the no o2 wouldn't 35-37k work?

Yes. 30k feet would cause people without 02 to pass out and then die within a few minutes. Here are the official requirements.

Code of Federal Regulations

Sec. 91.211

Part 91 GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES​
Subpart C--Equipment, Instrument, and Certificate Requirements

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sec. 91.211

Supplemental oxygen.

(a) General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry--
(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;
(2) At cabin pressure altitudes above 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen during the entire flight time at those altitudes; and
(3) At cabin pressure altitudes above 15,000 feet (MSL) unless each occupant of the aircraft is provided with supplemental oxygen.
(b) Pressurized cabin aircraft.
(1) No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry with a pressurized cabin--
(i) At flight altitudes above flight level 250 unless at least a 10-minute supply of supplemental oxygen, in addition to any oxygen required to satisfy paragraph (a) of this section, is available for each occupant of the aircraft for use in the event that a descent is necessitated by loss of cabin
pressurization; and
(ii) At flight altitudes above flight level 350 unless one pilot at the controls of the airplane is wearing and using an oxygen mask that is secured and sealed and that either supplies oxygen at all times or automatically supplies oxygen whenever the cabin pressure altitude of the airplane exceeds 14,000 feet (MSL), except that the one pilot need not wear and use an oxygen mask while at or below flight level 410 if there are two pilots at the controls and each pilot has a quick-donning type of oxygen mask that can be placed on the face with one hand from the ready position within 5 seconds, supplying oxygen and properly secured and sealed.
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (b)(1)(ii) of this section, if for any reason at any time it is necessary for one pilot to leave the controls of the aircraft when operating at flight altitudes above flight level 350, the remaining pilot at the controls shall put on and use an oxygen mask until the
other pilot has returned to that crewmember's station.

I also heard, just once on cnn I believe and I never heard it again, a friend of the pilot believed the pilot took the plane to do tricks and stunts that he had practiced on his simulator. This is why I posted what I did a few posts back.

That's pure BS. We train in a level D simulator (not the little one he had at home) and when there is extra time, they sometimes let us do whatever we want.... flying under bridges, double engine failures, etc., etc. I don't know a pilot in existence that would do "stunts" in a real commercial airliner even given the opportunity. The Sim is so realistic that if we wanted to do it, we could do it there with zero risk. And to be honest, it's not that big of a thrill.

This was the exception.... but jets were new.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AaA7kPfC5Hk?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Last edited:
In my combined 40 years of military/commercial aviation nothing no longer surprises me. The history of aviation mishaps is wrought with the mysterious and unbelievable. Since MH370's disappearance every major news network has found their aviation expert, pontificating their views on what happened the last few hours of the flight. The only truths, the flight departed as scheduled, all communications were terminated shortly thereafter and the flight deviated its intended flight path. Everything else is pretty much conjecture at this point.

Last edited:
Malaysian air force shot it down............woops

i agree. it is the most logical explanation. and that poor fellow from Australia saw it, and now he is in a world of hurt, even though he only reported it to superiors.

http://www.news.com.au/world/oil-ri...urst-into-flames/story-fndir2ev-1226853302184

IN what could be the last chilling sighting of missing Flight MH370, an oil rig worker believes he spotted the Malaysia Airlines jetliner burst into flames on Saturday morning.
New Zealander Mike McKay, who is working on a rig operating in the Gulf of Thailand, was so certain he saw the ill-fated flight on fire that he emailed his employers, urging them to pass the information onto authorities.
“Gentlemen. I believe I saw the Malaysian Airlines flight come down. The timing is right,” he wrote.
READ MORE: SUSPECTED CRASH SITE FOUND
“I tried to contact Malaysian and Vietnamese officials days ago. But I do not know if the message has been received.
“I am on the oil ring Songa-Mercur off the coast of Vung Tau.
“The surface location of the observation is Lat 08 22’ 30.20” N Lat 108 42.22.26” E.
“I observed (the plane?) burning at high altitude at a compass bearing of 265* to 275*”
Mr McKay is working on the oil rig Songa Mercur off Vung Tau, on the south east coast of Vietnam. This would put the plane in the same general area where a Chinese satellite has spotted a suspected crash sit

Last edited:
Back