• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

may sell for a viper....not sure

Well my wife is giving me an ultimatum..

I can keep my 91 bbsc nsx and put on an aem and 8 psi pulley for 400 rwhp and a fresh paint job....Notice I said "keep"..Because if I do these two new mods I ave to keep her..

Or...I can do nnthing and put her for sale and then get a supercharged 2006 viper coupe or a stock 2008 Viper...

I love my nsx very much and the aem/pully and paint job would be finishing my baby..

But I saw my first SRT10 viper coupe a week ago and Im in love with the styling..BUT..Ive had two Vipers before and theyarent as fun to drive as the nsx..

Im just very confused..I love seeing the nsx engine and bbsc supercharger through the rear glass of my nsx...I love the low roof line and exotic looks of the car..But I hate having a 91 anything..And wish I could have found somthing in the 2000's locally..

With the Viper Ill be getting a newer 2006 or 2008 ride...With a 650 rwhp supercharged engine in the 2006 or a stock na 540 rwhp engine in the 2008...These both make my 400 rwhp goal in the nsx seem a lil limp wristed.

But on the other hand the 91 nsx is the origional nsx and they dont make them any more and their are no plans to make them any more..How long till a 1991 nsx is worth 40k????Or more..Im thinking within 5 years..

On the other hand Vipers are going down in value left anbd right...A 2006 viper coupe for only 50K??? Ive found quite a few...But 2009 or 2010 the Viper may die and then a viper srt10 coupe will be an EXTREMELY rare car....

Anyways...Im lost on this one...They both have their greats and negatives...Wish I could afford both but Im not at that point in my life yet

It seems that with your history you should just stay with a less powerful car.:wink: Be happy with what you have and enjoy life...thats my motto.:smile:

But 2009 or 2010 the Viper may die and then a viper srt10 coupe will be an EXTREMELY rare car....

You're kidding, right? Dodge made over 25,000 Vipers during it's run.

There were a total of 8,949 NSXs made of which 1/2 of them were 1991-92s. From 1998+ less than 300 a year were made.

Honestly, I think you would be much happier with a Viper. After driving a NSX if you are still even thinking about a Viper then you have your answer. I think the Viper is the obnoxious ex-girlfriend with the big hair and big boobs that you just can't seem to get over. :tongue: I had use of a Viper GTS for the day at the track. If someone gave it to me, I would put it up for sale the next day. It was fun to barrow for the day, but I wouldn't care to own it.

I don't think your 91 NSX will appreciate in value. I think it will hold it's value but that's about it.

Last edited:
Keep the frog pond!!!

Ask your insurance company which car they'd rather you own. :wink:
It sounds like you should be getting a newer NSX instead of a viper, if you switch cars at all.

Personally I don't mind owning a 91.. only people that know these cars have any idea it is that old.

I'm also not one of those people that has to change cars every 2 years. I'm glad I don't have that disease. :D

I've always liked the Viper GTS and the deals on them sure make it tempting. However, since I don't sell my cars I don't face the "do I get rid of this, for this" dilemma. I simply park them and get another. I'm up to 10 now. I find there are different things to appreciate about each of them. I almost pulled the trigger on a beautiful low mileage car near me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0312570376&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

But then I watched this video and what happens at 6:30 makes me think again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3VErCJxPbA

I still like it though. Just not sure if there aren't other cars I would want more.

Last edited:
Yes their have been 25,000 vipers produced from 1992-2009..

But a good 10,000 of those were the rt10's..I had a 99 rt10..It was a kool ride..But far away from a srt10 coupe...

They made the rt10's from 1992-2002 in 400-450 hp models..Again a good 9,000

Then from 1996-2002 they made the gts Viper..All in 450-460 hp ( 460 hp was for the acr) They made around 5000 of these..Also a very rare car but the interior and engine lay out as well as build just cant touch the SRT10 coupe

So now their are only 11K Vipers left to acount for..

The srt10 vert wich is also a VERY nice ride in just about every way has everything the SRT10 coupe has minus the better body desighn...They made 2000 SRT10 verts a year from 2003-2006 acounting for another 8000 Vipers...

Then in 2006 the srt10 coupe was produced. They made 1000 of these meaning that their are only 2000 Vipers left to acount for..

their were no Vipers made in 2007 and in 2008 the 600 HP srt10 vert and srt10 coupe roleed out. Their was 1000 made of each..

So yes while their have been 25000 Vipers produced. It is totally differant from the 20,000 nsx's that have been produced..

A 1991 honda nsx from Japan looks 98% identical to a 1999 acura nsx sold for america..And that 1999 acura nsx looks 92% identical to a 2005 Honda sx sold in Japan...

With Vipers ..

-rt10
-gts
-srt10 vert
-srt10 coupe

are all pretty much differant cars and the SRT10 coupe with only 2000K produced in the world right now will be VERY rare if production ends in 2009 as rumored
-

So yes while their have been 25000 Vipers produced. It is totally differant from the 20,000 nsx's that have been produced..

Ah... cut that number in 1/2 for all NSXs produced - and the number of NA2 02+ is 862.

The only reason a Viper (any Viper) will be rare in the future is because it hasn't been crashed or it's still running. As a HPDE instructor, we all cringe when a Viper shows up for a track day because chances are he is going off track and hopefully doesn't take anyone else with him. Is it the cars or the driver's ego? Probably a little bit of the former and ALOT of the latter. :cool:

Snakey... we all know that you are still in love with the Viper (you have a Viper screen name on a NSX website)! So you know what you have to do. :)

Neither a Viper, NSX or Z06 will appreciate in value. The Viper and the Z06 will continue to depreciate and your NSX has probably hit the bottom of it's depreciation scale ala 993 Porsche. It all comes down to what get's your rocks off.

Last edited:
christ, the guy obviously wants a viper- SO go buy one and quit convincing us of your choices.

Let's see? You've had 2 Vipers and wrecked both. Could you explain the circumstances of these accidents? That would be a deciding factor for me. The third time's the charm - if you live a charmed life!

The funny thing about this story is that the first Viper and NSX i ever saw were owned by the same guy. He bought an NSX and then 2 years later traded it in on a new Viper, then 6 months later traded the Viper for a new NSX. Then he traded into a Ferrari about 3 years after that and then i lost touch with him.

I sometimes wonder what he is driving today? I can bet its not another Viper because he had nothing but awful things to say about that car and he could afford to drive anything he wanted to.:wink:

To each their own though and it sounds like to me you really want another Viper. We'll probably see you a few years from now hunting for another NSX. So I say go ahead and buy the Viper now and get it out of your system. You will lose a fortune with this mistake but sometimes the best lessons are the most expensive ones to learn.

Btw, imo all Vipers look the same. They are the Dodge Corvettes without the storied heritage. Sure the GTSRTV10 whatever might be the ZR1Z06 of Vipers but only you and a few other dudes will ever notice the difference. Most people will just see a regular old Viper and figure your losing your hair and substituting it with engine displacement.:biggrin:

The thing i love about my 91 NSX is that no one believes me when i tell them its a 1991. They always think it is newer because of how few they have ever seen and the timeless mid engine design. Lets see how many people don't just assume your brand new Viper isn't 10 years old already the first time it gets some dirt on it.:tongue:

Personally I don't mind owning a 91.. only people that know these cars have any idea it is that old.

That's because it's such an awesome '91. :)

I took my car out for a 15min spin today with the roof off. Got loads of compliments and had a guy at the gas station ask me, "What kind of Honda is that??? Is it new?? I've never seen one before....".

Lol...it was fun telling him they've been out since '91 and they stopped making them 4 years ago. :)

That's because it's such an awesome '91. :)

That is true. The previous owner was crazy and spent a ton of money on upgrades. :biggrin:

There were some guys doing construction on my building the other morning and he asked if he could take a picture of my car for his son.

I've put about 600 miles or so on it already.

Took mine out today and after the guy got over the shock that it was an Acura/Honda, since the doors were closed (I was at the gas station tanking it up), he asked me if the doors "go up". He was disappointed when I showed him that they opened in the conventional fashion! Get the Viper, you know that's what you really want to do. If you get tired of it, you can replace it, all it is, is money. It's your dime, get what you want!

You're kidding, right? Dodge made over 25,000 Vipers during it's run.

There were a total of 8,949 NSXs made of which 1/2 of them were 1991-92s. From 1998+ less than 300 a year were made.

Honestly, I think you would be much happier with a Viper. After driving a NSX if you are still even thinking about a Viper then you have your answer. I think the Viper is the obnoxious ex-girlfriend with the big hair and big boobs that you just can't seem to get over. :tongue: I had use of a Viper GTS for the day at the track. If someone gave it to me, I would put it up for sale the next day. It was fun to barrow for the day, but I wouldn't care to own it.

I don't think your 91 NSX will appreciate in value. I think it will hold it's value but that's about it.

Yep, Viper is like that ex-GF w/ the big boobs...good to just borrow for the day but not good for long term. She then ends up being a wreck like the other 2 Vipers.

Last edited:
I like the Viper, don't think that there would be serious appreciation of the car but it would probably be fun to own and drive. I didn't think much of the early cars, not alot of fun to drive in anything but a straight line but the new car seems to be pretty good from what I hear. You can always sell the NSX, buy the viper and later, sell the the viper and get another NSX. It's only a car and face it, this is supposed to be fun.

If you want the Viper, and it seems like you do, then get it.

What's the harm? To each his own.

Back