• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Mclaren considering Honda engines to replace Mercedes for F1 program

The problem is, Honda haven't made any commitment yet. Also, the new engine rule is completely different than the one from 30 years ago; the old experience will not applicable to the new rules.

The problem is, Honda haven't made any commitment yet. Also, the new engine rule is completely different than the one from 30 years ago; the old experience will not applicable to the new rules.

Honda made an announcement a few months back about wanting to return to F1. Who knows, maybe the HPD department already has an engine package in the works. Either way, it would be nice to see.

You are correct. Honda has openly admitted that they do not have the budget nor ambition to reenter F1 as a stand alone manufacturer, but have also openly stated that they might return as an engine supplier. This marriage actually makes a LOT of sense for both parties involved and, if true, is somewhat serendipitous. For a casual F1 fan such as myself, and as an old (and disenchanted) "Honda Fanboy", this would reinvigorate my interest in the sport from that perspective.

Honda made an announcement a few months back about wanting to return to F1. Who knows, maybe the HPD department already has an engine package in the works. Either way, it would be nice to see.

I cannot either confirm or deny anything I saw at the HPD behind the scenes tour :redface:

That would be a huge "boost" to Honda on their re-entry into the sports car market if that happens... right about the time the new NSX comes out. (fingers crossed)

Back