• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Modifications You Regret Making

Smoothaccel said:
be number one for sorry mods for me. In short, it is definetely not for street driving. It will be perfect for you if all you do is toe your car to the drag racing track and run the 1/4 mile. I will save the details

I will agree. I drove a friends at nsxpo 2002 and it was AWFUL. He actually sold it and went back to stock within a few months.

I concur as well. The Exedy clutch was the absolute worst mod I ever had done. I hated my car and seeing as how it is my daily driver, the pedal was so stiff that I pulled the muscle on my left foot a few times from driving too long in traffic. I was in heaven when it finally got switched out for a Centerforce.

Lazarus said:
I have these great big Brembo brakes on the front of my car, and while they look good and offer tremendous stopping power, I'm a little frustrated by the way they restrict the choices that are available to me when it comes time to buy a new set of wheels (which is now). To be honest, the stock brakes really aren't bad at all, and I'm not sure how much of that decision to "upgrade" to Brembos was motivated by vanity rather than by the assurance of actual improvements in braking performance.

I wonder if anybody else out there may have regrets about certain changes they've done to their car over time, and what they did about it in the end.

I feel some what the same way when I decided to get the Stoptech BBK. But I'm sure when spring time rolls around I will be grinning in a big way. I was only able to drive the car a few miles since the install because of snow already. I do agree your Rim selection is limited and I might even get those Advan Model 5s in you Avatar.

bad mods

rm clutch...

does not last long. previous owner did this.

ahhh... that intake from the top looks like it could suck more water down in the intake since we have gravity and wind helping and then the intake is wide open rigt under the scoop.

Steven> Actually, I don't really like the Model 5 wheels all that much. I just pulled that picture off the net because it looks nice. :D I don't know why, but the Model 5s look so....so....so Skyline GT-R (for lack of a better description). But I DO have Model 7s on my actual car, and they are in fact one of the few sets of wheels that do fit with those aftermarket calipers in place.

*sigh*

tucsonsx said:
It took me 30 years, but I finally found the cure for Modificationitis. What you do is modify a street car ( race cars don't count - being lowered down in the pine box is the only cure for Metastic Racinoma ) so heavily that it is virtually impossible to drive. At the very least you want to get to the point where you are never sure when you leave if you will arrive at your destination. The ultimate of course is a car that you have to register in a far off state because it can never pass any inspection in your own state.

After you sell this car be sure to perform this calculation:

Money From the Sale

- Money Spent on the Car ( your labor is valued @ zero )

Large Negative Number

At any sign of the old urges perform the calculation again !!!:D

I've got to agree with this. Modifications mean absolutely nothing when it comes time to sell your car (if in fact this unfortunate scenario should ever actually take place, that is...), but you've already spent a proverbial fortune on your pride and joy. Worst thing is that some of those mods you've made could well be what the prospective buyer uses against you in the bargaining process. :(

nsxtasy said:
It's not the quality of the leather; the quality is actually top-notch. Unfortunately, they decided to apply a sealer to it, which (among other effects) prevents the natural fragrance of the leather from emanating. I have heard that the natural smell of leather is considered unpleasant to the Japanese. That's unfortunate, because to me, it is part of the luxury car experience. Step inside a Lexus, and it smells like a shoe store. Mmmmm...

I knew you were just joshing me. ;)

Isn't that what this topic was supposed to be about?

nsxtasy> Hmmm...I don't know, the leather on my first NSX was pretty mediocre. It was a '91. Perhaps Honda made improvements in this regard in subsequent model years. Anyhow, it's all academic since the leather in my current car is indeed holding up very well and shows no signs of wear and tear.

But speaking of seats, has anybody who "upgraded" to Recaros or Sparcos (etc.) regretted that change? I mean, for street use, the stock seats would seem to be quite up to the task, and in fact, I can't remember another sports car with better seats than the NSX's, in spite of its relatively few modes of adjustment.

Yes, the Exedy clutch isn't for everyone. The clutch effort isn't that bad but the small engagement point makes every start seem like a drag race.

I don't think I regret any mods but I was disappointed with the short gears and 4.23 final drive.

Lazarus said:
But speaking of seats, has anybody who "upgraded" to Recaros or Sparcos (etc.) regretted that change? I mean, for street use, the stock seats would seem to be quite up to the task, and in fact, I can't remember another sports car with better seats than the NSX's, in spite of its relatively few modes of adjustment.

As you've stated, the stock seats are fine for street driving and in comparision with other sport cars they're the best around. But around the track, the seats will not hold you in like a Sparco Evo or a Recaro SPG. And those models mentioned are fine for regular driving as well - as long as your waist is 36 or below. I've actually bruised the outside of both knees by trying to keep myself in the stock seat.

As long as I'm strapped into the stockers with a 5 point they are adequate for hpde not racing though.

But guys, I'm just wondering how much track time do you have to put in in order to justify getting a Recaro or a Sparco. At which point does the balance shift sufficiently to warrant such an upgrade without making your civilian life a compromise?

I have Recaro SPG in the car and love it. All my cars uses race bucket seat. Once you get used to bucket seat, you won't go back to regular plush seat.

I drive for long period of time to tracks (5+ hrs) and enjoyed it. The bucket seat forced you to seat at the correct position. The stock seat actually let you slump lazily on long drives. In the end of the journey I feel less tired than I am with stock seat. One thing you have to be sure is to get seat that work with your type of body.

Sounds like very few people who've upgraded their seats have any regrets to report. Very interesting.:)

Air Intake Scoop

The cross-sectional area of the scoop opening looks like it's smaller than the cross-sectional area of the intake in the engine cover. It might be somewhat offset by the air inertia, but still, it looks like it would hurt performance. But I bet if you can get that whole canopy chamber to resonate you'd sound like the QE2 blowing its foghorn. You might be a big hit at the boat shows!:D

We are way off topic here, but a very simple seat upgrade is just to pull the bottom cushion. Now you have great lateral support, excellent headroom, and you are not making permanent changes to the car.

This is not the same as a dedicated race bucket. But for someone who is not the "typical" size for a formula 1 driver, and does not have a dedicated track car, this is a great, simple, non-permanent modification.

plus the lower center of gravity

;) yeah!!!!

i was thinking about seats too... weight savings is what turns me onto it. plus i like to feel snug and strapped in. i never slide too much in the x on the street... like i did in my legends, the rl, etc.

are u guys really digging the recaros for long hauls? wow. that makes me think of making that her next gift from me to her... for me ;)

my favorite mods are weight (usually free)

lastly... something i really want to mod the hell out of is me.

i am on a slight diet (tuna and room temp water). i wanna get down to 165 again from 180. I am at 172 now. i slacked off since winter has arrived.

but the biggest mods i need are track time.

i think we waste too much time improving the car when the best thing to worry about at first is the driver.

changing the colour on my car.
i had my car resprayed in a blue/purple/bronze flip.but the colour has not come out right.it changes colour on a bright sunny day,but not as much as it should,and on a cloudy day it does not change colour at all(Johnny if you read this,this is the reason that i havn't sent you any photos of the wheels on the car yet,but i will get around to it i promise).the problem is apparently that there was not enough paint put on the car in the first place.i have recieved a colour card from the paint manufactures and taken it to the body shop that did the job but he basically told me tough sh!t that he is not going to touch it,so now i am forced to take him to court.
so yeah thats a mod that i REALLY regret.

the guy who sprayed my car is arrogant beyond belief.
what i didnt mention in my last post is that the body of the car/trunk and hood/and front and back bumpers were all sprayed on different days and under street lamps at night they are a different colour.the worst bit off all though is that someone in his workplace has written the word sexy under the paint prior to the car being sprayed(on the passenger side rear wing)and when tha light hits it on some angles you can see it plainly.his opinion is that after having the car back from him somebody wrote the word on the car using tippex correction fluid and then polished it off.what a joke.

jaytip nsx said:
the guy who sprayed my car is arrogant beyond belief.
what i didnt mention in my last post is that the body of the car/trunk and hood/and front and back bumpers were all sprayed on different days and under street lamps at night they are a different colour.the worst bit off all though is that someone in his workplace has written the word sexy under the paint prior to the car being sprayed(on the passenger side rear wing)and when tha light hits it on some angles you can see it plainly.his opinion is that after having the car back from him somebody wrote the word on the car using tippex correction fluid and then polished it off.what a joke.

Just out of curiosity, what colour was the car originally?

Lazarus said:
Just out of curiosity, what colour was the car originally?
sebring silver.the hood was scratched up pretty bad,i wanted to change the roof from black to body colour and i was having a wings west kit fitted.to have them all done would have only cost me a little less than having the whole car done.
the colour that i have had should have been very similar to the one on this website.
www.chrisinfo.ch

Back