• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Most Collectable NSX

I have owned three NSX's and currently have a 91 which has 02 updates etcs. I am thinking of moving up to an 05 for future value reasons. Here is how I think the future of the models will be valued.

1. Zanardi - Very limited completely different model etc.
2. NA Coupes -95-2001 - very rare
3. 05 Models - small number less than 300 which is nothing
4. 91 Models with extremely low mileage or first production
5. 02 Models - first year of the change

What are your thoughts?

I have owned three NSX's and currently have a 91 which has 02 updates etcs. I am thinking of moving up to an 05 for future value reasons. Here is how I think the future of the models will be valued.

What are your thoughts?

If you going by numerical order I believe 1 & 2 should be switched. There are far fewer 95-01 NA coupes ever produced than the Zanardi. IMO I would say they are more rare that the Zanardi and are much more collectable.

+1 to 92NSX's comment! I get mags and panorama on Porsches and if there is a manufacturer that has models that are collectible - Porsche is it. What they tell you is buy the one you like and if it happens to be collectible one day - so much the better.

In the case of the NSX; they are all basically the same car. No real improvements from one end to the other. Of course - newer is better - of course the 3.2/6speed is better - but not by a whole lot.

You mention the 95 - 01 coupes as being desireable because there were so few of them. Good point I would actually say that the coupes in the NA2 series are the most valuable NSX out there! The Zanardi is another good one but it's kind of like the RSA 964 911, lighter and less of stuff but it should actually cost less cause your getting less in a way. If you wanted you could I suppose put the 3.2 and 6 speed in an early coupe. It would cost you but you'd have a coupe with NA2 stuff. Not stock and would never appreciate though.

This is all subjective - folks haven't just got to have an NSX, not like some of the models of Porsches but then Porsche isn't for eveyone. So what's the secret - probably isn't one in the NSX other than keep a late model NA2 coupe with low miles and you might have something that will EVENTUALLY appreciate. When is that - who knows - maybe never.

So I believe the old addage of "buy what you like" and hope for the best and drive it cause it's a car and meant to be driven and that's my way to happiness. Who gets a big thrill out of looking at their car and never driving it - some do - I'm not one of them. That's my 2 cents, and actually 2 cents is more than it's worth!

Last edited:
I was not going to be buying a car strictly looking for a future investment, I have already owned three, so I really like the car. The reason I was going with an 05 was that I like the looks best. It was third on my list, so if I was buying strictly as an investment I would go with NA2 or Zanardi both of which would be in a similar price range to an 05.

The reason I see potential in the NSX is that it was such a significant car in so many ways and the production runs were so small. There are around 280 05 totals, 51 Zanardis and a handfull of coupes. There are actually more Porsche GT's than 05 NSXs not they are comparable but think about watching Barrett Jackson and how they hype a car that was 1 of 300 with a certain motor.

IMO- the car was too important in its day and too few in numbers not to be a collectable some day and if I am wrong I get to drive a great car. I would not think of not driving any NSX I own.

Good for you - be a driver first and look for what you'd really like to own. The last year of any run is a good bet, not to mention the newest NSX out there and that in itself is worth a lot. Good luck in your search - it surely sounds like you have an idea of what you'd like in mind having had 3 before. Sounds like a fun prospect! Take your time and make yourself happy!

05's hold their value alright these days if you find a hard to find color it could help a small amount with resale I keep finding blue ones and people want some money for them (50,000 or higher for the 97's to 01's) my car is a 1 of 1 and it really didnt help with the resale value at all so Im always a little lost when it comes to pricing these cars and which will help the most with resale value good luck man!

The last 2001 coupe that sold went for a large sum of $$$.
2001's in general are the rarest year.
white 2001's are more rare yet.
As cars age and if they become "classics", the more rare, the higher the perceived value. (color, model, year, etc)
Of course, it always comes down to what people are willing to pay.
I have bought and sold 60's Mustangs and price (value) is always in direct relation to state of the economy. Buy when times are hard, sell when times are good.
Stock rules when "collecting" cars. Modifications do not add value once considered "classic"
Pretty well, common sense kind of stuff.

What are your thoughts?

I'd not consider them like I wouldn't early 97 one's.

2. NA2 Coupes are only rare in the US but not in the rest of the world.

Last but not least. 1. Zanardi's are basically Type S, ok LHD/RHD.

Did I disappoint anybody? :D

EDIT: I'd say that the cars Ayrton Senna had are the most collecable ones. Now go and find them! :D

Last edited:
I vote for the Zanardi:biggrin:

^agreed.

I vote for the Zanardi:biggrin:

But there were 50 produced - all the same color... :) compared to the 1-2 coupes of any given color for the 97+ models...

Or have so many Zanardi's met their demise that the remaining ones are rare now?

But there were 50 produced - all the same color... :) compared to the 1-2 coupes of any given color for the 97+ models...

Or have so many Zanardi's met their demise that the remaining ones are rare now?

I've been so busy that I havent really had time to update the Zanardi Registry, but last check there were 37 Zanardi's left.

Paraphrased from one of my posts 3 years ago...

All numbers below are based on American Honda's released figures. It is known that American Honda will fudge data to deny the existence of factory one-offs, so one must bear that in mind when doing any sort of count. For example, in American Honda's database, the factory one-off 1993 Brooklands Green/Tan (which I've seen and verified with my own eyes) is listed as a Grand Prix White.

The rarest color for the US market is Monaco Blue Pearl (2000-2001), with 44 cars built.
2nd rarest US Market color is Imola Orange Pearl (2002-2005), with 49 cars built.
3rd rarest is Rio Yellow Pearl(2004-2005), with 53 cars built
4th is Monte Carlo Blue Pearl (1997-1999), with 66 cars built

If you decide to lump Monaco, Monte Carlo, and Long Beach Blues as just "Blue", and Spa and Rio Yellows as just "Yellow", then the rarest would be Imola Orange Pearl, with Midnight Pearl being 2nd.

The rarest would be one of the following, of which only 1 example of each are known to exist (There might be more, but these are the ones off the top of my head):

- 1993 Brooklands Green/Tan NSX Coupe Manual (Factory one-off built to show the color internally within American Honda to decide if it should be offered in the US for 1994)

- 1996 Sebring Silver/Black NSX-T Manual (Factory one-off built for a very wealthy executive who owns/owned multiple NSXs over the years)

- 1996 Brooklands Green/Black NSX-T Manual (The only Brooklands Green/Black NSX-T Manual)

- 1997 Monte Carlo Blue Pearl/Black NSX Coupe Manual (The only Monte Carlo Blue NSX Coupe)

- 1998 Formula Red/Black NSX Coupe Manual Zanardi "Prototype" Factory one-off (http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=16)
American Honda's database lists it as a Formula Red/Tan Coupe

- 1998 Formula Red/Tan NSX Coupe Manual (The only 1997+ Formula Red/Tan Coupe)

- 2000 Monaco Blue Pearl/Black NSX Coupe Manual (The only Monaco Blue Coupe)

- 2000 New Formula Red/Black NSX Coupe Auto (The only New Formula Red Auto NSX Coupe)

- 2001 Grand Prix White/Tan NSX Coupe (The only Grand Prix White 1997+ Coupe)

- 2002 Imola Orange Pearl/Orange NSX-T Auto (The only Imola Orange Auto)

- 2004 Long Beach Blue Pearl/Black NSX-T Auto (The only Long Beach Blue/Onyx Auto)

Further narrowing it down, I would say the rarest of the rare would be:

- 2000 Monaco Blue Pearl/Black NSX Coupe Manual

Monaco Blue was produced in the fewest total numbers regardless of year/top/transmission/interior combination. This makes this particular 2000 Coupe the rarest member of an already rare subset of all NSXs. The rest of the above colors were produced in larger total numbers for other year/top/transmission/interior combintations)

If you decide to lump Monaco, Monte Carlo, and Long Beach Blues together as just "Blue", then the rarest becomes:

- 2002 Imola Orange Pearl/Orange NSX-T Auto

The reason I see a Zanardi above a NA2 Coupe is because it is truly a different car from a normal 99. It was a non targa, different interior, special paint, wheels, supension etc. It was lighter and named after a famous race car driver. The addition of such a limited number and the plaque in each just smells like a collectable to me. When you look a NA2 the only real change was the elimination of the Targa top and someone pointed out that they might not be that rare outside of the United States.

I agree about the Zanardi, its a true low volume special edition. 52 World wide. (0-51, 49 sold to the public)
I would think a NA2 coupe in LHD would still be pretty rare. There aren't that many NSX's in the largest market US. What would be the next biggest LHD market?

Last edited:
Depending on your state's sales tax and a few other "real world" factors, you should probably do it for other reasons besides resale.

What are your thoughts?

I've been looking at the Barrett-Jackson car auctions for years and some things are certain when it comes to collectibility and value...the low mileage cars that are in showroom condition brings in the most value. Super rare cars that were driven, must undergo ground up restoration before their highest value is realized.

So, a immaculate NSX with super low miles might be worth more than a Zanardi in driven condition. Of course, one might have to wait 20+ years (from last year of production) before any true appreciation will occur.

So one has to consider how much money one wants to tie up in a car...either a garage queen or a driven car that will need restoration, for over 20 years.

There was a Ferrari Testerossa that was being sold for $75k and no takers. Seems it was a driven car but not restored. Probably couldnt find original parts for that Testerossa anymore.

I have been following the Porsche cars for over 15 years, and the early Porsches late 1950's and early 1960's i.e., "bathtub" Porsches have slowly but surely risen are now up in the mid $30k and Speedsters and Cabriolets running in the $40k range. The mid 1960's to early 1970's are fast approaching $20k-$25k. These cars must be in great condition, either original or restored before getting high $$$.

Let history be your guide.

Last edited:
Back