• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Billy Johnson and Moto IQ's: Project NSX

The next installment of MotoIQ.com's Project NSX is now live:

Part 12 – NRG Steering Wheel and Quick Release Install

We upgrade one of the most important tools a driver uses: The steering wheel. We install a suede steering wheel, adapter, and quick-release from NRG.

20%20NRG%20Steering%20Wheel%20and%20Quick%20Release-XL.jpg

https://motoiq.com/project-nsx-part-12-nrg-steering-wheel-and-quick-release-install/

In the article

-Old Steering Wheel Removal
-Weigh Old Steering Wheel
-Weigh NRG Steering Wheel, Spacer, Quick Release, and Adapter
-Install NRG Adapter
-Install NRG Quick Release
-Install NRG Steering wheel spacer
-Install NRG Steering Wheel

Enjoy!

Very nice :). Big fan of the new carpet.
Thanks!
Nice, Billy. I used NRG for my faux-S seats and was quite impressed.
Good to hear!
The NRG Type R wing is actually pretty good. I believe that's who made mine. I bought it a gazzilion years ago but NRG comes to mind. It appears to be an exact mold copy of the original R wing. Better than the Seibon which wasn't.
That's funny, I didn't know they made a Type R wing.

Part 13 – Track Testing Yokohama A052 Tires and Swift Springs

When it comes to performance on track, tires are one of the most important factors of a car. We install what is arguably the fastest 200-treadwear “Street” tire on the market, the Yokohama ADVAN A052. We also change the spring rates on our KW coilovers with a set of Swift Springs to improve the balance of our NSX. We then take this new setup to Buttonwillow to see how it performs and if we are able to go faster than our previous lap times.

21%20Yokohama%20A052%20Rear%20post%20track%20test%20NSX%20MotoIQ-X2.jpg

https://motoiq.com/project-nsx-part-13-track-testing-yokohama-a052-tires-and-swift-springs/

In the article

-Yokohama A052 Tech
-A052 vs NT05 (17/18 vs 18/19)
-Swift Spring rate change for KW V3 coilovers
-iLift system polyurethane top hat bushing replacement
-Track Test & Review
-"One Lap Billy" Video

Enjoy!

Project NSX: Part 14 – Michelin Cup 2 Connect Tires and Forgeline GA1R Wheels

After years of extensive testing and measuring, I finally fit 305-width Michelin Cup 2 (240)s under the rear of an NSX, mounted on a set of custom Forgeline GA1R wheels.

0%20Project%20NSX%20Forgeline%20Wheels%20%26%20Cup%202%20Tires%20Cover-X2.jpg

https://motoiq.com/project-nsx-part-14-michelin-cup-2-connect-tires-and-forgeline-ga1r-wheels//

In the article

-Michelin's new Cup 2 (240) Tire Tech
-Forgeline GA1R Wheel Tech
-Weight of the 245/35-18 & 305/30-19 Cup 2 tires
-Weight of the 18x9 & 19x11.5 Forgeline Wheels
-Weight of the Advan RSII and Nitto NT05 tires (235/40-18 & 275/35-19)
-Cup 2 "Track Connect" tire temp and pressure system

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Billy, I really appreciated your article as I've been wondering for years about what larger tires would fit the NSX.
Thanks for mentionning that the Cup2's in that dimension don't hinder the great feel of the NSX.
I believe you are running the wider Downforce front wings upfront but what about the rear?

always enjoy these updates...you approach cars very clinically which I appreciate..

Billy, I really appreciated your article as I've been wondering for years about what larger tires would fit the NSX.
Thanks for mentionning that the Cup2's in that dimension don't hinder the great feel of the NSX.
I believe you are running the wider Downforce front wings upfront but what about the rear?
Yes the front and rear fenders are wider and from downforce. You can read more about it in Part 8.

always enjoy these updates...you approach cars very clinically which I appreciate..
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad to hear you like them ��

@stuntman Hey Billy, Is there a point where the bigger the tire you go it's just diminishing returns after? Especially w/o added aero or even weight in the car? If so, would you go with even wider tires if you could?

A Senna for example has 245/315 but comparatively has a lot more aero than your NSX. Perhaps, you're thinking of adding a lot more aero? How does one figure out where the balance is? I mean at some point at the extremes, it's probably just adding unsprung weight w/o any benefit when the tires get so huge? I know you lost unsprung weight in this exercise which is amazing. It's just an example of say putting 295/345 where it's just arguably too big? Eager to hear your thoughts. Thx

Last edited:
funny how right now the common super car midengine front tire size is 245...across a bunch of makers including NC1

@stuntman Hey Billy, Is there a point where the bigger the tire you go it's just diminishing returns after? Especially w/o added aero or even weight in the car? If so, would you go with even wider tires if you could?

A Senna for example has 245/315 but comparatively has a lot more aero than your NSX. Perhaps, you're thinking of adding a lot more aero? How does one figure out where the balance is? I mean at some point at the extremes, it's probably just adding unsprung weight w/o any benefit when the tires get so huge? I know you lost unsprung weight in this exercise which is amazing. It's just an example of say putting 295/345 where it's just arguably too big? Eager to hear your thoughts. Thx

I've always been taught that grip is a function of power- the more power you put down, the more speed you can carry, which means the more lateral G you can put on the chassis. Thus, for the standard (276hp) NSX, the common wisdom was that larger tires (or put another way, a larger contact patch) weren't really necessary and you were better off selecting a stickier compound if you wanted better lap times. I think Billy is planning on a turbo setup, so that goes out the window and it makes sense to me why he needs larger rubber.

The other thing that nobody seems to think about with the NSX when adding lateral grip is the oil pan. It's a real issue. Though, I think Billy is running a dry sump. I'm also eager to hear his thoughts. :)

Wow Billy, I'm amazed at how you were able to make such huge wheels look so OEM! 305's!
Thank you! That was the goal.

Really nice article and very detailed information there! Thanks Billy!

Even if they are not same sizes I’m very curious to know your opinion on Michelin Cup 2 VS Yokohama A052, and times around the track!
Thank you for the feedback!

I'll be track testing them friday. Stay tuned!

There is always a point of diminishing returns for everything. Aero isn't a prerequisite for running wide tires, but to answer your question - you would need to go back to my article on How to Size tire for Performance:

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-select-and-size-tires-for-performance/

For my car, I wanted the street/track balance of performance of the Cup 2 tire. The NSX is an oversteering platform when lowered (due to the roll center migration of the car's geometry -something that I want to develop an (expensive) solution to fix) and can often benefit from running wider rear tires. 235 width front tires are common for tracked NSXs. 265-275 width rears are common as well but not wide enough. 235/295 has personally been a better setup for 300hp on up to 600hp+ cars IMO. Since there was no good 235 width solutions in an 18" tire and since there's only 1 225 width tire option and I didn't want to go down to 215; 245 was the best size and offers many tire options and is just slightly wider than the 235 norm. 315 isn't much wider than the 295 rear width that I like and is also readily available.

For Time Attack, even a 265 width front tire could develop more front grip and be faster. It really comes down to the tire you're running and making sure to keep it in its operating range. Size it too small and overheat the tire, and you lose grip. Size the tire too wide so it doesn't heat up to its operating range, then it will not make as much grip and also have less grip. I sized the Cup 2s according to my testing and what coincides with a lot of modern supercars (for a reason).

I've always been taught that grip is a function of power- the more power you put down, the more speed you can carry, which means the more lateral G you can put on the chassis. Thus, for the standard (276hp) NSX, the common wisdom was that larger tires (or put another way, a larger contact patch) weren't really necessary and you were better off selecting a stickier compound if you wanted better lap times. I think Billy is planning on a turbo setup, so that goes out the window and it makes sense to me why he needs larger rubber.

The other thing that nobody seems to think about with the NSX when adding lateral grip is the oil pan. It's a real issue. Though, I think Billy is running a dry sump. I'm also eager to hear his thoughts. :)
Acceleration grip and speed does not really translate to the later grip potential of a tire. Most corners are slower than the straightaways; so the lateral Gs aren't dictated by how much power you can put down.

If grip and track performance is the priority, then choosing the stickiest tire possible is the number one factor (as mentioned in the link above for sizing tires). Since the goal for my car is a mixture of street/track (like modern supercars), I chose my tire accordingly, which is also used by most modern supercars. From there, I chose a width based off the power I will be making and sizing availability.

Oil starvation is a real issue. I have a baffled pan and i'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't blow my motor in these 4-5 laps of testing. If I make it through that, then I can go forward with installing and testing my dry sump oiling system that I'm developing; because with the prices of C motors now, a well-engineered dry sump is now notably less than the price of a new or built motor. I developed my dry sump system to retain air conditioning, which no other dry sump system has done before on the NSX, and because tires and aero are becoming so good these days, that the chance of blowing up an NSX motor becomes easier and easier with modern aero and tires. Once the dry sump is tested, I'll put my turbo motor in the car.

what track you testing on?

The next installment of Project NSX is live!

Project NSX Part 15 – Upgrading the Interior with Sweidit

We worked with Sweidit to modernize the interior of our NSX with Alcantara and Nappa Leather, replaced plastic trim panels with carbon fiber, and upgrade the head unit and amplifier.

0%20-%20Cover%20NSX%20Swedit-L.jpg

In the article

-Custom ultrasuede interior by Sweidit - Door inserts, headliner, A & B pillars
-Custom NAPA leather door and center console armrests by Sweidit
-Carbon fiber Center Console by Euroboutique
-Upgraded head unit
-3D printed amplifier bracket and small NVX 400W 4-channel amp
-Custom Carbon Fiber trim and side sills

Enjoy!

Nice work on the alcantara headliner and pillars, I made that change a year or two ago and its one of my favorite interior updates. I hired someone to do the headliner since it was the hardest part and he was able to steam the alcantara to fit the contours of the headliner without relief cuts, but I kind of like the look of the stitching. If mine ever falls down (hopefully not) I might do something like that, its a bit of a nod towards the JDM headliner with the alcantara inserts.

The next installment of Project NSX is live!

Project NSX Part 16 – Dry Ice Blasting Restoration

We restore the undercarriage and engine bay of our NSX with Dry Ice Blasting.

0%20Cover%20NSX%20I%20Am%20Detailing%20Dry%20Ice%20Blasting%202-X2.jpg

In the article

-What is Dry Ice Blasting?
-Before and After photos
-Videos of multiple NSXs being blasted/restored

Enjoy!

The next installment of Project NSX is live, and I'm excited about this one!

Project NSX Part 17 – ECUMaster PMU16

We replace the NSX’s aging factory main relay and fan control modules with the ECU Master PMU16 Power Management Unit. This also gives us the ability to not only control but log the draw of any device such as the fuel pump, radiator fan, front lift, windows, and more.

0%20Cover%20ECU%20Master%20PMU16%20NSX-X3.jpg

In the article

-Removing the OEM Main Relay & Fan Control Module
-The PMU16 Power Management Unit
-3D Printing a bracket for the PMU16 to replace the OEM Main Relay & Fan Control Module
-Wiring the PMU16 into the OEM harness
-Powering the Radiator Fan and Fuel Pump directly from the PMU16

Enjoy!

Project NSX Part 18 – DBW Conversion with Motec

We upgrade the ECU in our 30-year-old NSX to the advanced Motec M150, and ditch the throttle cable in favor of a Drive-By-Wire setup to take full advantage of new tools and tuning strategies that modern electronics and technology has to offer.

0 Cover Motec and ECU Masters.jpg

In the article

-Removing and looking at the internals of the OEM ECU
-The Motec M150 ECU
-3D Printing a bracket for the M150 ECU
-Custom ECU Engine Sensor Wiring Harness
-ECU Master EGT to CAN module
-Motec Lambda to CAN module
-OEM 1991-1994 pedal vs OEM 95+ Drive-By-Wire Pedal
-DBW pedal install

Enjoy!

Project NSX Part 18 – DBW Conversion with Motec

We upgrade the ECU in our 30-year-old NSX to the advanced Motec M150, and ditch the throttle cable in favor of a Drive-By-Wire setup to take full advantage of new tools and tuning strategies that modern electronics and technology has to offer.

View attachment 180991

In the article

-Removing and looking at the internals of the OEM ECU
-The Motec M150 ECU
-3D Printing a bracket for the M150 ECU
-Custom ECU Engine Sensor Wiring Harness
-ECU Master EGT to CAN module
-Motec Lambda to CAN module
-OEM 1991-1994 pedal vs OEM 95+ Drive-By-Wire Pedal
-DBW pedal install

Enjoy!
Another great article Billy. I can attest to the fine nuances involved in a DBW conversion. The importance of pedal feel cannot be understated.

Another great article Billy. I can attest to the fine nuances involved in a DBW conversion. The importance of pedal feel cannot be understated.
I'm a pretty big fan of the pedal weight and feel of the OEM 95+ pedal/assembly/cable/sensor. It feels very "cable-like", natural, and intuitive.

Back