• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mugen M7's: I don't get it *confused*

They are BALLER JDM, it's that simple. If you don't get it, than don't try; it's not for you. But in certain circles these things are a status symbol and get you major props, especially if you are into showings.

If the real value of these wheels is having people consider someone "Baller" status :rolleyes:, then I think a quote from Will Smith might apply here: "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like."

Question: If they were only worth $550 and not $5,500, would the person owning them still be considered a "Baller"? Or is the perceived value of these wheels derived only from the fact that someone paid such a high price for them? Do these wheels have ANY other features of value to a sports car enthusiast?

I think they look good on the NSX - at least on the black NSX pics shown in post #12. I would only consider it for show though as I would want something more open that offers better ventilation.

Clearly any rims or mods are based on personal taste. But I'm one of those people who really don't get it, maybe I'm just getting old :)

There is zero benefit (to me) other than having people who "get it" drool at your (fulgy) rims?. Rather have a set of BBS LM's or advan RS's instead.

If you are buying these because YOU like them, more power to you. I would just hate to think that people would buy these just to have the perception of envy or approval from total strangers.

But I'm not striving for "baller" status either- much rather keep a lower profile "front office" status :)

BBS LM's > Mugen any day :wink:

If you buy parts for your car to be perceived by strangers to be "balla status" you really need to look at your life in general (not directed at anyone in particular) I think if YOU really like those wheels, then buy them since it's your money but personally I think most Mugen products look butt fugly :rolleyes:

The only Mugen parts I would put on my cars are their s2000 hardtop and rear spoiler. No NSX parts at all!

People set a price based on 2 things IMO: a) How bad they want to sell quickly b) Rarity of product that allows them to demand the $$$$

If a seller is in no rush and knows he has a gem, then of course he would ask a premium price, we ALL WOULD :tongue:

rick

I dont get it either... if you like em, more power to ya... but for that price theres a lot more wheels out there I'd opt for before those.

And speaking of not getting wheels... I dont get the whole corvette rims on vw's either...

What is there to get confused about? To each his own. I always had a huge liking for this wheel and many parts from Mugen since back in the 80's. Which is why all my other projects have had M7s on them. They always built exceptional quality aftermarket parts that carry an OEM fit and finish. I am a true wheel enthusiast. Some people love to collect the rare stuff no matter what the costs. :wink: I'm a true Honda head..

Very interesting read.... this may justify the price and the quality of the products... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugen_Motorsports
A great history lesson...

Mugen Motorsports (M-TEC Co., Ltd) (無限) is a Japanese company formed in 1973 by Hirotoshi Honda, the son of Honda Motor Company founder Soichiro Honda, and Masao Kimura. Mugen, meaning "Without Limit", or "Unlimited", (hence the commonly placed word "Power" after, denoting "Unlimited Power") is an engine tuner and parts manufacturer closely associated with the Honda Motor Company. Despite the family connections, however, Mugen is not, and has never been, owned by Honda. Things were complicated for some time as Mugen was owned and run by Hirotoshi Honda, who has been the major shareholder in Honda since his father's death in 1991.

The company tunes and races Honda vehicles in the Super GT championship, and, additionally, sells aftermarket parts to amateur enthusiasts. It was part of partnerships that won the Formula 3000 championship in 1990 and 1991, and that eventually led to Mugen's involvement in Formula One, from 1992 to 2000, and up to 2005 was the exclusive supplier of Formula Nippon engines.

Corporate history

The company has a strong racing heritage as Hirotoshi Honda began building his own racing car, in a workshop at his father's house, shortly before he graduated from Nihon University in 1965. Masao Kimura is a veteran with more than 50 race victories in Honda sports cars and single-seaters and worked for Honda R&D and then Honda Racing Service before he helped Hirotoshi Honda establish Mugen.

The company specializes in tuning Honda engines, beginning with the 1200 cc Honda Civic engine, but has since developed and can now design and build both two-stroke and four-stroke engines and manufacture many of the major components.

Mugen ultimately intends to build its own road cars and the first step towards this was the creation of bodykits for the Honda Ballade CR-X in 1984. Since then, the company has produced a number of body kits for Honda machinery, culminating in 1992 in the Mugen NSX prototype.."

Enjoy..

46999b84.jpg

Spoon>Mugen :biggrin:
I wonder what wheels this company is using...:rolleyes:

6f3d19aa.jpg

My old hatch... MUGEN>Spoon :tongue:

baggerwagon-1.jpg

I was headed down this path not too long ago. In the end I tossed the idea. I even went as far as asking my cad expert friend to draft a set of CNC ready 5 axis drawings for what a 17/18 face would look like and finding the forged aluminum blocks to mill off of as well as finding the laser etcher for the mugen character logo.

The largest set you can find for these are 16/17. Baller status states you have to be 18/19 on an NSX (at least in my book) which means to redo the hoops on a 16/17 to be 18/19 means you'd need a triple step lip. Not sure who makes these and not sure if they'll even look good. Too much trouble... I'm not man enough to go through it.

Alex's set are nice but for that money i'd want a 18/19 set and also be partially crazy to spend that much money on wheels you know for sure are going to be heavy.

If you are truly interested. I can re-build any wheel, any size, any offset... :smile:

Last edited:
fugly, especially the ones on 'spoon' car- looks like a hubcap off a 50's buick.

Mugen fanatics can argue that it's function over design. Sounds good to me! :cool: There are enough wheel companies out there who places aesthetics over performance. I don't understand why anybody would be confused by the sellers asking price... If I have the means to get it, I'd love to put that on my NSX. Mugen is the alter ego of Honda as Clark Kent is to Superman :smile:

I hope a lot of you guys don't own a single piece of artwork. Your kitchen counter had better be plywood. Your clothes should be from JCP at best. And none of you should own a NSX!

Why?

Because you guys are aparently the most practicle, conservative and logicly thinking individuals to ever post on Prime.

Now, if you don't mind, can us morons who like to own things that are based on emotion and not YOUR PERSONAL CHECKLIST be left to our own devices?

Seriosly, I picture some of you in an art gallery saying, "This is stupid."

you want to call yourself a moron just remember it came out of your mouth- i did not see that anywhere here yet. please feel free to open a tread praising mugen wheels 'til the cows come home, this one ain't it obviously so anyone caring so much about a 'very subjective opinion' should remember this opinion is "someone else's", not theirs, and nobody send you a PM bashing the wheels you have on your personal car.
like 'ch@d' said, 'to each its own' so if you like to pay $6k for a name, go for it but because someone did not got sucked into the 'name game' and considers those wheels without any performance benefit and very questionable esthetics, especially for their price, they are ignorant? fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
you want to call yourself a moron just remember it came out of your mouth-

they are ignorant? fantastic.

Ignorant? I never said that. Just remember that it came out of your mouth. :confused:

I don't recall saying anything to earn your personal wrath. I was jokingly being self depreciative and you took it as an opportunity to attack me. Not sure why; did I offend you somehow? You find the wheel ugly, over priced and pointless. Okay then. That's your opinion of which you have already shared.

I like collecting Shalomi Haziza sculptures, but many find them garish. There is probably a thread out there titled, "Haziza: I don't get it *confused*" Is there nothing that you own that others find impractical? Do you not covet something just for the sake of calling it yours? And do you always show such aggression towards people who try to share their vantage point in order to help you understand why they view things in a different light?

Last edited:
personal 'wrath'- are you being funny again? seems like.

your 'self-depriciating post' is much more of an attack than my clarification of the opinion, there is absolutely no aggression involved at all, i take it as more of a 'foot in mouth' scenario on your part spurred by being defensive of your personal opinion- hence my clarification on opinions. i possibly could have understood your post as a joke if it was not for your passive-agressive comments.
anyway, you want to be funny- be funny in a way that clearly shows your intention.
thank you.

edit:
"I hope a lot of you guys don't own a single piece of artwork. Your kitchen counter had better be plywood. Your clothes should be from JCP at best. And none of you should own a NSX!"-
and, of course:
"Seriosly (sp), I picture some of you in an art gallery saying, "This is stupid." "

funny or not funny but just might sound like portrayal of ignorant, even if not spelled out as such.

Point taken. I didn't mean to offend, and was playing in jest. I digress.

So let's start anew. :wink:

Since this thread brings into question the sanity of someone willing to spend uber dollar on a "status" wheel, what then determines a wheels true value??? For the most part, I've always looked at the desire to upgrade one's wheel package sort of akin to buying the latest pair of sneakers. What defines a logical purchase of a new wheel package?

IOW, if the Mugen setup doesn't make sense, what wheel would you choose and how would you defend your purchase? How does this differ from those of us that love "old school JDM bling"?

Juice,

I get your point, we all have stuff that is not necessarily practical in someone else's eyes.

Here's my take. With the M7's, if the rarity and price were excluded, would the style of the rims be appealing enough to consider buying them? Maybe, but still a no. For me there are much better looking or functional rims available (IMO, of course). I have a feeling the majority of the folks would agree and this style may not fall in the mainstream appeal. Tack on the lack of weight savings and a 5k price tag - it makes ME (and many others) not want them even more.

But I wonder if the rarity and price MAKES it appealing? And, once again the style is unique, which makes it stand out.

Ironically, with all the talk about practicality, I'm sure this could be deemed a smart purchase if you could break even or make money owning these rims. But then again, you would have to like them first :)

BTW: Disclosure - I don't really like or appreciate "art," but I do have granite counter tops and SOME clothes from JCP :)

-Bill

Point taken. I didn't mean to offend, and was playing in jest. I digress.

So let's start anew. :wink:

QUOTE]

no problem here as i don't think anyone was offended, i was just pointing out that it was not a 'witch hunt'.

as far as asking me for my opinion, i am not sure if it will be anything truly relevant. i was looking for wheels for over a year and i could not bring myself to spend $3-4k on a set on wheels that i can damage the next day. to me, anything that would decrease performance was out of the question so i was limited to light and expensive choices. i liked volks but the durability of their finishes scared me away and few cheaper, yet still light choices did not sit well with me esthetically or i did not like the offsets or necessity of spacer use. i ended up buying a set of 02+ oems and re-finishing them in non-oem color. they are not exactly cheap but they are oem, light, no fitment issues and look decent.

This has to be the best thread ever!!!

People that own close to a 100,000k car complaining about 5,000k

This has to be the best thread ever!!!

People that own close to a 100,000k car complaining about 5,000k

maybe 100,000 pesos...but these guys are talking about a 25,000.$ car:wink:

If I didn't have the BBK I would have just bought these rims for shits and giggles. I need all the street cred I can get. :cool:

Back