• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mugen M7's: I don't get it *confused*

Hey guys,

First of all, I am not out to bash the ones for sale on Prime. Its an open market, one I've taken advantage of and I appreciate everything that's listed here for fellow NSX nutjobs like me :biggrin:

However, I just don't understand what it is about the old Mugen M7's that allow sellers to ask for such a high price? They are old skool, rare, yes. However they are neither lightweight, suit the looks of the car or (seemingly) sought after.

I'm sure some hardcorehellaflushJDMMugen fetishists will eventually snap them up but you would think the market sets the price and $5K does seem like a lot for wheels that don't fit a heckofalot of BBK applications.

Just wondering if anyone can explain why they cost so much for what is essentially a pretty mediocre wheel...

-John

I was wondering the same thing.

It's strictly a rarity/exclusivity type thing. I think those wheels would look better on an S2k, then a NSX. As far as price goes, it's not THAT bad as you see members here buying HRE and what not around that same range brand new.

+1

Its also about the younger generation that loves these wheels. The stance movement is more important than function and the M7's are definitely one of the flagship wheels that speak to that movement/generation. If you own an NSX, I would assume it's all about performance but the same thing has happened to the E46 M3. A lot of guys go purely for the looks and not the performance advantages.

I agree with everyone else that most sellers of the Mugen M7's are asking more than they are worth, but again it is MUGEN and its is a wheel you can't purchase again new ever again even with a Larry Ellison budget. (maybe) I myself are not that fond of them especially at a 16/17 combo which looks stock small on a nsx. Would I buy them for $2K? Nope, a set of used te's in a 18/19 would do it for me @ that price. But then @ $500 w/tires then I might have to think really hard before I get a set but that isn't happening. Same concept w/the mugen signal covers. People bagged on them being over priced for $330, but now that they aren't available.. easily they can go for that if not more used. A used set on yahoo japan went for about $500USD. Blodi has a copy but the quality just isn't even close according to my sources. (great alternative at least) Exclusivity has its price. Its a free market and people can ask what they want. All they need is one "buyer" to bite and they can laugh their way to the bank.

IMG_9713_alex_zhao_s2000_mugen_M7_offset_copy.jpg

Stock they look like crap on a NSX, or anything. But this guy modified them, and I think they are sick, but still can justify paying that much. I would seriously consider these over any HRE or new cookie cuter JDM wheel. But I would have to see them on a NSX first.

Was looking at the same sales ad and was just confused to see the price, but I guess its like one of those uniqe things some people just GOTTO have. Anyone got a picture of a NSX with those wheels?

Personally I would never go down that street.

I guess I'll be the dissenting voice here...I think they look awesome, especially on an NSX. The M7s, in NSX fitment, are incredibly rare, have Mugen significance, and are basically one step away from being designed by Honda in-house.

If someone is a Honda enthusiast and wants aftermarket wheels that are "Honda" wheels, Mugen is the brand to get. And the M7s are the best Mugens around.

There is a listing for a set here on Prime for $5,500 - seller says "don't like the price, don't post" and sold "as is". I guess sellers of these wheels feel they have some real value; hence the take it or leave it attitude and high price.

Last edited:
Here's some pics of M7s on an NSX. Enjoy!

Attachments

• ChadsNsx2.jpg
    ChadsNsx2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 874
  • ChadsNsx3.jpg
    ChadsNsx3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 767
pony I must have those...I will offer 10,000. $ because they are so special...and so round....:tongue:

They are BALLER JDM, it's that simple. If you don't get it, than don't try; it's not for you. But in certain circles these things are a status symbol and get you major props, especially if you are into showings.

You may have an awesome mutt that can catch a mean frisbee, but he would earn you a failing grade at a dog show. Get it? :cool:

Ah, so if I get these I will be baller status in only certain circles. Thats toight.

I know I want them bad but cant justify the price of a used supercharger for wheels. Im thinking of getting a set from japan, and having a them done myself.
I was headed down this path not too long ago. In the end I tossed the idea. I even went as far as asking my cad expert friend to draft a set of CNC ready 5 axis drawings for what a 17/18 face would look like and finding the forged aluminum blocks to mill off of as well as finding the laser etcher for the mugen character logo.

The largest set you can find for these are 16/17. Baller status states you have to be 18/19 on an NSX (at least in my book) which means to redo the hoops on a 16/17 to be 18/19 means you'd need a triple step lip. Not sure who makes these and not sure if they'll even look good. Too much trouble... I'm not man enough to go through it.

Alex's set are nice but for that money i'd want a 18/19 set and also be partially crazy to spend that much money on wheels you know for sure are going to be heavy.

I thought the M7's were exceptionally light?

pony I must have those...I will offer 10,000. $ because they are so special...and so round....:tongue:

Being round is key. Their "special"ness is what's debatable. ;)

They are BALLER JDM, it's that simple. If you don't get it, than don't try; it's not for you. But in certain circles these things are a status symbol and get you major props, especially if you are into showings.

You may have an awesome mutt that can catch a mean frisbee, but he would earn you a failing grade at a dog show. Get it? :cool:

Well said. This conversation reminds me of one I had w/ a guy that asked me why the Mugen FG-360 steering wheel was so expensive.

I'm a little surprised about the negative reaction from most of the posts. Granted, I'm not a show car kinda of owner but I realize why someone would buy these and the reasons behind it.

I thought the M7's were exceptionally light?
I was referring to weight after upsizing to 18/19 by rehooping. I guess I could have worded it better. I don't know how heavy his 17/18 set is. On an S2k they look like "pure sex". lol

btw.. someone should PM Alex and do a test fitment on an NSX. that would be nice

Last edited:
There is also the syndrome brought about by the coming of Ebay, the Antique Road Show and the like on TV. Basically (and with a little exageration) that you can finance your retirement by revisiting your garage, your storage unit and your attic :)

I would already own Alex's set if it were not for my BBK "needs". I ended up settling for a new set of gram lights 18/19. :frown::biggrin:

I'm not trying at all to be negative, but I am a somewhat practical guy. Being jdm tyte is one thing but going to such great lengths to throw a set of wheels that harm performance makes no sense to me on a car like the NSX. I guess to me it's akin to the hellaflush thing as well: stretched tires, ridiculous camber and a car so slammed it's incapable of proper function is not what a "carguy" should do. I must be getting old :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back