• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My brake lamp light is on...

Kaz

Do you have a picture of the other side of the circuit board, Have one that has a hole burnt in it so the connections are hard to make out. IMG_20180121_192851825[1].jpg

Hi, Valhalla.
It's the one marked in blue.
It's on the RPM gauge board and labeled as HC1.

Module01.jpg

Module02.jpg

[All photos are courtesy of Mr Toyoizumi at T3TEC, Japan.]

There are several surface mounted chips molded in the black coating so you can't see what's being used and also can't see the actual circuit pattern.
It's in-house hybrid IC so not sold on the market.....
From time to time, the cap leakage caused internal failure of this molded component that the only fix was to replace it with a spare one.

Kaz

89GvqV4_LaFfzOTrtqBGrzNRj5JdnMOdfztn9oZ6MHHjLiy6pDM0qqTNS1_qwH6Qi8WNcjEzv_34L0c8ZjzZQ8H4S3Gpj48QM_HZffhio6RzafuQWpXEkDhA5tgdLe-6_gM0kPOEUP0aezKSKlW-Nb3hH_ZlWscK6nr-Yl5MDRpAdTcBq_8YmiKdFfLbu5fUXcjrro8iwxUQhVXRaGBrKmeKCQbcF9Xu-ljCF7OtVk0G7mnhRLFDP4MtZsvwOZhNtPro20I840izS15K1yzfjYTwrteEoQ_5--upL4Q95G-LyzTrOyvzQoKLkokaO7UciTOdjtjbYVW5a0eLprjY5SE9U02T_9kt567Dqv1pOGu0kaRpPg-9WH7-ztDg5jXAKLNqnqlsrb6W6oVZ5DrgeME6vbKEavtN8eqo8NYQo0ounJYtSVqzrMljnzfjIwsCBWIfUoyXEXx6AuN4TgDDoqR1_QPg_qvaMjaylTqIjZSG5Id4ug8-QCsYKhIJXPLsl8v8JGsJ5JaUjQBpFrEp_w_d-tGP9TytcNVadnoDnOIoBqHrFSR65O6YWRbW2WzjD_YOK_4QfmQqgEc8w_ekyz2DquUK5ByPKLF1-ofc=w1684-h947-no

h9svqBvJ-0DZBlG4jgSoyhypmE5rfl0E5IBng8o8ql3gKhVL7Yu-nKiKa0YFJfAOhdCgWhSVMDPxgcJdmOFxJS_6A72pqCKMlhAR8cTuLNzCKH8AmE6shATGpu_IV-EYBiF6YxDTojo8z7If8TfpAF-u1VsMxC7s1g_q76PCKR2rxCU7EO8EOeuInhoNq6awi8pmWSrKpPaTzbjXPIqUDEODAiWjT6sErFJLE5_ropHtsiiM-bGtPD7BykV-H0STyi06HLUGylE0uALSGwJhWHoQBTlX7rXv9IZRZHML_E_feStLNzJZ34plJ-vPE9rC1Co74MYCjslIxpuTHjsvNorPL7pExNy0OAL-7APnUemF7ZrM4nLb_4Lv_MgxpPEooVDzSMbI1HqEp4MVevuFxTTnT2UQlg4bR5MRCpDrSSxiKkF1fKTOI90_oBqKUyhmA-Ep1nxncUYjNQ2k7IpQ9Mao-29RbmMb1_5Py7UtHTiwTp3QIVvKLw3u4CshD6BXRqOiZ2SRhsia-ZxK4nUOFwXfXA30eob2Ot0AcTYk6NlCIx-6pXycpXzcVbrnWxJBpHAsT5Ix_DeH1y58wXGagcHxhnTix1DMdRUgSV1R=w916-h947-no

Hi, @Briank.

I checked my photo library and I'm afraid I don't have the one showing the soldering side of the circuit board.
My friend in Japan may be able to take photo for us but it's being hit with heavy snow even in central Tokyo area as we speak so not sure when they can come back to me.

In the meantime, hope these photos can provide you with some idea.

The 1st one is the original.
The 2nd one, I flipped and then cropped it.

Hope you can figure out the circuit pattern from the shadow.
Please note that this was from UK spec 91 model so the detail would be different but hope the area you are looking for is the same.....
For example, you have D42 but not D38.

Kaz

Last edited:
I was getting the brake lamp light along with my speedo jumping around after extended driving so I sent the cluster from my 91 off to Brian K. who refurbished it and let me know that it was due for a rebuild. The speedo has been working fine since but I still get the brake lamp coming on randomly, it never stays on when I first start the car but will just sometimes come on randomly.

At first if the brake lamp warning is not on then all my tail lamps and brake lights work fine but as soon as the warning lamp lights up the left bank of brake lights no longer lights up. Though as of a few weeks ago when the brake lamp warning comes on all of my taillights and brake lights still work fine. I haven't messed with anything or tried to troubleshoot other than getting my cluster rebuilt. I have no idea why it comes on now while all the lights are still working. Any ideas?

Look at post #51 in this thread. You will see that the sensor is looking for a continuous ground and lights up when it does not detect ground. When you are not pressing on the brakes that ground is provided through the high mount brake light. If the wiring to the high mount light is loose or compromised you can get intermittent warning light operation when you are not pressing the brakes.

Check the ground connection for your left tail light assembly as that can cause non operation of the lights and non operation of the brake light failure sensor.

I was getting the brake lamp light along with my speedo jumping around after extended driving so I sent the cluster from my 91 off to Brian K. who refurbished it and let me know that it was due for a rebuild. The speedo has been working fine since but I still get the brake lamp coming on randomly, it never stays on when I first start the car but will just sometimes come on randomly.

At first if the brake lamp warning is not on then all my tail lamps and brake lights work fine but as soon as the warning lamp lights up the left bank of brake lights no longer lights up. Though as of a few weeks ago when the brake lamp warning comes on all of my taillights and brake lights still work fine. I haven't messed with anything or tried to troubleshoot other than getting my cluster rebuilt. I have no idea why it comes on now while all the lights are still working. Any ideas?

Jeff as oldguy noted as long as the instrument cluster sees a ground the brake light warning light will not come on, either you have a issue with that signal or there is still a problem with your cluster. I do test that for proper operation but if its not failing right away it could have gotten past me. You can find the signal wire in the trunk and ground it or better ground it at the cluster and drive it and see if it fails. I believe it is the orange and white wire in the back as well at at left 30 pin connector at the instrument cluster.

I'll check if anything looks loose as I did replace my tail lights and 3rd brake light with new JDM components last year. I wish I could remember if that's when the brake lamp warning light issue started happening. As far as checking a ground I'll have to find some help on that as I am not familiar with electrical wiring.

Here is the brake light circuit showing the wire from the brake light monitoring circuit in the cluster to the sensor modules located at the tail light.

Brake light circuit.JPG

As Brian K noted, the wire from the cluster to the detection module at the right rear tail light is the Or/Wh wire. If you pull back the trunk lining from around the right rear taillight you should be able to spot the module behind the tail light and trace the wiring to find the plug with the wire. Slip a piece of fine wire into the plug terminal for that wire and then ground the other end to chassis - use one of the mounting nuts for the ground. With that temporary ground in place the brake light failure warning should never come on. If it does, you have a cluster problem. If the warning light stays off with the temporary ground in place then you have a problem with the high mount brake light. To check the ground for the absence of left hand brake lights pull the trunk liner back to expose the tail light. You should be able to spot the wiring and follow it to where the ground connection is made to the chassis. If you do a search on Prime you should be able to find a thread which has some good pictures of the brake light failure modules in the trunk and the associated wiring.

Last edited:
Back