• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My EPS (Electronic Power Steering) light came on

Hi fellow members,

Today while driving my car my EPS light came on. I have a 1992 NSX automatic with 177,000 miles. When the light came on the the speedometer went funnie, it either moved up and down rapidly or it did not even move at all while driving or stopped. Also the dashboard where the "D" the green light was flashing.

I stopped the car for about half hour. When I turned the car on the EPS light is still on but the flashing "D" is not flashing anymore and the speedomter is working fine again so all I have on is the EPS light.

Reading the forums I guess I have to do a diagnostic check on it and see what the problem is and also some have said on the forum to remove the clock fuse and replace it to reset the EPS. Can I remove the fuse and put it back in or do I need to buy a new one?

My main concern is that is it still ok to drive the car without the EPS. It drives fine. It is only hard to steer when the car is not moving but when I let go of the brakes the steering is normal, only when dry steering it is really hard to move. Just wondering is it ok to drive it for now until I find the problem?

Thanks prime members for any input, just worried if the car should not be driven at all to prevent further damage or is it ok to drive for now until problem is checked out? Thank you! :smile:

Last edited:
Do a search, 57 threads on this. Also read recent posts by BrianK & contact him.

Had the same issues with my 91 X. Doing the clock reset will sometime fix the problem. then all is back to normal for a few days/weeks??
My past experience identified 3 issues. #1: replace speed sensors, inexpensive #2 : computer which is able to be repaired by a fellow prime member. In my case my dealer replaced it with a new unit which was costly. # 3: need a new steering rack which is very costly, in the region of US$ 4k. In your case take the step by step approach and try to read the code first. I have driven without the EPS for several months when parts were on order. :frown:

Thanks for the input everybody. I will check the connection first on the speed sensor and hopefully it is just a loose connection. Thanks again prime members :smile:

It has been about a week now since I pulled the clock fuse and the EPS light has not come on, hope it stays off. I am guessing that there was a loose connection on the speed sensor. I kinda moved it around and it seemed that there were no loose connection, so far all is good. Thanks prime members again for your inputs. :smile:

Back