• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My run in with a Yamaha R1

So let me precede this story and say that any street racing is incredibly stupid and illegal. People who street race should have all their body hair plucked one by one by rusty tweezers. Therefore, all of the event s detailed in this story occurred on closed course, under strict supervision, with all legal and safety precautions address at the time of the incident. :wink:

So ediddynsx came into town (great seeing you again!) and wanted to catch up on times and check out changes to the NSX I had made since the last time he was out here. Ironically he brought out a friend of his, who happened to be one of my company’s biggest clients and fellow NSX owner. This guy is a pretty big shot in our industry and in addition to his NSX has a slew of cars, including a F40, F430 Scuderia among others (yeah Eddie’s got some serious clout! :tongue:) So after some Starbucks, I offer to give a ride to our mutual friend to see how a modded out NSX compared to his F40. After some warm up we take a side road off of the highway that is very infrequently used knowing we’d have some pretty clear and open road to really push it. As we pull off a white and blue Yamaha R1 tails us. At first I think he just wanted to get a closer look because as we approached a stop sign he signaled a left turn while I was using it to a launch platform for a nice long run. But as he saw me start gearing up for a pull he immediately pull back into the straight lane. So here we were on a nice two lane, 1 way road, with nary a car in sight. The only thing we were missing was a chrismas tree. I had already started about a 5-10 MPH roll, and wasn’t expecting him to follow suit so our start was very informal. However, it was timed almost perfectly because we both launched into gear at about exactly the same time. From about 10 to 45 MPH we were completely even (almost exactly side by side), with very small lurches for either car with gear changes. Then, unexpectedly, I slowly started pulling on him. His front wheel started to disappear from my peripheral vision. As we hit about 80 he was barely at my bumper and at 110 he was at least car length behind when he just completely let off. I also let off and coasted up to the next light. We both gave each other a big thumbs up and took off in separate directions.

Anyway, it was quite an experience and a completely unique and ideal situation for an ideal race. I think both the R1 rider and myself were quite shocked that I was able to pull as I didn’t think I was able take a 1000cc bike especially with a passenger, and I don’t think the R1 rider was expecting a car to keep up, let alone pull him. My passenger was laughing hysterically, which is a very rare sight to see as he comes and button down as they come. That alone was worth the entire run. :smile:

So let me precede this story and say that any street racing is incredibly stupid and illegal. People who street race should have all their body hair plucked one by one by rusty tweezers. Therefore, all of the event s detailed in this story occurred on closed course, under strict supervision, with all legal and safety precautions address at the time of the incident. :wink:

But they didn't take place on a closed course.

Congratulations on your incredibly stupid and illegal street race. Next time just keep it to the real track.

Flame on.

Awesome story, speed limits are for women. and speeding tickets are for men.

I am sure the guy riding the bike was surprised cuz he probably never had to taste defeat in his own town. good for you.

you didnt finish, what did this passenger with the F-cars comments on your NSX? performance

But they didn't take place on a closed course.

Congratulations on your incredibly stupid and illegal street race. Next time just keep it to the real track.

Flame on.

What? Yes it did. It was clearly stated at the beginning of my post. :smile:

The reason people should look down on street racing is safety. Most of us hate seeing punks weaving through traffic, cutting people off left and right. What if they hit me? Or hit you, or worst case, hurt someone's children?

If it was a one way road, with nobody around, not passing next to a school or an orphanage or even a McDonalds, then it's still illegal. But, who's going to get hurt? How many of us have never taken our cars out for a speed run? Never gotten into triple digits? I've never gotten above 150, but there wasn't a soul in sight when I did.

If you're going to do something dangerous, make sure you're the only one who can get killed.

If it was a one way road, with nobody around, not passing next to a school or an orphanage or even a McDonalds, then it's still illegal. But, who's going to get hurt? How many of us have never taken our cars out for a speed run? Never gotten into triple digits? I've never gotten above 150, but there wasn't a soul in sight when I did.

If you're going to do something dangerous, make sure you're the only one who can get killed.

Agreed.

What? Yes it did. It was clearly stated at the beginning of my post. :smile:

It was also clearly stated that you raced at a traffic light. I can't think of many tracks that have traffic lights, other than in the pits/staging area, and I know you didn't race in the pits.

I also let off and coasted up to the next light. We both gave each other a big thumbs up and took off in separate directions.

Clearly a novice on the R1.

It was also clearly stated that you raced at a traffic light. I can't think of many tracks that have traffic lights, other than in the pits/staging area, and I know you didn't race in the pits.

No I didn't, go back and read carefully. We didn't start from light, we started from a 4 way stop sign. We finshed at a light, but that light was very far from where we ran. I didn't say how far we travelled until we stopped. I think you are thinking we are on some sort of crowded street. Let me paint a picture for you. We are on the outskirts of the Vegas desert. Two lane road, one way, no on coming traffic. The only thing we are flanked by are rocks, rocks, and more rocks. There were no cars within sight. If I had a pound of C4 plastic explosives strapped to my car and I flipped it and blew up, the only thing that would have been damaged would have been maybe a cactus. I've driven cars for nearly 2 decades, I have a turbo'd NSX, I don't have a single ticket or accident on my driving record. I'm not totally irresponsible. :smile:

This is definitely a possibility. Also remember not all R1's are created equal. I have seen some older ones trap mid 130's while the newer ones are high 140's, which is a very serious difference. It takes a monster car to pull a late model liter bike.

....... If I had a pound of C4 plastic explosives strapped to my car and I flipped it and blew up, the only thing that would have been damaged would have been maybe a cactus. I've driven cars for nearly 2 decades, I have a turbo'd NSX, I don't have a single ticket or accident on my driving record. I'm not totally irresponsible. :smile:

:biggrin:

This is definitely a possibility. Also remember not all R1's are created equal. I have seen some older ones trap mid 130's while the newer ones are high 140's, which is a very serious difference. It takes a monster car to pull a late model liter bike.

At those traps, the squids will get sucked off the bike....... or become a banana
foreskin on the road......

It's just about impossible to race a liter bike from a slow roll like that. Any gas in 1st or 2nd sends you staring into the clouds. Top end you could probably take him, the aero's aren't that great. He probably maxes around 190mph. You really have to either launch the bike out right or start the race from a speed that he can go WOT without immediately flipping over backwards (50mph+). The NSX and most mid engined cars can more or less start a race at any speed which is nice.

My 14 is pretty quick on the expressway :)

I thought about that and thought that to be very likely. However, I did note that where I really started to pull on him was once we were already in our gear at high speed with full traction for but of us. Basically both of us "pedal mashing", yet it was just a slow steady pull like he just couldn't keep up. I don't know. It wasn't very scientific; just some screwing around on a beautiful Saturday. :smile:

If the bike hadn't been there and it was just you and the open road with no one in sight - what one of us wouldn't mash the go fast pedal down and let her rip. I mean a condition like that is no different really than a track. This situation wasn't like that - but if it had been as I described I would be running hard. However, I would much rather run on a twisty canyon run that was also devoid of on coming traffic or just any traffic. In the twisties no one goes full out - it's not safe - there are no run off points - but it sure does lend itself to "spirited" driving. I don't think we'd have these cars if we didn't all enjoy a bit of "spirited" driving - so I think we all need to be a bit realistic. There is a difference in being reckless and just letting the car out just a bit doing some fun driving.

I know there is not one of us here that doesn't know what I'm talking about. Let's just all remember to be safe. Don't let things get out of control. That's all. :wink:

ok... so

the guy on the R1 doesn't know how to ride a bike or wasn't racing.

some math

assuming the r1 is 2004 or newer it has 150+ hp at the rear wheel and weighs 380 lbs add a 150lb rider and you have a power to weight ration of 3.5:1

i don't know what your car, you or passenger weighs or your hp but i'll assume your car weighs 2800 lbs and you and your passenger are each 150 lbs and you have 600 rear wheel hp. (these are all very generous but it does not matter ) so the nsx would be at roughly 5 :1

So clearly if you were pulling away at 60 , the guy was not racing.

Ok guys my turn to chime in....First off as Bryan has stated they were literally in the middle of no where when this quick stint happened. Secondly he had a passenger who could verify what happened. I could verify that the road that was taken was desolate since I was the last person to get a ride and we went by the same road.

Edit: based on Toms math, and depending on tires and aero most likely the guy didnt go all out, but he was still surprised at how the car accelerated.

My friend said basically that Bryans car will beat his F40 no problem at least up to a certain point, after that I am pretty sure the F40 will start pulling with the topspeed? don't know but anyways, with the Scuderia it will be close due to the quick shifting that it can do.

Anyways great to see you again Bryan and thanks for showing me the awesome car! Good to see Danny also, can't wait to go back to Vegas again.

Heres a token or two for you Bryan ;)

Last edited:
Is that F40 stock? A stock F40 will top out at 200-201mph. I'm sure a 600whp NSX can easily break 200mph.

Back