• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Advise - Rattle/Clang From Left Rear

Increasingly over the last 500 miles the left rear wheel area has this clang or rattle. Sounds like something metal to metal is loose. Extremely noticeable when going over the round lane dividers they glue on the roads. Note: stock wheels.

It goes away when the brakes are applied.

Brakes were just done 100 miles ago but was doing it before then. Don't think it's brake related...could be wrong.

Have looked and looked and everything is tight? What would cause the sound to go away when the brakes are applied?

Made for a lousy spirited drive yesterday.

Any ideas?

97-T #009 @ 29K

[This message has been edited by NSX4U2 (edited 29 September 2002).]

Try these two things. Jack the left rear of your car up(use a jack stand when done jacking) and have a friend hit the rear tire with a sledge hammer(it works) and see if you can spot the noise. I would also check(stock exhaust only) if there is gravel in the heat sheilds on the muffler and pipes. I had the same problem with the gravel getting stuck between the muffler and heat shield and it was similar to what you describe.
Good luck,
John

John,

Thanks for the reply. I tried the process you described. Suspect by loading the weight of the car on the stands, I can't replicate the rattle.

My real question is: why would loading the brakes (using the hand brake) make the rattle go away? Sounds like pads or something in the spring/shock?
although, it does not appear evident when looking at them???

Go figure!

Are you sure it is not the metal shims that go between the brake pad and the calipers since you just changed the brakes? Were they properly lubed or were they glued as some have recommended ...... ?

Originally posted by Hrant:
Are you sure it is not the metal shims that go between the brake pad and the calipers since you just changed the brakes? Were they properly lubed or were they glued as some have recommended ...... ?

That is a good question, Hrant. My 2 cents would be that is what is causing the rattle. Due in part to the noise completely going away when the emergency brake arm is lightly engaged.

Is it possible that the pads can rattle/clang that loud? I mean this is significant? Sounds like something is ready to fall off.

Tell me more about solidly affixing the pads. Is this noise a common problem with OEM pads? Have you heard the noise they make when loose? Can you describe?

Thanks!

Are you sure it is coming from the back? The only reason I ask is because I had a similar noise, that I thought was coming from the back. It was actually the cover for the Hub in front. It was off and sitting inside the suspension arm just a clanging away.
Just a thought. As a matter of fact mine is off again after a track day.
Len
n9s5x-t

Tom, I personally have not had that experience since I have changed pads once but was informed of the possibility of a simialr clanking noise. The fact that it goes away when you brake or use the hand brake seems to indicate in that direction.

You may want to take the wheel off and check the pad and see if the shim is secured (either greased where the contact is with the pad backing or glued to it).

Tom, I personally have not had that experience since I have changed pads once but was informed of the possibility of a simialr clanking noise. The fact that it goes away when you brake or use the hand brake seems to indicate in that direction.

You may want to take the wheel off and check the pad and see if the shim is secured (either greased where the contact is with the pad backing or glued to it).

It's funny that you guys mentioned the shims on the pads. I have a similar experience. After installing the new pads (made by Hawks)I've heard similar sound as others described. It turns out that the shims were cracked and a piece of it is hanging out of the caliper on both fronts. Little did I know the sound that these shims made is actually scraping the inside rim of my brand new 7 spoke blades. Good thing I notice a little early otherwise my two front rims would of eating away by the shims. This brings up a questions. Who should be responsible for the damage on my rims? Me? The dealer who installed the pads or Hawks?

NSX4U2,

I think the problem you are experiencing is in the rear brake caliper. The calipers are a "floating" type and they ride on two large pins. With age the grease that surrounds these pins gets old and dry. You actually are hearing the "floating" part of the caliper clanking around due to lack of grease.

Remove the rear calipers, clean the pins, regrease them properly, and all should be well.

I have typically seen this on cars that are tracked alot, due to all the heat. Seems mainly in the rear. A good friend out here in the NE had his rear calipers replaced (warranty) to solve it, but after doing some research, we found the calipers were actually fine, just "dry around the pins".

HTH,
LarryB

Originally posted by Larry Bastanza:
NSX4U2,

I think the problem you are experiencing is in the rear brake caliper. The calipers are a "floating" type and they ride on two large pins. With age the grease that surrounds these pins gets old and dry. You actually are hearing the "floating" part of the caliper clanking around due to lack of grease.

Remove the rear calipers, clean the pins, regrease them properly, and all should be well.

I have typically seen this on cars that are tracked alot, due to all the heat. Seems mainly in the rear. A good friend out here in the NE had his rear calipers replaced (warranty) to solve it, but after doing some research, we found the calipers were actually fine, just "dry around the pins".

HTH,
LarryB

Thank you Larry, I will give this a process a try. Was trying to order just new brake pad clips but they are sold only with a new caliper.

Thanks again for the reply.

Regards!

Originally posted by NSX4U2:
Thank you Larry, I will give this a process a try. Was trying to order just new brake pad clips but they are sold only with a new caliper.

Thanks again for the reply.

Regards!

So did you fix the problem? What was it ...... ?

So did you fix the problem? What was it ...... ?

Have not fixed the problem. The problem Larry and Gerry thought may be the problem is likely not it since the pins were greased durning a recent brake job. Don't know for sure because I have not had time to look at it.

Will advise for all when time permits.

Thanks for asking, Hrant!

I have a similar noise on the right side. In my case it is one of the exhaust hangars. The tech at the dealer and I confirmed this with the car on the lift. Road debris kicked up, clipped one of the corner bolts, and bent it. The result is an irritating rattle.

It wasn't really fixable and the hangar assembly only comes as one big expensive piece, apparently, so I've chosen to live with until (if) I decide to change the exhaust.

Back