• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need New Minivan

Finally happened. Our third child was born two weeks ago, and now my wife insists the vehicle that was gonna last forever, the last one she'd ever own, the one we bought 16months ago, her beloved Toyo LandCruiser, MUST be traded in for a minivan.

HELP!!! Any suggestions? I'm looking at Honda Passports and Toyo Siennas. Both seem to be comparably rated and both have minor differences in available options. I'm looking for fully loaded with every available feature. I'm leaning a little towards the toyo as it has AWD, not available on the Honda. Both drive nice. Both are fugly, so i guess i dont really care about asthetics...

Any thoughts & ideas?? THANKS!

huckster said:
HELP!!! Any suggestions? I'm looking at Honda Passports and Toyo Siennas. THANKS!

I guess you mean Honda Odyssey as they do not make the Passport anymore. Both vans are good quality. Honda has recalled the 5 speed automatic in the Odyssey so I would give Toyota an advantage as far as transmission durability. I have an 01 Odyssey and I have only had 1 problem with the idle in 90k miles. Honda extended my transmission warranty from 36k to 100k miles due to so many problems with it. Those transmissions run very hot, if you do get one, consider putting a heavy duty transmission oil cooler on it.

good luck

The 05 Honda is a 100% new van from the ground up. It is now better than the Toyota. It is the only mini to have windows on the sliding doors that go down just like a door. It also will now beat the Toyota in frontal crash safety. It is aso the only mini to have the engine turn off a full bank of 3 cyl at cruising speed, and run as a 3 cyl. This saves 3-4 mpg hwy. It also is smooth when going to and from the 3 cyl mode. The magazines could not feel the switch. It also has a lazy susan in the floor for the kids to store CD's, DVD's etc. It also seats 8, has a power tailgate and sliders, and exclusve new design run flat tires. If you are comparing the Toyota to a 04 Honda, you need to go back and drive the 05.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Odyssey

Last edited:
The Sienna also has HIDs too. :biggrin:

I think one of the major sell points for the Odyssey is the i-vtec engine on the touring models that deactivates some of the cyclinders at cruising speeds to save gas mileage. Personally I like the Sienna because of the AWD.

T Bell said:
It is the only mini to have windows on the sliding doors that go down just like a door.

The Ford-powered Mazda MPV had this feature since it's redesign about 4 years ago. Of course, not in the same league as Honda or Toyota.

BTW, my Odyssey is a frigin beast in the snow, I've made it through virgin snow about 16 inches deep. Who needs AWD?

I would go with the Oddy or the Seinna- all other are not even worth the testdrive.

btw, we went with a '04 seinna(1/04) before the new oddy came out. oh and the passport is a isuzu rodeo :tongue:

I know the new Odyssey very well being a Honda sales consultant. I've seen and compared the Sienna and find it to be a good minivan but the Odyssey, in my opinion, is much better.

Take a look.

- 3.5 liter 255hp engine (Sienna is 3.3 liter 230hp)
- Runs on regular fuel (Sienna recommends premium)
- Better gas mileage as a result of VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) when running on three cylinders
- 5-speed automatic with Grade Logic Control means no gear hunting (not available on Sienna)
- Multi-link double wishbone rear suspension (Sienna is torsion beam)
- Drive-by-Wire throttle system (non available on Sienna)
- Side airbags with OPDS that turns off side airbag when child is present in passenger seat and/or leaning in airbag deployment path (OPDS not available on Sienna)
- Four wheel disc brakes (only availble on top models with an option package)
- In floor storage with Lazy Susan
- XM sattellite radio ready (standard navigation models)
- Lower overall comparably equipped price

The Sienna XLE Limited (compared to Odyssey Touring model) does offer HID headlights and Dynamic Laser cruise control but this is more than offset by Odyssey's more horespower, regular vs. premium fuel, better fuel economy and infloor storage with Lazy Susan. The Touring model does offer the Michellin PAX runflat tires that offer a much better ride than the Sienna's system that uses stiffer sidewalls that equate to a much more rougher ride even when the tires are properly inflated. In terms of drivability, the Sienna has a great ride and absorbs all the bumps but feels like your driving a big van. The Odyssey doesn't feel this way at all due to its more advanced suspension, quicker and more precise steering, wider front track and beefier standard tires.

That's my take on it. I've learned a lot about the Odyssey and it truly is a much better minivan. You will not be disappointed. It's a Honda!

Vytas

Vytas said:
Take a look.

- Runs on regular fuel (Sienna recommends premium)
- Better gas mileage as a result of VCM.

Vytas

Couple of comments:

- the seinna doesn't require premium.

- EPA ratings are 19/26 for the Seinna 19/25 on the oddy without VCM. with VCM its 20/28.

From real world point of view, (I owned an import repair shop specialize in Acura/Lexus) 99-03 Honda Odyssey has more problems, 98-03 Toyota Sienna is less troublesome. But the 05 Odyssey is very well designed. I spent the Thanksgiving with my brother, and he just got a 05 Odyssey touring edition, I am very impressed.
The 05 Odyssey rides much harsher than Sienna, I believe that's due to the Michelin PAX tires. The windnoise is also louder than Sienna. Due to Honda's poor transmission design. I would not recommend Odyssey for my customers. Toyota Sienna drivetrain are just more reliable. I come to this conclusion after service both models and I am not bias towards Toyota, I was a die hard Honda guy, but the late model Honda's has too many problems.

Yeah, you are right. The new sienna does have sliding rear windows up/down---brand new for 05. The only thing i think i might be missing is the function where you can reverse the rear seat and do the tailgate thing!!

Thanks for all the input. I'm doing the toyo. The awd and honda's tranny issues are the ultimate difference. (and yeah, i'd heard about honda's trans running hot from several different sources--maybe they fixed it in 05 and maybe they didnt).

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

My '05 Odyssey EX is supposed to arrive in the next 2 weeks. I went with the Ody because in the EX trim (compared to the Sienna LE) it was $1.2K cheaper, and has the better powertrain, dual sliding doors vs just one, VSA, 6-disc CD changer (which of course you can get for a few $ in the Sienna), and side curtain airbags.

I drove both and liked the Sienna's interior quality better and it had a smooth ride in a straight line, but the soft suspension pitched and heaved in corners and under braking. The engines felt pretty much the same (they should be, power-to-weights are very close). The Ody's ride and composure was much better though, it just ate up the bumps and irregularities and felt totally secure at all times.

BTW the tranny recall was with the 04 models, not the 05's (problem has been corrected). If you hold previous problems against a vehicle, the Sienna has had more serious problems and seems to have more owners who think the've been wronged. Go over to www.siennaclub.org and have a read. But fundamentally either Honda or Toyota will be heads and shoulders above other manufacturers in reliability.

Both are nice, I doubt you go wrong with either one. But, go figure, I happen to like Honda's.... :)

glad to hear honda fixed the trans for 05. Picked up the sienna yesterday. I think you are right, these are both great vans, tough choice. The toyo was a little more expensive. Fully loaded the sticker was 41k, including the xle with HO package. Navi works good, really like the backup cam. The adaptive cruise control is pretty nice too. Congrats on your new van as well!! I think the Honda may be a little better looking.

Honda Odyssey. I dont remember any other minivan with 1 year waiting lists and premiums over sticker price! Something about this van must be special :smile:

no doubt the honda odyssey is exceptional as well. Gotta say though, honda missed the boat on AWD. That pushed me over to the toyo. When youre giving up a nice awd sportute to get a minivan, it is nice to know youre not giving up AWD. If the odyssey had AWD, i would have given up toyos laser adpative cruise control to get the Honda instead. AWD was the difference, for me.

Back