• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need some Advice- Oil & Water mixed up- $$$ ?

I have a 91 with 45K on it, Work 17/18 wheels, RM stainless exhaust & NOS kit. The car is not abused and is in mint shape.

I have noticed some oil in the coolant.
I have not checked the oil for coolant- have to send sample out for that. Car runs fine.
I am very light on the NOS, dont really use it much at all.

In any event, I have been told it could be either 1) blown head gasket (I would think the car would run poorly and/or hot)
or 2) pin hole leak in water jacket somewhere.

There is only one dealer here in Las Vegas, and Im not about to trust it to the dealer.

Any ideas on how to test for problem, and can anyone recommend a reputable, honest shop near Vegas (Phoenix, etc).

Thanks,
Wayne

Originally posted by speedemon:
I have a 91 with 45K on it, Work 17/18 wheels, RM stainless exhaust & NOS kit. The car is not abused and is in mint shape.

I have noticed some oil in the coolant.
I have not checked the oil for coolant- have to send sample out for that. Car runs fine.
I am very light on the NOS, dont really use it much at all.

In any event, I have been told it could be either 1) blown head gasket (I would think the car would run poorly and/or hot)
or 2) pin hole leak in water jacket somewhere.

There is only one dealer here in Las Vegas, and Im not about to trust it to the dealer.

Any ideas on how to test for problem, and can anyone recommend a reputable, honest shop near Vegas (Phoenix, etc).

Thanks,
Wayne

\\\\
That should say "have not noticed coolant in the oil but I have to have sample tested for that"

My suggestion is to drive the car to Mark Basch... LV is what, 4 hours from PHX?

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

let me know how he is down in phoenix would ya? nsx modified is about a 4 hour drive to Huntington Beach, ive heard nothing but good things about those people.

I have been told it could be either 1) blown head gasket (I would think the car would run poorly and/or hot)
this may not be true *initially* if the damage is minor enough. my experience with a blown head gasket (not on nsx) has been that it can begin to show itself as water in oil w/little or no degradation in performance. how about running a compression?

Originally posted by queenlives:
I have been told it could be either 1) blown head gasket (I would think the car would run poorly and/or hot)
this may not be true *initially* if the damage is minor enough. my experience with a blown head gasket (not on nsx) has been that it can begin to show itself as water in oil w/little or no degradation in performance. how about running a compression?

The WTC thing affected my firm quite a bit, so this will have to wait a little while. I do hope it's just a head gasket. Will post results when Basch looks car over.

Back