• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New 9th gen Accord - disappointing

Because I don't really want to talk to you anymore Vance, unlike anyone else I have ever met on this forum. You are just kind of a negative rude person in general.

No matter how hard I try to be nice.... you can never be that way. So you can post whatever you want from now on, and be comfortable knowing it won't be discussed directly by me. I am going to respect Lud and nsxprime and just stay away from talking with you and having it escalate into what it normally does with you.

You went out on a limb and he took a chainsaw to it.

I am a bit of a hypocrite about my attitude toward Kia/Hyundai "versus" Honda. Although I started recommending the 2010+ models of the sonata/optima and korean cars in general to anyone who asks, I personally don't see myself purchasing one any time soon. Practically speaking I plan on holding on to my 05 civic DD a couple more years so I haven't seriously contemplated it. My mother's car is getting up there in miles and I'm going to have her test drive both the sonata and the optima before I "let" her blindly buy another Honda.

Kia/Hyundai aren't prefect.. but they've earned my respect.

Because I don't really want to talk to you anymore Vance, unlike anyone else I have ever met on this forum. You are just kind of a negative rude person in general.

No matter how hard I try to be nice.... you can never be that way. So you can post whatever you want from now on, and be comfortable knowing it won't be discussed directly by me. I am going to respect Lud and nsxprime and just stay away from talking with you and having it escalate into what it normally does with you.

OK, you win, Hyundai is the greatest car maker in the world. Honda sucks for not bring out HSC, ASC, and the the up coming NSX 2.0 is less than Hyundai Genesis.

I don't expect you to answer the question because you don't have an answer.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have not noticed this phenomenon yet, but I can see how it can manifest...especially if your car doesn't have the greatest visibility to begin with.

Thanks for your contributions to this thread. I have an 00 Accord and the subsequent Accord models don't interest me in the slightest. The 13 Accord looks more like a refresh than a redesign IMO. Disappointing.

Ha, don't get me wrong it's happened only a few times, but were the only times recently that I got completely surprised by another driver in traffic, leaving me feeling mildly annoyed (and unsafe) to be fooled by a supposed safety feature. DRLs make sense but maybe some of the ultra bright blingy LED DRLs may have gone a bit overboard.

I can't blame visibility since I have basically the same DD as you, an '02 Accord! The sightlines are pretty awesome, very unlike the deep-bathtub disconnected feeling of many of today's cars. Amazing how acceptable that boringly-styled car is, it just does everything pretty above average, good enough to be a keeper 196k miles later.

I'm glad you enjoyed the contributions - I'm always willing to criticize silly automotive styling or cars with no soul, personality, or inspiration and having nothing making you look forward to driving them. I just have to keep from going too Adam Carolla-esque hyper-vigilant, ha ha. Like you I get a lot of joy from cars done well and mild heartburn for the opposite. Guess I've never gotten over a certain frustration when I started at Ford Motor Co as an engineer - our mid 90's Mondeo test mules were unlike any domestic car I'd ever seen, they were pretty unique and hip inside and out - very 90's VW-esque but a few years before VW's resurgence and great ads with hipster music and people in black turtlenecks. Then a few years later out comes the yawner Contour & Mystique and the oval-overkill Taurus. It was as if Ford intentionally dumbed down the Mondeo for north america. Booooooorrrring....

If the 2013 Accord is ultra reliable like mine has been, offers good fuel economy and safety, and has good driving feel and sightlines, it'll of course still sell well. But like you I won't be inspired by its been-there styling.

Last edited:
I would take Mazda Skyactiv over Hyundai and Kia.

28mpg city, 40mpg hwy, 14:1 compression ratio on regular gas :biggrin:

feel_power_img_01.jpg

2013 Accord Sedan and Coupe Revealed

Stop saying shit about the Accord.

I think it's one of best looking Accord ever and better looking than any if not most cars in its class.

Last edited:
Just check out these pics of the real car.

Attachments

• 2013-honda-accord-sedan-photo-469899-s-1280x782.jpg
    2013-honda-accord-sedan-photo-469899-s-1280x782.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 223
  • 2013-honda-accord-sedan-photo-469902-s-1280x782.jpg
    2013-honda-accord-sedan-photo-469902-s-1280x782.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 2013-honda-accord-sedan-photo-469903-s-520x318.jpg
    2013-honda-accord-sedan-photo-469903-s-520x318.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 2013-honda-accord-sedan-photo-469904-s-1280x782.jpg
    2013-honda-accord-sedan-photo-469904-s-1280x782.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
It's ok, I feel like a lot of manufacturers are copying each other. To me the front looks sort of like a Jett's, the side like a hyuandai sonata,the wheels like a Kia optima, and the rear tail lights... Can't put my finger on it .....

It actually doesn't look that bad, the front is pretty cool. Wheels looks horribly small though and no just the rim, but tire diameter too.

It actually doesn't look that bad, the front is pretty cool. Wheels looks horribly small though and no just the rim, but tire diameter too.

The one shown in the picture is probably the LX. EX should have bigger size wheel and tire, but keep in mind this is a family sedan.

It's ok, I feel like a lot of manufacturers are copying each other. To me the front looks sort of like a Jett's, the side like a hyuandai sonata,the wheels like a Kia optima, and the rear tail lights... Can't put my finger on it .....

Do you realize that Hyundai Sonata is a Mercedes CLS knock-off?

Come to think of it, I don't think any previous Accords were ugly. They all look decent and not exactly offensive like most of the Acura lines with the ugly beaks. This new Accord definitely looks good. If it eventually has sh-awd, I will definitely consider it for my DD to replace my civic.

Hyundai is an 'everything' knock-off.
It's a recession brand, I expect it to go away in 3-4 years.

Wishful thinking if I've seen any. Copycats or not, the Koreans (Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Kia, etc.) are kicking ass right now, and they're not sitting still waiting for everyone else to catch up and surpass them.

Also, I don't think the recession/housing market will have fully recovered in 3-4 years. I know plenty of people who are still underemployed and struggling to make ends meet.

Hyundai is an 'everything' knock-off.
It's a recession brand, I expect it to go away in 3-4 years.

I can't tell if you are joking, or serious. They are in better financial shape than Honda. The Genesis is selling very well, it's a 40K car. They have an Equus at 60K+. The Sonata surpassed residual over the Camry and Accord last year. It isn't even that much cheaper. So all the people buying a $40,000 Hyundai do so because we are in a recession?

I can't tell if you are joking, or serious. They are in better financial shape than Honda. The Genesis is selling very well, it's a 40K car. They have an Equus at 60K+. The Sonata surpassed residual over the Camry and Accord last year. It isn't even that much cheaper. So all the people buying a $40,000 Hyundai do so because we are in a recession?

Hyundai, or Hyundai Auto Group? Honda has been having stellar sales success and their financials have been excellent as a result.

Also, the residual on the Sonata is NOT and was not higher than the Accord. They may have predicted higher residual but the real world values do not and did not match. If you looked at Hyundai's "resale guarantee", their residual values were laughable, with depreciation of over 50% on most models in THREE years. That's more like a four or five year depreciation point for most Hondas, based on leases and actual resale value. Of course, sales success of the Sonata has been quite flat and nowhere near the top of the class (snoozers like the Chevy Malibu have been beating it - blah!).

I love the Genesis Sedan (would gladly own one) and the Equus is a great-looking car but I have yet to feel any love for their bread-and-butter cars overall. I love the look of the Kia Optima but the drivetrain and chassis don't do anything for me (a Camry V6 kills the turbo in a straight line and the Accord still drives better, as does a Mazda6, in my opinion) and the Sonata is even worse. Fuel economy hasn't been that great, either. The press quickly fell out of love with them (drawn in by features and styling, I figure) and the recent comparos have been pretty brutal on the Sonata especially.

They're here to stay, though. They've been raising prices (MSRP) across the board and their sales have held pretty steady, which means there is genuine demand for their cars regardless of the price. That's good news. They definitely have some nicely-styled cars (slightly overstyled in many cases, in my opinion) and they have excellent options but their drivetrains and chassis' are sorely lacking yet, compared to the better competition.

I also don't think much of the new Camry, if it's of interest. Blandly built, boring to drive and the interior is pretty snoozy as well. Great V6, though!

I have high hopes for this Accord with genuinely high fuel economy plus better styling, better standard options and typical reliability.

Also, the residual on the Sonata is NOT and was not higher than the Accord. .

Well I didn't make it up. For 2011 the Sonata topped the accord.

"2011 Sonata GLS with automatic transmission received a 36-month residual value of 54 percent of manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) from Automotive Lease Guide (ALG). Sonata had the best residual value, topping important competitors like Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and Chevrolet, or even premium brands such as Lexus, BMW and Mercedes."

It seems quite surprising, but the facts bear it out. Here is ALG's residuals for a brand as a whole for 2012. Hyundai is right on Honda's tail. Look how they rank:

Mainstream Brand Residual Value Rankings:

1. SUBARU
2. HONDA
3. HYUNDAI
4. MAZDA
5. TOYOTA
6. NISSAN
7. KIA
8. VOLKSWAGEN

I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for the Koreans, I still think the Japanese make better cars. But there are a lot of assumtions and assertions on this thread that are just incorrect. I think the Koreans are major players not "recession brands". They aleady do certain things better than the Japanese, and the rest are creeping upward fast.

So your post turbo proves that the Sonata did not top the accord. So the previous poster was right that you made it up and were not correct. Why would you follow up with a post stating that your right when your own info says you are wrong

Regardless I think the 2013 accord is good looking !

So your post turbo proves that the Sonata did not top the accord. So the previous poster was right that you made it up and were not correct. Why would you follow up with a post stating that your right when your own info says you are wrong

Regardless I think the 2013 accord is good looking !

HUH??! Are we reading the same thing? Or did you not read my whole post?

Back