• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New aftercooler and 500+ whp

Re: New aftercooler = 500+ whp

That is awsome setup. Can you post some more info?

Coolant temp (on boost)
IAT temp (on boost)
Injector size

Thanks,
Dave

I'll try to answer as many questions as I can. Work during the week keeps me pretty busy and makes it hard to get back online to stay on top of threads.

Many people have been asking about charge temps. The most obvious improvement with the new setup is the stability of the intake temps with the new cooler. If you notice the silver trace (factory IAT sensor), you'll see that charge temps only slightly increase upward and to the right from the beginning of the run to the end.

No matter how hot or cold the manifold was, the temps with the 14 psi pulley only increase between 14 - 18 degrees F from the start of a pull to the end.

Running down the highway aggresively under boost threw all of the heat soak dyno data out the window. IAT temps became even more stable and dropped significantly from the dyno runs. I attribute this to proper air flow in the engine bay and much more flow to the large aluminum water cooler in front of the radiator.

BTW - I am running 720cc R/C low imp injectors with a 91 OEM resister box.

Here one of the logs on the dyno:

Attachments

• 14 psi log_2.JPG
    14 psi log_2.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 958
Last edited:

Devin@AEM said:
Based on what I've heard from several members, I think this is the most hp documented from a supercharged NSX.
Too help protect my bank account and from geeting me too excited, can you let us know about how much this cost?

Devin, I saw you are running the injector duty cycle at 77.5 I am curious as to what fuel pump you are running. It is my understanding the the Walbr high flow pump is good to 450 HP.

Armando

Armando,

The Walbro on my GSX is supporting 556 whp no problem. And it totally maxed out on one of my employees cars at 617whp on his GSX. Both of our cars had stock fuel lines, stock FPR, and stock fuel rail.

Elite said:
Armando,

The Walbro on my GSX is supporting 556 whp no problem. And it totally maxed out on one of my employees cars at 617whp on his GSX. Both of our cars had stock fuel lines, stock FPR, and stock fuel rail.

Good to hear as we should be knocking on the 500 RWHP sometime this week.

thanks
Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
Good to hear as we should be knocking on the 500 RWHP sometime this week.

thanks
Armando

Have you upgraded your Head Gaskets?

MiamieNeSeX said:
Yes,
and Aftercooled,
and Aquamisted

Armando

Cool, I am looking forward to seeing your results too!

Your motor is still stock compression though correct?

MiamieNeSeX said:
Devin, I saw you are running the injector duty cycle at 77.5 I am curious as to what fuel pump you are running. It is my understanding the the Walbr high flow pump is good to 450 HP.

Armando

There is a LOT of room with my fuel pump right now - my static fuel pressure is only 42 psi and my air/fuels are on the rich side for added safety. I do run a slightly larger pump than a 255 Walbro - I think it flows roughly 40 lbs/hr more fuel than the Walbro 255 hp @ 50 psi. Probably overkill.

Mo is right about the Walbro 255 - it should be just what you need.

I can't wait to hear how your car turns out Armando.

Boy, that does get up into the air. That's too bad. Even if you tried to cut and shape your cover, I don't think it could hide it that well.

Devin looks good, mine will end up close to that as we reconfigured both the after cooler and the volute. Safe before looks........... keep up the good work

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
Devin looks good, mine will end up close to that as we reconfigured both the after cooler and the volute. Safe before looks........... keep up the good work

Armando

How many lbs of boost are you running?

0 for now as we are still putting Humpty Dumpty back together again, once we are done ( this weekend) I will run 10 to 12lbs.

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
0 for now we are still putting Humpty Dumpty back together again, once we are done I will run 10 to 12lbs.

Armando

I wonder what I would need to run 500rwhp on mine as I am already at 12lbs. I am interested in seeing what you end up with.

I dont believe we will hit "500" but we will be pretty close and will do so safely. I will leave the 500 club for Devin,Len, and Gene(in the Vette) :biggrin:

Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
I dont believe we will hit "500" but we will be pretty close and will do so safely. I will leave the 500 club for Devin,Len, and Gene(in the Vette) :biggrin:

Armando

I think Gene is sticking with the C6 convertible... so no 500 for him. :biggrin:

Devin,

Incredible! I must have a ride in the beast. Will you be dropping by Ryan’s shop one of these Friday nights?

Dave

Excellent Work Devin!

In light of all the negative press around the BBSC, it is refreshing to see such an example of a properly aftercooled and tuned NSX. ...Where are all those low torque critics now?!

Thanks for leading by example by providing progressive insight and support to our power hungry community. We need more like you!

Chris

Devin, that's bad ass. Nice work!

Your output is mighty impressive, here are some raw numbers:

## 3.2L engine, 14psi @ 7780rpm
[mike@iron mike]$ ./engine.pl --cid=195 --iat=127 --psi=14 --rpm=7780 --ve=1
Input RPM: 7780
Input CID: 195
Input IAT (deg F): 127
Input PSIg: 14
Input VE: 1

Pressure Ratio : 1.95238095238095
Absolute (deg R) Input IAT : 587
Absolute Pressure (PSIa) : 28.7
Air mass lbs/min (ideal) : 58.0072859273242
Air mass lbs/min (lost) : 0
Air mass lbs/min (real) : 58.0072859273242
Volume of air BASE (cfm) : 438.975694444444
Volume of air REAL (cfm) : 857.047784391534

1 Horsepower for every 1.63 CFM.

[mike@iron mike]$ ./engine.pl --cid=195 --iat=127 --psi=7 --rpm=7750 --ve=1
Input RPM: 7750
Input CID: 195
Input IAT (deg F): 127
Input PSIg: 7
Input VE: 1

Pressure Ratio : 1.47619047619048
Absolute (deg R) Input IAT : 587
Absolute Pressure (PSIa) : 21.7
Air mass lbs/min (ideal) : 43.6900446549616
Air mass lbs/min (lost) : 0
Air mass lbs/min (real) : 43.6900446549616
Volume of air BASE (cfm) : 437.282986111111
Volume of air REAL (cfm) : 645.512979497355

1 Horsepower for every 1.71 CFM.

For comparison, my novi 2k @ 10psi and 7750rpm was only putting out about 1 Horsepower for every 1.97 CFM when I did the baseline after installing it (at around 10:1 AFR and around 12-13 degrees of timing.

If you want to send me a couple rpm/load datapoints from one of the dyno pulls (or a street pull, whatever) or want to send me that log I can plot your path along the novi 2k compressor map. I did my own car a couple months ago here. Your setup must be damn close to the middle/meat of the map with that kind of output!

ps: your car will push 881.3 CFM at 8000 rpm, let the dog loose!

-mike

Back