• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Blackberry Bold vs iPhone 3G?

+1 for the iPhone. I have been using it since it first arrived and its still the best phone out there.
My wife wants a new phone and wanted to stay on Verizon so i went and checked out all the new blackberry's and the Google phone and then went to AT&T and bought her a new 3g iphone and ported her number.
The way i look at it is that you can keep buying a new blackberry every year and you get an extra feature or two but then you'll be back buying a new one again the next year and having to relearn that phone.
The iPhone is rock solid and will continue to be for a long time. It is the best technology investment you can make these days. I spent over $800 on mine a couple years ago and still wouldn't trade it for anything except one with more memory.
The third party apps alone are enough to ensure that nothing will surpass it for a long time because any feature on any other phone can be duplicated in an App and then purchased for a few bucks.

Can the iPhone 3G be used with tmobile?
if unlocked, the phone should work with a TMO SIM card. Voice service should be OK, possibly better depending on area.

The 3G iPhone runs a tri-band "3G data" chip operating at 850/1900/2100Mhz.

The US 3G network frequencies are:
- AT&T : 850/1900 MHz
- TMO : 1700/2100 MHz (1700 up and 2100 down IIRC)

Sounds like for TMO all you get would be EDGE (lower-speed).

Last edited:
I just bought myself and missus an unlocked Iphones. Easy to use phones especially if you use mac, its quite intuitive. Got a friend who stop using an Iphone to use a Nokia :confused:, he said it was 'not so easy' to use.

When I was talking to T-mobile support they said absolutelty I can use the Iphone. You just have to call them to get the internet settings. Of course you will get no support for the phone from T-mobile. I have a curve that is not supported by them and it is a pain sometimes. (I have 8300, they have the 8320 -- big deal..)

After using the storm for a few says, I really want one - but it will be verizon only -- at least for a while and they won't be unlocked. :(

The iphone is my best option if I want something cool.

I won't be able to get 3G in JAX though because mobile doesn't offer it yet. :(

The iPhone would be perfect...

... if it had a real keyboard.

To be fair, it does take some getting used to. However, once "used to" you can type pretty quick. I think that that one con is well outweighed by all of the pros.

FWIW, the downside to having both is that now I feel like I'm wearing the Batbelt.

FWIW, the downside to having both is that now I feel like I'm wearing the Batbelt.

:biggrin::biggrin:

I sometimes feel like that with only my BB holster so picturing you with both phones makes me laugh

Yes, but not for 3G broadband.

Tmobile 3G frequencies differ from AT&T's 3G frequencies for the iPhone.

You're better off buying a 2G iPhone with a metal shell and using that on T-mobile.

You can use an unlocked iPhone 3G on T-Mobile, but you will be limited to Edge speeds.

http://www.breakitdownblog.com/3g-iphone-may-not-work-on-t-mobile-3g-network

The iphone 1.0 is a quad band phone (GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900) and can operate on both ATT’s and T-mobile’s networks

The iPhone 2.0’s has the 3G chip “Infineon-sourced S-GOLD3“.
It’s a tri-band chip operating at 850/1900/2100Mhz.

ATT offers UMTS or 3G using 850mhz(the old TDMA band) and 1900mhz.
While T-mobile offers HSDPA (technically 3.5g part of the UMTS specification) using 1700MHz for uplink and 2100MHz downlink.

Because HSDPA is part of the UMTS spec, it’s backward compatable.HOWEVER you have the limiting factor begin the frequencies the individual carriers use to transmit the data..

Europe and Asia’s G3 runs on 1900/2100mhz
North and south America is suposed to use the (AWS) 3G spec using 1700/2100mhz

ATT didn’t want to wait, like T-mobile is doing, for homeland security to vacate those frequencies and launched on 850/1900mhz instead

The iphone2.0 would have to be 850/1700/1900/2100 3G and 850/1900 GSM (voice)
….
Since it’s 850/1900/2100Mhz you can get 3G on ATT and in Europe

So while you can crack iphone 2.0 and use Tmo’s EDGE, you will never get Tmo G3

…bastards
So you're better off getting a 2G iPhone on T-Mobile as it is not susceptible to cracks.

Back