• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Engine Revealed

sporteknik

"Honda reveals the 2015 NSX's powertrain, and it's now longitudinal! Twin-turbo direct injection V6 with dual-clutch transmission, rear electric motor and twin front electric motors."

1470140_10151834784461312_200206924_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wow
What a surprise.
Ted Klaus was right about "staying tuned"
The setup could have some large power numbers
And it's not a long stroke 60 degree V6 but looks like a 90 degree block like our C series.
Longitudinal, lower profile and DOHC.
Wonder how they will counter the weight hanging behind the rear axles?

I agree with others. Amazing. Not sure what the exact specs look like, but that drivetrain sure looks amazing.

How about letting people put down a deposit already !!:wink:

We're told Acura's benchmark in developing the new NSX is the vaunted Ferrari 458 Italia, with Acura hoping to provide a comparable or better driving experience for less money (911 prices, it says) and with more technology. The high-tech powertrain will be augmented by a surprisingly low curb weight that one engineer suggested was targeted at 2200 pounds, though he quickly stopped talking after that. We don't know much about the NSX's body and frame construction yet, but Honda confirmed it will be an aluminum monocoque. The Ferrari, by way of comparison, weighs a shade less than 3450 pounds.

I'm confused, how would they ever get near 2200 lbs with an aluminum monocoque when the CF Mclaren P1 and Laferrari can't even do that? I would think the 3500 lbs of the 458 with aluminum and the hybrid system would be hard to match already.

Hmmmm. Trunk space?

Will come with its own luggage kit. No worries:

what-the-heck-was-lebron-james-carrying-in-that-tiny-purse-he-brought-to-the-game-yesterday.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2200 is fantasy. Just some number supposedly one engineer muttered as a "target". If it is under 3000 that would be miraculous.

Twin turbo's and longitudinal engine mounting makes this a game changer. Now on to the aftermarket parts and if the tranny is capable we should have a 10 sec nsx with just a chip to the ecu.

I'm confused, how would they ever get near 2200 lbs with an aluminum monocoque when the CF Mclaren P1 and Laferrari can't even do that? I would think the 3500 lbs of the 458 with aluminum and the hybrid system would be hard to match already.

We were discussing this on another forum. Probably a typo and meant to put 3200, but it would be great if they could get under 3000. I'm guessing with the aluminum monocoque, extra weight with motors, batteries, and turbochargers, and similar dimensions to the 1st gen NSX, 3200 is a more realistic number. We shall have to wait and see!

Very good news coming out of Honda if this does hold true. Exciting.

Ohmigod...

OK, now I'm seriously stoked about the car. Don't care about trunk space (probably in the front). It doesn't look like there is much weight behind the rear axle, just part of the transmission. And the MT article mentioned lengthening the rear of the car slightly.

There is no way this car will weigh 2200 lbs, just no way, considering that is the weight of the Alfa 4c, and the US version is supposed to weigh closer to 2600.

this is definitely sounding like a worthy successor.

Now I hope they don't stick a stupid engine cover on this car. The engine needs to be on display.

Last edited:
At NSXPO2013, Ted Klaus stumbled on the trunk question. He really didn't give an answer. It was kinda like they have not figured that one out yet. Maybe you just get a FedEx credit with the car to ship your belongings. :smile:

Timing belt looks kinda tricky! LOL.

Last edited:
Back