• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Or Rebuilt Lift Struts?

I'm Tired of getting knocked out by my trunk lid, because of weak trunk struts. My glass lift struts aren't any better either! :mad:

I'm looking into either replacing or rebuilding my old ones.

Anyone in Canada have their sturts rebuilt by Frank Irvine @ Strutwise? I've heard some good things about him on this board.

I had my trunk struts replaced last year at Acura Sherway. MUCH nicer -- it was embarassing holding the trunk up with one hand while I put stuff in the back. I think it was under $200 for parts+labour.

My engine bay struts are also going and I'll probably get those replaced as well although I'm not in as big a hurry for that since the cover can be propped up to keep the glass open.

Got a quick response via E-Mail from Frank Irvine, cost of doing each strut is $40CND. Guess the price has gone up since his first few postings. But still a very good deal considering the alternatives to replacing with new.

I'm sending all 4 away soon as I get them off the car this week-end. There is a 2 day turn around back to you in Canada. Frank offers a 5year warranty on his re-built units.

Total cost would be $160CND+Taxes+shipping to Strutwise. I'll let you guys know how well the rebulit ones work when I get them in the car again. Hopefully no more holding the trunk or glass hactch on your expensive car looking like an idiot :rolleyes:

E-Mail Frank Irvine@ [email protected] for details, pricing, and info.

Frank is the MAN!!!
I had 4 set's done from him, turn around is quick and he send's you the bill when you get the strut's back. I added 10 pounds to my trunk, so he built me a extra strong set that works great.
Way cheaper than the dealer.

Frank did mine a couple of years ago .. I think I was the second one that he ever did and it took two attempts to get the pressure right on one of the sets but the trunk struts have been excellent .. even through a couple of winters. I had to have him re-do the engine hatch ones but there was prior evidence of someone using vice grips on the shaft and that likely affected the seal. He did re-charge them for no cost so he definitely stands behind his work.

Frank did my trunk struts and they seem to work well. I was tired of trying to look cool pulling up in the NSX and propping up the trunk with my golf putter to put the groceries in. Great service and quick turn around from Frank. I sent them with the balls on so installation took about 5 mins. I would be interested in a group rate as I want to get my engine hatch struts done this winter while my baby sleeps.

Heard back from Frank yesterday turns out one glass strut is bad and can't be rebuild too much plier damage to the shaft. I was very careful taking them out and got someone to help hold the glass and trunk while I removed them. Looks like the dealer was applying vise grips on the shafts before I bought it :(

Frank is offering a rebuilt unit for $80 so I will take that, can't wait to get them back in the car :cool:

Thanks,
Richard

Just had Frank rebuild all 4 of my struts and the turnaround was very quick. One set was $80 for the pair the other set was $90. Not sure why the price difference but is so much cheaper than new.

I think I may have this done...I keep forgetting about this since the cars are stored right now.

Finally got my strurts back a month ago, but didn't get them back in until a couple weeks ago. (Car is in Storage) One glass strut was unrepairable Frank sold me a new one for $80US. The other 3 were successfully rebuilt. The only complaint I have is the new strut he sent is longer in the strut body and came painted GREY! :mad: Hopefully no one will notice? It does fit same as the old, just longer strut body, so hopfully I won't have a problem.

That problem was easy fix with a can of $8 Matte Black spray paint. Struts are way stronger, especially the trunk ones. Now I don't have to worry about the hockey stick in my trunk anymore! :rolleyes:

I'm very disappointed to hear this. I have talked to Frank many times and can't believe that he would do this to you. I would go absolutely nutz if it was me. I have 8 units to send him and now have a bad taste in my mouth. I guess time will heal. I wonder what car that strut came from? Pinto?
Trev

Trunk Support Apparatus

RudeBoy_baby_NSX said:
... Now I don't have to worry about the hockey stick in my trunk anymore! :rolleyes:

hmmm... I can totally relate! Here's what I am currently using to support my trunk... :biggrin: (previously it was a Louisville Slugger, but it's not recommended to carry large, splintered, wooden bat w/ electrical tape covering the "sweet spot", in your trunk!) :redface:

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 166
Back