• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner 1998 NSX-T M6

I just became the proud owner of the NSX my good friend bought new back in 1998. His health has deteriorated and the car hasn't been driven in 3 years. He only changed the wheels to 1994 (I think) OEM chrome wheels. Of course he retained the originals as well. Car has 46,000 miles on it and was mostly driven in it's early years. The bad news is I can only find routine oil change and alignment history on the car. I cannot verify a timing belt change at any point. So, this winter is going to be an engine out major service. I'm going to do the timing belt, water pump, coolant hoses and clutch. I also plan to do a ATI damper as opposed to replacing the stock one and adding the shield. The car has been garaged it's whole life so everything looks new. The seat doesn't even have any wear marks. I don't know if I should get the board capacitors replaced this winter too. Currently, all electronics are functioning properly.

Welcome to Prime! Sounds like you scored a nice example of a NSX. Keep in mind the ATI pulley is a interference fit and it will require a puller to remove it- a bit more hassle if you ever need to service the car in the future. If the car has been sitting for a long time, I would also check the brake caliper pistons. They tend to rot/rust fairly easily if they sit for a long time in old brake fluid.

Welcome!

Congratulations and welcome!!!

as you are going "engine out" and you have a 98, do the LMAs as you have the old-style (like a hydraulic lifter) that tend to stick..especially on cars that aren't driven regularly.

I would also add a new timing belt tensioner pulley and spring to the list for the TB.

Do a transmission oil change and pull the oil pump suction screen basket out and inspect it.

New plugs and a valve adjustment (will be needed if you do LMAs...) are also "low hanging fruit that are easy to do with the engine out...

Finally, if you are really feeling adventurous, consider pulling the intake off and inspecting (I recommend tack welding while you are there) the VVIS butterfly valve screws.

I understand the challenge of taking a lower mileage car that hasn't had a lot of mileage put on it in recent years and having minimum maintenance history back to a car with a great "baseline" and not having to worry about major maintenance for the next 100K miles!!!

Here are some thoughts and resources I've cobbled together in my (now) 21+ years of ownership

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...to-new-NSX-Owners-(and-maybe-some-not-so-new)

Congratulations and welcome!!!

as you are going "engine out" and you have a 98, do the LMAs as you have the old-style (like a hydraulic lifter) that tend to stick..especially on cars that aren't driven regularly.

I would also add a new timing belt tensioner pulley and spring to the list for the TB.

Do a transmission oil change and pull the oil pump suction screen basket out and inspect it.

New plugs and a valve adjustment (will be needed if you do LMAs...) are also "low hanging fruit that are easy to do with the engine out...

Finally, if you are really feeling adventurous, consider pulling the intake off and inspecting (I recommend tack welding while you are there) the VVIS butterfly valve screws.

I understand the challenge of taking a lower mileage car that hasn't had a lot of mileage put on it in recent years and having minimum maintenance history back to a car with a great "baseline" and not having to worry about major maintenance for the next 100K miles!!!

Here are some thoughts and resources I've cobbled together in my (now) 21+ years of ownership

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...to-new-NSX-Owners-(and-maybe-some-not-so-new)

This is the first I have heard of LMA's. I don't think they're sticking as the car is running tip top. Do the manual transmissions have and oil pump or is the oil pump suction screen you talk about in the engine?

This is the first I have heard of LMA's. I don't think they're sticking as the car is running tip top. Do the manual transmissions have and oil pump or is the oil pump suction screen you talk about in the engine?

MT has an internal oil pump and the screen is inside the transmission case. There is also a magnet.

LMAs are a "when," not "if" proposition. The hydraulic pistons are over-engineered and will eventually bind on all NSX engines that use the original design. You can check them by pushing down on the VTEC rocker lobe- if it doesn't pop right back up, the LMA is bad.

I have not heard of the LMA issues. The car is running like a top, so I don't think I'll need to replace those. You guys gave some great starting tips though. I put in an order for the Davis coil water seals today.

Awesome! Congrats. I have a question for you guys. If I submitted a first time (New owner) post, does it take a long time for it to be approved? I am just making sure I know how to use this forum. Thanks

Congrats and welcome to Prime! Sounds like you scored an incredible example. Looks like you're already on track with the immediate to-do list so that the car can remain in optimal driving condition.

welcome ..looks like a solid example

Awesome! Congrats. I have a question for you guys. If I submitted a first time (New owner) post, does it take a long time for it to be approved? I am just making sure I know how to use this forum. Thanks

The software randomly puts folks (even me) into a moderation queue. Eventually it will let your post out. We really need to upgrade.

hmm I new there was a good reason I picked up an Y2K motor:biggrin:

Changes to the LMA design in 2000 my be fact....however, I have not read or heard of anyone having an LMA issue with a NA-2 3.2 engine.

I'm sure Honda have their reasons for the redesign.

Bram

Wow, the maintenance has been a lot of work. I've been plugging away all though January getting it up to snuff. I pulled the engine to make my first NSX belt change foolproof. I have done the LMA's, tack welded the intake butterfly screws, replace nearly every seal, spark plugs, water pump, thermostat, radiator, every coolant hose and the harmonic balancer with a Fluidamper. I'm glad the service manual was posted online for us all to reference. It's been really great to study up before doing each process. I ended up buying the SOS 275 clutch kit. I'm glad it's all ready to reinstall into the car. I need to thank Tim at OEM Acura. He was really helpful in sources everything I need to get the engine and transmission done.

I probably bit off a bit too much for my winter teardown. I sprung for a bunch of matte carbon fiber panels for the interior because I decided to do a stereo upgrade. I pulled all the factory stuff and boxed it up. I installed a Kenwood Excelon Reference head unit with a JL amp and SOS sub. I was surprised that my doors had so many broken tabs for the door liners. I had to get the MITA pieces to replace the stock ones. I also needed to change out every gas strut as the truck and engine hatch loved to drop on your head. I can't believe I dropped over $8000 in parts in 60 days!

I can't wait for spring!

After two months of work I'm nearly done with all the maintenance. I did everything in one shot. Once you drop the rear assembly, it's pretty easy to access the valvetrain. I did all the coolant hoses, timing belt, water pump, lma's, plugs, gaskets and intake butterfly tack welds. The fluids all looked really good, but knowing it's all fresh is good piece of mind.

I also did some interior work. I'm such a sucker for matte carbon fiber and the Euroboutique parts were really calling my name. I did a Kenwood Excelon Reference head unit with HD backup camera and SOS subwoofer/ speakers. I mounted a small waterproof JL amplifier on the spare tire carrier.

The software randomly puts folks (even me) into a moderation queue. Eventually it will let your post out. We really need to upgrade.

Ahh, that`s why. I thought an Moderator would release my postings. I think, there are just about 4-6 postings still stuck somewhere.... :/
Would be great to inform the "Newbies" in a sticky thread. I guess, a lot of the people are wondering and asking the same questions(?).

---

Anyway... welcome on board. :)

Congratz on the NA2 of yours.
The painting seems like, it is waiting for a polish. :)

I changed the LMAs after just over 12000km on the engine (NA1). But on the other hand, I drive my B18C6 with 200tkm still with the same LMAs, as well as my B16A2 with 245tkm.
Maybe it is more critical on the C30A/C32, to change the LMAs ....

I'm finally done with all of the winter maintenance and upgrades. The engine sounds awesome. I might have had some LMA's sticking, so I'm glad I did the full meal deal to the top end. The engine is smooth and the new Pride LW exhaust is fantastic. I had another moment of weakness and bought KW V3's for it. Those were easy to put on with new ILift top hats from SoS. Now I need the snow to stop so I can enjoy some of fruits of labor!

Back