• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New pic and new HP figures...

EAC

Legendary Member
Acura already confirmed that a concept version of the next NSX supercar would bow at the Detroit auto show, but now a report from Auto Express reveals two other key details on the new car. The new NSX will reportedly produce close to 400 hp, and will be offered in roadster form alongside the already-previewed coupe.
As we reported earlier this month, the resurrected Acura NSX bows in concept form at the 2012 Detroit show before going on sale in 2014. Serving as a technological halo car for the brand, the new NSX will feature a new hybrid SH-AWD drivetrain. A gasoline engine will drive the rear axle through a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, while twin electric motors will propel the front wheels.
Acura has not yet revealed any performance specifications for the new car, but AE suggests the hybrid drivetrain will produce at least 400 hp, managing the 0-to-62-mph sprint in less than five seconds. The publication also suggests the NSX’s gasoline engine will be a 3.5-liter V-6.
As to design, the NSX concept stays close to the styling seen on a prop car developed for action film The Avengers. Whereas the movie mock-up is a coupe, the Detroit-bound NSX concept will be an aggressive, angular coupe with wide rear haunches and Acura’s signature triangular front grille. However, AE reports that Acura also will develop a roadster version of the car for series production. If so, the topless NSX might debut some time after the coupe goes on sale.
As was the case with the original NSX, the supercar will be badged as a Honda outside the U.S., but an Acura on our shores.
We’ll learn more about the Acura NSX concept, including its hybrid drivetrain, at the Detroit auto show in January 2012. For the latest news surrounding the 2012 Detroit auto show, stay with AutomobileMag.com.

Read more: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/rep...-hp-roadster-version-97469.html#ixzz1hx1uOkVo

car_photo_485974_25.jpg

car_photo_485971_25.jpg

Last edited:
0-60 under 5 seconds. Yawn.

2014?????????? More yawn.

Nice looking car, though. 400hp no way it will command 100k+ and there is no way Honda's 3.5l can produce 400 in any non FI trim. I am also thinking steel body and 3700lb weight.

honda can easily get 120hp/l out of the motor na to get 400hp, but imo this whole exercise will be about the drivetrain,the body will be secondary.The buyer of this car will be buying the technology,not so much the asthetics/performance benchmarks.Honda has been working on the drivetrain for quite some time,its just the layout/package appearence that has remained fluid.

0-60 under 5 seconds. Yawn.

2014?????????? More yawn.

Nice looking car, though. 400hp no way it will command 100k+ and there is no way Honda's 3.5l can produce 400 in any non FI trim. I am also thinking steel body and 3700lb weight.

It will sell mainly because of the hybrid tech and looks. Let's see who will execute the hybrid tech better, Toyota or Honda?

Many sources have confirmed aluminum body like the original NSX. I bet it will be at least 3400 lbs with the hybrid complications tho :frown:

It still doesn't look as exotic as the first NSX.

other benchmarks this go'around...

It's seemingly a different ballgame now, from Honda's perspective. Upon the release of the model-year '91 NSX, the target was an everyday exotic to counter Ferrari 348 & eventual 355, Lotus ESPRIT, Porsche 911 Carrera/Turbo, and even Chevrolet Corvette.

Fast forward to 2011, the niche of the Ferrari 458 Italia, Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi R8 V8/V10, McLaren MP4-12C, etc. isn't being targeted. Instead, Honda presumably sees ~$100k being spent on BMW 6-series coupes, Mercedes Benz E-class AMG coupe's, Nissan GTR's, Aston Martin Vantage V8's, etc. and offers up a high-performing, advance-tech, well-built sporty-GT alternative.

Being NSX owners/enthusiasts, we obviously want Honda to target the former group as opposed to the latter. Seemingly, it seems that Honda may be trying to bridge the two groups, though it's plausible it may just end up in no-man's land like the Lexus LF-A (more exotic than the Ferrari 599GTO-Fiorano & AM DB-S, but [arguably] not as exotic as the Lambo Aventador & Carrera-GT / Zonda / Koenigsegg / Spyker/ etc).

For me, all the talk of this forthcoming Honda/Acura model begins & ends w/ (rear) mid-engine or not... :redface:

Last edited:
It still doesn't look as exotic as the first NSX.

I agree. The S2000 windshield shape or angle does not help and the side mirrors must flow from the body and not protrude from the windows.

Like Osiris mentioned, mid-engine layout is key. It must have that long and exaggerated rear fender with a short or balanced front nose. This is the exotic stance. The NSX pulls this off well if you photograph it right or just look upon it from a distance where perspective will not skew the long lines.

These are just photo chops, so let's hold judgement til we see the concept debut.

Looks good to me. From the pics (albeit an artist's rendering), the car looks rear mid-engined and overall stance and lines are probably the best looking Honda product designed in a long time.

"A gasoline engine will drive the rear axle through a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, while twin electric motors will propel the front wheels." :rolleyes:

*sigh*.... how discouraging

oh well - I'm very happy with mine :cool:

Pay no attention to these numbers. The engine hp numbers they're referring to is for the RL. They've already said off record that the 400hp set up isn't stout enough for the NSX.

A little less than two weeks till the show and I promise you guys I'll have specs in a thread as soon as Ito is finished talking:biggrin:

Found it. Here's where Someone at Honda says that the new 3.5L V6 isn't stout enough for the NSX

Acura wouldn't tell us anything about the engine or powertrain, but off the record they were quick to tell us that the announced Electric SH-AWD system with 3.5L DI V6 was clearly not potent enough for this car. It should be noted that THAT powertrain, with its 7-speed dual clutch gearbox and 3 electric motors, develops a peak output in the neighborhood of 400hp. Obviously with the MR layout, Honda has to engineer a very specific setup for this car, and we're assuming it will essentially be a reversed layout compared to the FF-oriented design which was revealed previously.

Last edited:
I think they are going after the BMW i8 with this car.

I expect similar performance. Hopefully it will be a 500HP hybrid monster that can smoke the BMW for the same price and get 92 MPG. :)

I still think they should offer a hybrid and normal version. 475HP hybrid and 550 turbo v6. Let the customer decide if they want to go green. :)

I think they are going after the BMW i8 with this car.

I expect similar performance. Hopefully it will be a 500HP hybrid monster that can smoke the BMW for the same price and get 92 MPG. :)

I still think they should offer a hybrid and normal version. 475HP hybrid and 550 turbo v6. Let the customer decide if they want to go green. :)

LOL I still think it's sooo funny you guys keep bringing up a turbo V6. Now that is truly a unicorn :biggrin:

Power should definitely be between 450-500hp. Again the biggest test will be how much hp they get from the V6 by itself. The electric motors will be providing a huge amount of tq as this car will have over 500lbtq and that tq will be instant from the electric motors. Hang tight the pic is a guesstimate.

Ok from a guy who's actually seen the NSX

AutoExpress has rendered this car as a Honda, and of course the NSX Concept to be shown in Detroit is an Acura, so there are obviously some differences in the grill area. The headlights and taillights in these graphics are shaped pretty accurately, but the lighting elements within the housings are different than what was shown on the actual concept car. The general stance of the vehicle shown in these graphics is pretty close, but the detailing of the back third of the vehicle (particularly the flying buttress c-pillar and the rear air inlets) is probably the least accurate part of these sketches. In less than two weeks you'll be able to see real photos for yourself and we were told that there should be some other details released at that time as well.

The above is from Jeff at Vtec.net
http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1025582

Thanks for the colors. Honestly can't wait to see what the color palette will be.

I would love if they did a vert but only if it was designed to be a vert from the beginning and not an after thought like our targa lol.

Not liking the windshield/roof section. Doesn't flow with the car. Looks kinda boxy. It makes the whole car look like new american muscle cars to me.

for some reason it looks similar to an Opel Speedster

Influenced by R8, through and through.
The front is alright, the tail looks like a 90's car.

Back