• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Purchase - Drive or Ship?

Had the same dilema in May -- whether to ship my '02 from Arkansas to MD, or drive it 1,000 miles. After looking at shipper reviews online (including for those companies that advertise in Dupont Registry), I decided to drive the 1,000 miles. The car had only 14,600 miles on it, so another 1,000 was nothing. And the drive was a lot of fun. And yes, you do learn a lot about the car. Plus you get to "bond" with the car.:tongue:

The only downside was a few rock ships from 1,000 miles of highway driving.

The shippers who you pay are often not the folks who do the actual shipping. Often a "sub-contracted" shipping company ships the vehicle. When I read the reviews that customers wrote, I found that even the better companies were often extremely late (or rather, the shippers they in turn hired) because of the nature of the business; the truckers lied about where they were (GPS tracking is very useful) or when they would be able to deliver the car; and according to a surprising number of customers, shippers scratched or damaged their cars.

Get the timing belt and water pump replaced, and then drive the car home.

I bought my 1996 with 96,000 miles and no records of ANY maintnance. I immeduately drove it almost 700 miles home.

I did timing belt and water pump 1 month later myself.

So have you decided what you are going to do yet?

LOL. Drive it. bunch of worry warts around here.

Greg Z, aren't you the one with the post that it blew up after getting it home?

I don't have the heart to do a LOL on that one... that is just too painful a story.

Since you plan to have the TB/WP & hoses replaced anyway, it seems the best bet would to be to have it done before the drive home... personally I'm not sure how much I would trust shippers. I'm sure there are some great ones out there... most people are fine, but the two people I know who had cars shipped had some damage.

Personally, it depends on the time frame. If I had time and there was a reputable service there I would just have it done there and drive it home. If not, more likely than not I would drive it home, enjoy the ride, and pray for the best.

Of course, if the TB broke and the engine was toast, you would be kick'n yourself for years to come...

Let us know what you decide and post some pictures :biggrin:

So have you decided what you are going to do yet?

Greg Z, aren't you the one with the post that it blew up after getting it home?

I don't have the heart to do a LOL on that one... that is just too painful a story.

:

Yes. And I should have taken my own advice and driven instead of tailored. Because THEN, it would have happen minutes after purchase and been just down the street from the seller and I can assure you I would have called the seller and told him where his car is and put a stop payment on funds.

Fix it. Then drive it. It'll probably be the longest drive you'll ever do in your nsx and a great maiden voyage that you'll remember forever.

Stories of hours and days and miles on the road crossing state lines, making stops here and there are much more fun to to be told and heard than those of waiting for the truck to show up at your doorstep.

I didn't mean to be mean.:redface: I got the chills like everyone else when I read Greg Z's thread.

Sorry, Greg Z. I'm pullin' for ya.

DITTO for me.... I just thought how ironic was that???

I feel your pain Greg Z. I too am pulling for you... that it will be a fairly simple fix, not too expensive and that the previous owner may chip in to help defer some of the costs.

I will be posting a question later.... then you can all tell me I'm crazy... my car is in the snap ring range and driving on it... so I too may be play'n russian roulette.

Odds are greater of having an auto collision than having your belt break, But dont take my word before doing a search to find one instance of TB failure and that should speak for itself.

If real life outcomes dont substantiate a theory its safe to say that theory is severely flawed

Let the flames begin...

Last edited:
Its a Honda drive it.

Back