• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

New style water pump

The new style water pump has some bleed nozzle on a side. I think the plastic timming belt cover needs to be trimmed so the nozzle can stick out ?

My question is, is there an OEM nozzle plug to close this bleed hole or any rubber cup would do the job, or it connects someware back to the engine?

Thanks,
Dave

winreboot said:
The new style water pump has some bleed nozzle on a side. I think the plastic timming belt cover needs to be trimmed so the nozzle can stick out ?
Yes the cover needs a hole drilled in it
winreboot said:
My question is, is there an OEM nozzle plug to close this bleed hole or any rubber cup would do the job, or it connects someware back to the engine?
???
winreboot said:
Thanks,
Dave

I think the bleed hole (nozzle) is open by default and it will let the coolant out or is it one way valve ?

Thanks

If coolant is coming out of this area it is telling you your water pump seal is leaking (mostly extremely slightly) In the original design the "weep hole" was connected to the cover on the inside. This led to the possibiltiy of a bad water pump dripping coolant inside the timing cover onto the timing belt, and more importantly not very visible. Obviously not good.

The newer cover extends the nipple out past the cover, so if your water pump starts to weep you can see it, and it will not drip onto the timing belt. This is why you need to drill a hole in the older cover or replace the cover with the newer style.

I am thinking you might be asking: Is there an OEM plug to cover to original hole in the case you have decided to drill the new hole? If so, not that I know of, but you can use some silicone sealer, or get a rubber plug that you can install from the outside, making sure the plug has a lip so it cannot under any curcumstances end up inside the cover.

It would be a disaster if it went inside.

HTH,
LarryB

Back