• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Next NSX = Front Engine, Next Corvette = Mid-Engine

bullshit_meter.gif

1990_chevrolet_corvettecer_.jpg

You all realize this car was designed back around 1990, before the C5 came out.

They've been toying with this crap for years...doubt they'll do it. (Can chevy really risk possibly destroying an icon right now??? The have other financial issues to deal with at the moment.)

Personally, I think it would be fantastic...honestly it'll probably never happen.

If I remember right the Blue concept Corvette in the above photo was 1st shown in, get this, May 1986 (Senior year in high school). I remember this because it was the first car magazine I ever bought. The May 1986 copy of Car & Driver cover shot. That issue had a test of the 86/87 Ferrari 328GTS, and I been a sucker for sports cars ever since. The concept car was called the Corvette Indy. I know I always kept that copy and it's probably a little worn, but I'll see if I can find it and post the cover.

Look closely at the wheels - they look about mid-80's in design (C4?).

I would hate to lose anything on the dash...I don't know if I could reach the 20ft to where the window meets it!

I swear ever since the NSX came out the vette has been doing everything it can to be like the NSX... :rolleyes: bleh! further blurring the lines between the NSX and that monstrosity.

I think chevy is mad that Ford has a supercar and they don't. But even if the vette was mid-engine, I still wouldn't classify it higher than a high-performance sports car. I also think a mid-engine corvette would turn away a good percentage of their target audience.

I seriously doubt they'll do it.

As far as the next NSX. If it's not mid-engine, they better not call it a NSX.

I went to the corvette plant/museum in kentucky and there were like 10 or so different mid-engine designs and mockups and prototypes going as far back as the 60's. My guess is that certain members of the design team have always wanted to move the engine back and make the car into a true sportscar but the GM bean-counters won't let them.

Back